JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

17 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

As a martin owner..hoping for a leclerc blown save

As a Chris Martin owner, this was an absolute best-case scenario.  LeClerc could not possibly have looked any worse.

Bad news for both Martin and LeClerc owners. Martin seems as good as gone and LeClerc doesn't have the sack for the job.

8 minutes ago, el_Mantico said:

Bad news for both Martin and LeClerc owners. Martin seems as good as gone and LeClerc doesn't have the sack for the job.

You think Martin didn't pitch today because the Rangers already had a deal lined up for him?  Maybe you are right.  That's really the only defensible reason I can think of for Woodward going with Jose LeChoke for the 3rd day in a row.

7 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

You think Martin didn't pitch today because the Rangers already had a deal lined up for him?  Maybe you are right.  That's really the only defensible reason I can think of for Woodward going with Jose LeChoke for the 3rd day in a row.

Hard to tell, maybe the skip wanted to see how he would once again handle a closing opportunity, guess he got his answer if that was the case

8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Not only that, but he went with two totally untested guys in the 8th even though Martin was more rested than LeClerc

2 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Hard to tell, maybe the skip wanted to see how he would once again handle a closing opportunity, guess he got his answer if that was the case

Wasn't the whole month of April enough to tell that? :)

Posted (edited)

Report (per CBS Sports) is Martin was unavailable due to a "stiff back"... 

Edited by LarryChip10

53 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I'm not worried about him. Today was yet another crappy situation they threw him into to try and bail out the other guys in the pen. He gave up the inherited runs and then one himself. The other rough outing he had recently on the 21st was his 3rd day in a row after throwing 2 and 2/3 innings in his previous two outings in which he earned clean saves. Also, last night was yet another clean save. His career numbers don't mean much to me after what he's done all year. 

32 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Who cares about what Hendricks numbers were before this year?

He didn’t throw high 90’s heat with a great strikeout rate before this year. 

Mark Canha, who shouldn’t be playing CF, taking a weird angle on the game-tying 2B didn’t help matters today.

Also worth mentioning that on the play that scored the go ahead run in the 8th, Hendriks reached to deflect the ball that in all likelihood would have been an inning ending double play.  As it was, he was lucky that Profar made a diving barehanded play to get the runner at first.

25 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Yep I'm done with Leclerc. What a bum.

Threw plenty of sliders out over the plate and fastball was all over the place.

Even if Martin is moved, Kelley could be back in 2 weeks and Leclerc goes right back to being the fireman, where he has been pretty reliable.

What are Vazquez owners doing this week? Non-zero chance he’s dealt and if it’s to the Dodgers, as rumored, he’s out of a closers gig. Not like the pathetic Pirates to given him any opps, but his numbers are excellent.

10 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

What are Vazquez owners doing this week? Non-zero chance he’s dealt and if it’s to the Dodgers, as rumored, he’s out of a closers gig. Not like the pathetic Pirates to given him any opps, but his numbers are excellent.

Not a Vazquez owner but I did add Crick this week in one league because I try to grab a guy or two that might slide into a closer role post-deadline and most of the obvious ones were already rostered. Not optimistic as all of the reports have said that the price tag is exorbitant, but the Dodgers are the only team both desperate enough and with the prospects to actually pay it. I know the Pirates are supposed to want one of the catchers (Smith or Ruiz) and either May or Lux, which is tough to swallow. If the Dodgers can get them to come down to a catcher and maybe a couple of other top 10 system guys besides Lux or May, I would guess it gets done.

Hendriks has had a few bumps in the road lately, and Treinen seems to have straightened himself out. Any chance the A's are close to switching back?

1 hour ago, JameisofThrones said:

Not a Vazquez owner but I did add Crick this week in one league because I try to grab a guy or two that might slide into a closer role post-deadline and most of the obvious ones were already rostered. Not optimistic as all of the reports have said that the price tag is exorbitant, but the Dodgers are the only team both desperate enough and with the prospects to actually pay it. I know the Pirates are supposed to want one of the catchers (Smith or Ruiz) and either May or Lux, which is tough to swallow. If the Dodgers can get them to come down to a catcher and maybe a couple of other top 10 system guys besides Lux or May, I would guess it gets done.

LOL...Tell them to F off. Would not give Lux or Smith 1-1 for Vazquez.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

LOL...Tell them to F off. Would not give Lux or Smith 1-1 for Vazquez.

