JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Hopefully Hendricks still has the chance to come in here and close the game out.

45 minutes ago, Rh3l22 said:

From 1991-2005 they won 14 straight division titles. During that span, their 3.71 bullpen ERA was the second best in all of baseball to the Dodgers, who were at 3.69. Mark Wohlers and his family lived 3-4 minutes from me, so I can’t allow this slander...

On that note, Im hanging on to Martin till at least tomorrow, but I’d be surprised if they don’t make a strong push for a better 9th inning guy. Though the fact they gave up Allard for 2 months of Martin says they must be pretty high on him. 

I watched every bit of it, and that was when my beloved Braves were owned by an actual person who gave his $ and heart to the team. 

1991-2005 has jack mierta to do w/ my comment. Stay in your lane bro... 

Allard is a bust, a soft tosser in a world of high heat. Martin is the typical ATL signing, all the bean counters will allow...  Braves took a nail out of the tire and bought a repair kit, but they have been cheap AF (considering they fleeced Acuna $ Albies to a MAJOR extent!)... and continue to NOT sell high on a plethora of MiLB talent when the MLB club is prime for a dynasty. Period, end of story. 

• Thanks 1

Managers usually do not judge the performance of closers in non save situations.  I still think Jackson has the job until he blows another save.

Hendricks just gave up a bomb to Thames in the bottom of the 9th.... maybe is time to worry.   Treinen hasn't necessarily been the answer either though.  So who could the A's turn to?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Hendricks just gave up a bomb to Thames in the bottom of the 9th.... maybe is time to worry.   Treinen hasn't necessarily been the answer either though.  So who could the A's turn to?

Treinen has been very good lately, it might be time they go back to him.  I hope not, but would not be surprised at all.  And now I have a middle reliever stuck in my weekly league starting lineup.

Edited by Tugginroot

1 minute ago, Zig Zag said:

1-2 pitch, he throws a 97 mph FB down the gut @ the high part of the zone... Bravado cost him.

You have ZERO business throwing that pitch to a guy like Thames when you posses a nasty off speed pitch! You throw it 4-5" higher to change sight plane, then follow w/ slider... but you don't challenge Thames w/ a fastball for a strike. Not in the first inning, and certainly not when the game is on the line. Idiotic, but it was a bad pitch not a bad outing... stuck out the side, just went "full Kanye" there for a second. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

[Take the play-by-play to the GDT.]

Apologies... Closers have that one inning and I just though it was pertinent to those who didn't see what happened. He was excellent shy of one pitch. Just don't want someone dropping him as though he had a meltdown... but I get it. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

That is completely anecdotal though.  I am sure the guy did not intend to pick 3 losers.  He went cheap, it did not work out and he adjusted accordingly early on.  Not spending a lot on closers or Cs is a fairly common strategy in auctions.   Some years it works when you guess right, others it doesn't and you work the wire\make a deal if you have to and see where you end up.  As I like to say, you need a fair amount of luck to win a fantasy league both wrt the draft\auction and wrt injuries.  And most of the common strategies you see employed like Stars and Scrubs, punting saves, etc.  will work some of the time if things break right and not work some of the time when things do not break right. 

Definitely a lot of luck involved.  Without a doubt.  

I am beginning to strongly believe punting saves is a viable strategy.  Not even due to the volatility of relievers.  What is lost in saves is gained in Ks and Wins.  

Another contender in my league has one reliever.   He did pay for Jansen and is13th in saves. First in Ws and Ks.  Looking at where he is in the hitting standings If he used that money he spent on Jansen for a better hitter or two he would likely be in first place.

Edited by B&F

21 minutes ago, B&F said:

Managers usually do not judge the performance of closers in non save situations.  I still think Jackson has the job until he blows another save.

I vihamently disagree... Jackson is on the verge of setting a record for blown saves, (I know a few came when he was not the closer) and there is a reason ATL made this move! They are as complacent as any team in baseball during the season trade wise, and Jackson just kinda fell into the role. He had no business being the closer, but Viz got hurt, Minter got horrible, and Jackson was the only guy to do what needed to be done. (I still think ATL may make another move for an established guy, but if not... Martin is the defacto closer.) 

It's cooperate sayin we get it, we have problems... here's an obscure solution to a genuine problem. I'd like to introduce you to Nancy... she has no real experience in this arena, but she's new and doesn't fit in... so let's all welcome her and pretend this is the solution. 🤞😊

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

I watched every bit of it, and that was when my beloved Braves were owned by an actual person who gave his $ and heart to the team. 

1991-2005 has jack mierta to do w/ my comment. Stay in your lane bro... 

Well since I wasn’t talking to you, it would make sense that my post had nothing to do with your comment, “bro”. 

