JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Strahm is an option as well.   Depends on if they want to try him again in the rotation next year. 

Agree. I was surprised to see Stammen enter in the sixth tonight. I drafted Strahm as a starter this year and I think its clear that he is better suited to the bullpen, and SD has plenty of arms for the rotation next year. I think he'd probably be best used in that multi-inning set-up role that Hader had last year, but they could certainly give him a look in the ninth this year if they deal Yates

7 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I can't really see any chance Romo would replace Rogers.  I look at this as good news for Rogers owners that the Twins didn't aim higher with someone who could have taken his job (ie, Giles, Vazquez, Yates, etc).

I think there is a very good chance that Romo is the closer and Rogers moves back to the fireman. The Twins like him there and he's a lefty. That doesn't mean they won't leave him in for a 2 inning save or even the traditional save from time to time. They know he's their best bullpen arm and like to use him accordingly. I never got the feeling that they wanted him as the closer all season. The rest of the pen was terrible. Everyone knew they would be adding at least one arm before the trade deadline. Romo can get the job done and will come a lot cheaper than some of the other names mentioned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codog24 said:

I think there is a very good chance that Romo is the closer and Rogers moves back to the fireman. The Twins like him there and he's a lefty. That doesn't mean they won't leave him in for a 2 inning save or even the traditional save from time to time. They know he's their best bullpen arm and like to use him accordingly. I never got the feeling that they wanted him as the closer all season. The rest of the pen was terrible. Everyone knew they would be adding at least one arm before the trade deadline. Romo can get the job done and will come a lot cheaper than some of the other names mentioned.

If the Twins wanted Rogers as the fireman or the setup man, they could have just left Parker as closer.  Parker wasn't great and was certainly a below average closer, but he had roughly the same numbers as Romo until Parker's last game where he got totally demolished by the Yankees.  I feel like the Twins promoted Rogers because he was clearly their best pitcher and deserved the promotion, and that hasn't changed by adding Romo.  In saying that, Baldelli hasn't purely used Rogers as a traditional closer using him multiple innings often, so Romo may be able to pick some saves when Rogers isn't available after going two innings the day before.  I just don't see this trade as hurting Rogers's value.

Current question marks: 

Twins - I still think they keep Rogers in the closer spot but that there may be times where he gets put in sooner to hold a tight lead, allowing Romo to get a save here and there. Fwiw I'm holding Romo until I see Rogers get the next save though. 

D-backs - I haven't seen anything yet where they've indicated Holland is definitely out as the closer. However, the comments made by the manager don't bode well for him but it sounds like they might not yet know who they want to take over the role. This one could be messy. 

Red Sox - I think it's Workman unless they trade for a closer. Eovaldi struggled again yesterday giving up 3 hits and two runs in the 8th.  

Marlins - Looks to me like Nick Anderson is the add here. 

Rangers - Hold Martin until we see a healthy Kelley. Unless Martin is traded and Kelley remains injured I don't know that we'll see Leclerc close this season. 

Situations affected by potential trades:

Giants - There are too many variables for them I feel based on the possibility that their current closer and two of the expected incumbents could all be traded. 

White Sox - If/when Colome is traded you would think it's Bummer next. 

Royals - I don't think Kennedy gets moved. 

I know I'm missing some so add what you think. 

• Like 3

^ I'm not too confident Holland gets the job back. Not that I feel like someone will run away with the job. It's just that this rarely ever works in the favor of the guy getting the break. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, twistedude said:

So is Hirano the add in Arizona?

Yoan Lopez

AZ pen is filled with guys who have a higher bb/9 than k/bb lol not great

• Like 2

Just now, street sharks said:

AZ pen is filled with guys who have a higher bb/9 than k/bb lol not great

Yeah I just dropped Holland and am staying away from speculating on that pen for now. 

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

^ I'm not too confident Holland gets the job back. Not that I feel like someone will run away with the job. It's just that this rarely ever works in the favor of the guy getting the break. 

Yea, I'll hold in the league I have him and sees how it shakes out, but it's not common the guy getting removed gains the role back quickly.  He had a rough stretch in the beginning of July, but really hasn't been THAT bad after the break.  "play the matchups" just means I'm going to find a guy who won't blow games in the 9th and stick with him.  

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I agree.  Managers always say that to avoid destroying someone's confidence, but demoted closers hardly ever regain the job for the same team in the same season.  Brad Ausmus said the exact same thing about Cody Allen a few weeks before the Angels cut him.  Chris Woodward said the same thing about Jose LeClerc, who has put together 3 dominant months in a row but hasn't gotten another save opportunity despite his long-term contract.

