JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Lots of buzz on Diaz, Lugo has pitched well might be the closer down the stretch, I’m trying to decide between him and Martin 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rotoworld blurb says Hirano is most likely replacement if a change is made, but Lopez has the most recent save on the team and pitched the 8th in the game where Holland blew it.  He doesn't have typical closer "stuff" though -- only 6.2 K/9.   Bradley was a hot name in the past, but doesn't seem to have the same stuff as a few years ago. What does everyone think?

Edited by swingbatter

19 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Rotoworld blurb says Hirano is most likely replacement if a change is made, but Lopez has the most recent save on the team and pitched the 8th in the game where Holland blew it.  He doesn't have typical closer "stuff" though -- only 6.2 K/9.   Bradley was a hot name in the past, but doesn't seem to have the same stuff as a few years ago. What does everyone think?

The next closer will hold the gig for 5 minutes.

Colin Poche is basically Tony Cingrani.

• Like 1

Eovaldi is so bad who knows why the Red Sox thought he was deserving of more money than Kimbrel lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Colin Poche is basically Tony Cingrani.

If you mean he only throws fastballs, then yes. Colin Poche only throws fastballs. Literally. He had some success b/c he hides the ball well in his delivery. League’s caught up. He’s been horrible in his last 7 outings. 

23 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Eovaldi is so bad who knows why the Red Sox thought he was deserving of more money than Kimbrel lol.

Well they gave that money to Eovaldi to be a starter, and he will be back in the rotation next year. Kimbrel wanted 6 years, 100 million. Giving him that would have been insane, especially after how shaky he looked in the postseason. We will see how great the Kimbrel deal looks for your Cubs when they are paying him 16 mil in 2021.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Nick Anderson time?

Anderson the favorite, yes. Behind Anderson right now would be Jarlin Garcia who’s on a run of 18 consecutive scoreless appearances. Trevor Richards recently moved to the bullpen and his stuff could play up there too — he has a great changeup.

Edited by 9703

Just now, Random Dude said:

Are we all assuming Rogers maintains the 9th?

I think Rogers will get the majority, but I could see Romo getting a few saves too. I’m a Marlins fan (unfortunately) and Romo really hasn’t been that bad this year. His slider is still great.

Eovaldi is toast

• Like 1

Done deal. All closer sites have Anderson as the guy. My opinion is that Rogers is still the traditional closer with Romo setting up. And it begins!!

I hadn't realized, Anderson has been really good since June 1---19 ip, 2.75 ERA, 26/2 K/BB WHIP of 1

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

Are we all assuming Rogers maintains the 9th?

I can't really see any chance Romo would replace Rogers.  I look at this as good news for Rogers owners that the Twins didn't aim higher with someone who could have taken his job (ie, Giles, Vazquez, Yates, etc).

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Done deal. All closer sites have Anderson as the guy. My opinion is that Rogers is still the traditional closer with Romo setting up. And it begins!!

Anderson's certainly their best option, but with the Marlins you never know though since winning clearly isn't management's #1 priority.  Since this is obviously a lost season, is it possible the Marlins could keep Anderson as a setup man to keep his arbitration costs lower?

Edited by FootballFan101

7 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I can't really see any chance Romo would replace Rogers.  I look at this as good news for Rogers owners that the Twins didn't aim higher with someone who could have taken his job (ie, Giles, Vazquez, Yates, etc).

I'm sure they'll still be in on some of those guys. Their pen needs a lot of help, doubt they think just getting Romo solves it. 

Are we hopping back on the Workman wagon? At least until Boston signs someone?

First of a ton of new closers in the next week

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, JameisofThrones said:

I've said this before, but as nasty as Munoz has been (albeit in a small sample size), I doubt that the Padres would throw a 20-year old kid into the pressure of the closer role with so few MLB innings under his belt, even if he might have the best arm and arsenal for the job. I'd agree on Stammen, as unexciting as that may be.

Strahm is an option as well.   Depends on if they want to try him again in the rotation next year.