1 minute ago, David Aames said:

would gsellman or lugo close if diaz is moved?

I would guess Lugo, but who knows.  Gsellman has been pretty lousy.

Just now, secretagentman said:

I would guess Lugo, but who knows.  Gsellman has been pretty lousy.

Yes, Lugo is the next closer for the Mets if Diaz is traded in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rh3l22 said:

Well since I wasn’t talking to you, it would make sense that my post had nothing to do with your comment, “bro”. 

Vicariously it did, bruh... twice removed, but it's not 1991, nor does Ted Turner own the Braves. Just don't see the relevance of brining up 25+ year old things.

Nothing personal, but what does your desire to "hang on to Martin till tomorrow" have to do w/ the Braves last millennium exactly? And how does that apply to Martin closing? 

7 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

Vicariously it did, bruh... twice removed, but it's not 1991, nor does Ted Turner own the Braves. Just don't see the relevance of brining up 25+ year old things.

Nothing personal, but what does your desire to "hang on to Martin till tomorrow" have to do w/ the Braves last millennium exactly? And how does that apply to Martin closing? 

Didn’t think I’d have to explain it.

The quoted post was talking about how the braves have always been cheap with the pen, and had they not been, maybe they’d have won a couple more titles. My point was that during their best stretch, the pen was not a detriment. It was one of the best in baseball. Not a disparaging comment towards him, a disagreement.

As for the Chris Martin comment, it’s an attempt to get back on topic and get back to discussing current day closer situations. Something you’re struggling with. My general thought has always been if you have to discuss something off topic, include something relevant.

That said, it’s the last I’m bringing it up in the topic. We’re less than 24 hours away from the deadline and this thread doesn’t need clutter. You have an issue, use the PM, bro.

• Like 1

I'm happy to hear you're keeping the new ATL Closer till tomorrow. I've been on topic, scroll away. I've offered a slight bit more than your "must be high on him"...

Do you know anything about the modern Braves? Or Martin for that matter? 

Martin is a guy, he's tall, has a career 4.5 ERA w/ very few walks... has had recent success. But Allard was destined for being a throw in, he's a bust of a first round pick. The Braves got what they could, and will employ him in the role they desperately need to fill until he reverts back to his "not a closer" role he's always had. This time of year, you ride the lightning, you roll w/ whoever you can, but Chris Martin is not a genuine closer like they 5-6 others that are ripe for the picking. Provided you aren't cheap AF, and know the fans will buy tickets and merchandise regardless of success. 

For your edification, the "quoted post" was a reply to my post, thus the reply on my part. I have no beef, but plz get a lil more depth to your closer input than holding the newly acquired ATL Closer for a day, or bringing up random Ted Turner era gibberish. 

Luke Jackson has SEVEN blown saves. The Braves traded for Chris Martin because they are cognizant of a major problem, yet cheap... the dots are not hard to connect here. 

2 hours ago, Rh3l22 said:

Didn’t think I’d have to explain it.

The quoted post was talking about how the braves have always been cheap with the pen, and had they not been, maybe they’d have won a couple more titles. My point was that during their best stretch, the pen was not a detriment. It was one of the best in baseball. Not a disparaging comment towards him, a disagreement.

As for the Chris Martin comment, it’s an attempt to get back on topic and get back to discussing current day closer situations. Something you’re struggling with. My general thought has always been if you have to discuss something off topic, include something relevant.

That said, it’s the last I’m bringing it up in the topic. We’re less than 24 hours away from the deadline and this thread doesn’t need clutter. You have an issue, use the PM, bro.

Braves bullpen directly  cost them the 96 title and kick started the Yankee dynasty.

I know this will not be a popular opinion on this forum, just like it wasn't when I predicted at the beginning of the season that Jose LeClerc would be the first closer to lose his job this year, but I think Liam Hendriks will be out as closer without the next two weeks.  Hendriks has now blown 3 of his past 4 save opportunities, while Treinen has 6 consecutive scoreless innings.  Yes, Hendriks's numbers this year are still pretty good, but we're talking about a 30 year old career total bum who had a 4.72 career ERA coming into this year and had been designated for assignment five different times.

If Yates gets moved today is there an obvious replacement or are we looking at a closer by committee until someone emerges?

Just now, meh2 said:

If Yates gets moved today is there an obvious replacement or are we looking at a closer by committee until someone emerges?

Great question, I was just thinking about that.

12 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Great question, I was just thinking about that.

80 percent chance Stammen

20 percent Munoz

15 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Munoz is the best pitcher but Stammen pitches most of the high leverage situations after Yates iirc. My guess is Stammen first and Munoz takes the job later

• Like 1