If I had to speculate on who gets the first chance in Arizona, I'd guess Yoan Lopez, but I don't think he'll last there either due to his pitiful K rate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Current question marks: 

Twins - I still think they keep Rogers in the closer spot but that there may be times where he gets put in sooner to hold a tight lead, allowing Romo to get a save here and there. Fwiw I'm holding Romo until I see Rogers get the next save though. 

D-backs - I haven't seen anything yet where they've indicated Holland is definitely out as the closer. However, the comments made by the manager don't bode well for him but it sounds like they might not yet know who they want to take over the role. This one could be messy. 

Red Sox - I think it's Workman unless they trade for a closer. Eovaldi struggled again yesterday giving up 3 hits and two runs in the 8th.  

Marlins - Looks to me like Nick Anderson is the add here. 

Rangers - Hold Martin until we see a healthy Kelley. Unless Martin is traded and Kelley remains injured I don't know that we'll see Leclerc close this season. 

Situations affected by potential trades:

Giants - There are too many variables for them I feel based on the possibility that their current closer and two of the expected incumbents could all be traded. 

White Sox - If/when Colome is traded you would think it's Bummer next. 

Royals - I don't think Kennedy gets moved. 

I know I'm missing some so add what you think. 

I think there's a decent chance that the Jays move Giles and that the Tigers move Greene.  If Giles gets traded, Hudson would be one to add, assuming he doesn't get traded himself.  If Greene gets moved, I'm not sure anyone is worth adding in Detroit.  Jimenez has been really bad this year, and the Tigers are the worst team in baseball.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I think there's a decent chance that the Jays move Giles and that the Tigers move Greene.  If Giles gets traded, Hudson would be one to add, assuming he doesn't get traded himself.  If Greene gets moved, I'm not sure anyone is worth adding in Detroit.  Jimenez has been really bad this year, and the Tigers are the worst team in baseball.

Just worth note, while Hudson would be the one to grab, his name has popped up in plenty of rumors as well. So you may want to keep that in mind.

I agree completely about the Tigers. If Greene is dealt, I don't see anyone worth gambling on. Might as well trade for Mychal Givens.

Edited by nlm

50 minutes ago, nlm said:

Just worth note, while Hudson would be the one to grab, his name has popped up in plenty of rumors as well. So you may want to keep that in mind.

I agree completely about the Tigers. If Greene is dealt, I don't see anyone worth gambling on. Might as well trade for Mychal Givens.

The Orioles are terrible, but in fairness Givens isn't actually a bad pitcher.  He has a career 3.29 ERA and 1.14 WHIP.  By contrast, Jimenez, for all the talk about him being Greene's successor, has a career 5.82 ERA and 1.38 WHIP.  Overall, I get your point and I agree with it, I'm just saying Givens is a heck better than Jimenez.

• Like 1

Hunter Strickland activated today for Seattle.  Any Mariners fans have some insight on if he will take back over as closer if Elias isn't traded?  I'm sure many were DL-stashing Strickland and had scooped Elias, so they only have room to keep 1. 

3 hours ago, street sharks said:

“Dependent on matchups”

gross 

That's just code for whoever steps up and takes the job will keep the job.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Anderson has been working in the 8th. Gotta be him. 

Hmmm, Anderson working the 8th inning today.  Anderson is obviously their best reliever, but with the Marlins you never know because winning isn't their #1 priority.  I wonder who gets the 9th?  Wei-Yin Chen because he makes the most money?

Edited by FootballFan101

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Hmmm, Anderson working the 8th inning today.  Anderson is obviously their best reliever, but with the Marlins you never know because winning isn't their #1 priority.  I wonder who gets the 9th?  Wei-Yin Chen because he makes the most money?

And things aren't going well in the eighth for Anderson.....loads the bases with one out

EDIT: Gets a K and a fly out against Peralta and Jones to escape. Definitely interesting usage though.

Edited by JameisofThrones

Jarlin Garcia warming for the Marlins in the top of the 8th.

Garcia's quietly put up 16 straight scoreless appearances. Could be the guy!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Jarlin Garcia warming for the Marlins in the top of the 8th.

Garcia's quietly put up 16 straight scoreless appearances. Could be the guy!

You could be right.  While Garcia's ERA is impressive, it's mostly been smoke and mirrors as his K rate is pitiful though.

Edited by FootballFan101

I still think it is Nick Anderson.  This wasn't an actual save situation and the D-Backs were gonna have the stronger part of their line up at bat in the 8th.  This includes one of their best in Marte and if he gets on, then Escobar as well.   So it only made sense from a coaching stand point to have Anderson come on in to take care of them.  It's almost like a save situation without it being an actual save situation.  Anderson made it interesting but got the job done.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Almost time to play everyone’s favorite new game: Who the Hell is Closing Today for Tampa!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Almost time to play everyone’s favorite new game: Who the Hell is Closing Today for Tampa!?!?!

And if you said Oliver Drake come forward and grab your prize!