JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Almost time to play everyone’s favorite new game: Who the Hell is Closing Today for Tampa!?!?!

And if you had Ollie Drake, you are correct. Your prize is him not getting another save opp for three weeks....

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Almost time to play everyone’s favorite new game: Who the Hell is Closing Today for Tampa!?!?!

Drake got the first out.  Looks like it will be Castillo.

Seriously what is going on in Tampa?

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

And if you had Ollie Drake, you are correct. Your prize is him not getting another save opp for three weeks....

Went to the judges, and it turns out the correct response was Castillo. You receive no points, and God have mercy on your soul (if you chase Rays saves)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lebanasty said:

Drake got the first out.  Looks like it will be Castillo.

Haha, of course. Is Kevin Cash a Gabe Kapler disciple?

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Seriously what is going on in Tampa?

I mean, of all the franchises in the majors, it can't be surprising to you that the Rays don't care about traditional closer roles.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, miasma16 said:

I mean, of all the franchises in the majors, it can't be surprising to you that the Rays don't care about traditional closer roles.

Could they narrow down the field to at least four guys?

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Could they narrow down the field to at least four guys?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It was nice while it lasted with Hendriks and given that he was a FA pickup I can't complain too much, but it seems like he finally woke up and remember he's Liam Hendriks.  Those career ratios speak for themselves.

Does anyone have any feel-good stories about who you were able to get selling high on Hendriks before this past week?

Edited by FootballFan101

4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

It was nice while it lasted with Hendriks and given that he was a FA pickup I can't complain too much, but it seems like he finally woke up and remember he's Liam Hendriks.  Those career ratios speak for themselves.

Does anyone have any feel-good stories about who you were able to get selling high on Hendriks before this past week?

I'm not worried about him. Today was yet another crappy situation they threw him into to try and bail out the other guys in the pen. He gave up the inherited runs and then one himself. The other rough outing he had recently on the 21st was his 3rd day in a row after throwing 2 and 2/3 innings in his previous two outings in which he earned clean saves. Also, last night was yet another clean save. His career numbers don't mean much to me after what he's done all year. 

• Like 2

I don't understand why people are still trying to figure out Tampa. It's pretty clear at this point they aren't going to roll with one guy.

• Like 1

Just now, Tugginroot said:

Hendricks in trouble with his job then?

I wouldn't say he's in danger of losing it yet.  But let's be real: coming into this year, he had a career 4.72 ERA and was designated for assignment 5 times.  That doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

2 minutes ago, Trilogy25 said:

LeClerc entering the game for the save opp

Is Martin warming up?  LeClerc already allows a leadoff hit.  Third day in a row he's pitching.

4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I wouldn't say he's in danger of losing it yet.  But let's be real: coming into this year, he had a career 4.72 ERA and was designated for assignment 5 times.  That doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Many pitchers have had high ERAs and then became better pitchers later in their careers. He's been lights out. Thrown into a poor situation today.

Posted (edited)

Jose LeClerc imploding in the 9th inning...stop me if you've heard this one before

Two runners on, already thrown 15 pitches and gotten no outs, now facing the middle of the lineup.

Edited by FootballFan101

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

As a martin owner..hoping for a leclerc blown save

Ask and ye shall receive..lolol

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Ask and ye shall receive..lolol

Gotta really question why Woodward went with LeClerc over Martin today.  Third day in a row for LeClerc, not to mention he's proven that he can't handle the pressure of the 9th.  Martin meanwhile had yesterday off, converted the save on Friday, and has been lights out all month.

LeClerc all year whenever it appears he’s straightened out and ready for high leverage duties 

spacer.png

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Who cares about what Hendricks numbers were before this year?

He didn’t throw high 90’s heat with a great strikeout rate before this year. 

Mark Canha, who shouldn’t be playing CF, taking a weird angle on the game-tying 2B didn’t help matters today.

Edited by 9703
  • Like 5

No one should tout LeClerq again this season.   What a pathetic performance.  He was a choking dog. 

• Like 1