The Pirates don't need Lux. They have many MI in their system. Smith would have to be in the deal. And probably May. Vazquez has 4 more years remaining on his deal and a very cheap price. The Dodgers are really hungry for a title. It's going to have to take a "Chapman" deal like the Cubs gave a few years back. Is a title worth it LA?

6 minutes ago, codog24 said:

The Pirates don't need Lux. They have many MI in their system. Smith would have to be in the deal. And probably May. Vazquez has 4 more years remaining on his deal and a very cheap price. The Dodgers are really hungry for a title. It's going to have to take a "Chapman" deal like the Cubs gave a few years back. Is a title worth it LA?

The Cubs needed a closer...LAD do not as they have Jansen who is under control through 2021.  No way they are overpaying to that degree for a setup man\bullpen arm.  Pitts can certainly try to get that, but The Dodgers are not likely to be the ones going to pay it imo.  There likely will be plenty of bull pen arms around.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

The Cubs needed a closer...LAD do not as they have Jansen who is under control through 2021.  No way they are overpaying to that degree for a setup man\bullpen arm.  Pitts can certainly try to get that, but The Dodgers are not likely to be the ones going to pay it imo.  There likely will be plenty of bull pen arms around.

2 World Series losses in 2 years and no titles in how many years? With the highest payroll in baseball? I think they may pay whatever it takes. Vasquez is the ultimate team guy. He'll pitch how many or wherever you need him to unlike many of these deva closers.

While I don't think the Dodgers should do a deal like that, Vazquez is absolutely going to command a ridiculous package if they move him. Chapman was a rental.  Vazquez is the same age Chapman was at the time, and is an elite lefty with 4 prime years of reasonably-priced control left.

I get that Chapman was the best in the business at the time and the Cubs were desperate, but 4 years is massive.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

LeClerc has been over used lately - that most likely had a little bit to do with his blow up. I'm holding for now. 

Don't pull me back in. Please! Mah famalie!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, twistedude said:

Hendriks has had a few bumps in the road lately, and Treinen seems to have straightened himself out. Any chance the A's are close to switching back?

Since he became the closer on 6/22

15 appearances 15 2/3 IP 9/11 saves converted 1.09 whip (15 h 2 bb) 1.72 era (3 earned) 25 k. Didn’t allow a run in his first 12 appearances 13 1/3 IP. 

I didn’t watch his first blown save but yesterday was a lot of bad luck. Came in with two on gave up a weak grounder just past the shortstop, double by the next batter should’ve been caught, and then the next batter hits a grounder up the middle that should’ve been an inning ending double play. 

Given all that I don’t think he’s close to losing his job because he’s 1/3 in his most recent save chances. If the struggles continue sure but right now I don’t think so.

• Like 5

I'm holding LeChoke for another week. I'm in a deeper league and there is zero on the wire, so holding isn't the worst thing.  I'm going to hold for 2 reasons.  First, it seems like Martin may be a little dinged & a trade possibility, which would render LeChoke the closer by default for the immediate term.  Second, I still believe the going nowhere Rangers do need to let LeChoke succeed or fail in the role to know what they have going forward.  Once the deadline passes we'll know if Martin is still around and if LeClerc has received/blown any new save oppos.

16 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Went to the judges, and it turns out the correct response was Castillo. You receive no points, and God have mercy on your soul (if you chase Rays saves)

I dropped Castillo this week for LeChoke and it says everything that no one has picked him up yet.  The Tampa situation is so frustrating and impossible to predict that no one even wants a piece of that action.   Pitch the 6th one day, open the game on another, close the next....

🤬

23 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I'm holding LeChoke for another week. I'm in a deeper league and there is zero on the wire, so holding isn't the worst thing.  I'm going to hold for 2 reasons.  First, it seems like Martin may be a little dinged & a trade possibility, which would render LeChoke the closer by default for the immediate term.  Second, I still believe the going nowhere Rangers do need to let LeChoke succeed or fail in the role to know what they have going forward.  Once the deadline passes we'll know if Martin is still around and if LeClerc has received/blown any new save oppos.

You don’t seem to be taking into account Kelley coming back. Or LeClerc being dealt, which is the only rumor I’m seeing at this point (Nationals). Obviously league dependent and if there’s nothing else on the wire, have at it. But there’s an extremely small window to saves for LeClerc at this point. 

• Like 2