Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mhuhn23 said:

69 pitches through 3 against the worst lineup in MLB.

I know its probably against the code of conduct here where pessimism rules, but can we look at this positively and realize that he only needed 37 pitches to get through the 2nd and 3rd after a 32 pitch first? 

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut

3 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

This is exactly what was expected in a way. 3 nasty pitches and rick Vaughn control.

Fastball is an easy 99 but he can’t control it

Slider at 85 with nasty horizontal movement (you can see it on mlb.tv highlights on his first K)

Curveball snaps and sits at about 80

The raw “stuff” is there in spades but goodness that control needs a minimum of another year of development. I remember the same was said about Snell and he honed his skills faster than I thought and won a cy young, but this is that sort of situation in my eyes.

Glasnow had the same issues, Cease just needs to get on the Rays 😎

1 minute ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

It could be mannequins up at the plate and he’d still be killing himself with high fastballs that are way out of the zone.

He doesn’t seem to be mixing pitches well enough. His stuff looks great but he keeps missing with the FB. High and outside/away all inning. Then he got in trouble and started throwing that nasty curve and using his arsenal but by then it was too late.

feel bad for any of you that started him today. The Tigers are awful and it seemed like a great start. Unfortunately Cease and McCann called a bad game. It’s not over yet. Seems to be back on track but that 1st inning was horrific. 

And again...against the worst batting lineup in MLB. Castellanos is the best bat and he’s hitting .280.

Cease will be fine but they rushed him and was embarrassed in his first start

86 pitches...does he come out for the 5th? 

Just now, mhuhn23 said:

Cease will be fine but they rushed him and was embarrassed in his first start

Actually, this opinion is more embarrassing than anything Cease has done on the mound today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, remark900 said:

86 pitches...does he come out for the 5th? 

I’d say the odds are good.

Just now, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Actually, this opinion is more embarrassing than anything Cease has done on the mound today.

He’s at 87 pitches through 4 against the worst lineup in all of MLB, led by Jacoby Jones and Nick Castellanos. Great call!

3 minutes ago, mhuhn23 said:

He’s at 87 pitches through 4 against the worst lineup in all of MLB, led by Jacoby Jones and Nick Castellanos. Great call!

That’s what you call “embarrassing” for a starter making his 1st career start? Mitch Keller should just kill himself then 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

4 IP/4.50 ERA/1.75 WHIP/4 K

Not bad considering that brutal 1st inning.

Nope. Sorry. We've been told that its embarrassing and that obviously isn't to be questioned.

Geez so much salt and negativity here from people regarding a rookie's debut performance. 

1 minute ago, bunnyzclan said:

Geez so much salt and negativity here from people regarding a rookie's debut performance. 

Just 1 guy, probably missed on cease in waivers and now is rooting against him 

1 minute ago, terminator10 said:

That’s what you call “embarrassing” for a starter making his 1st career start? Mitch Keller should just kill himself then 

Not embarrassing. But I’m a Tiger fan (which is embarrassing)

Hes still chucking his FB high, away, and outside. He’s got good stuff. Settled down nicely 

• Like 1

Can you believe that Cease let that lazy fly ball by Castellanos be hit 252 feet? I mean anything over 250 is just embarrassing

5 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Just 1 guy, probably missed on cease in waivers and now is rooting against him 

Out of the rookies that's debuted recently, his secondary pitches look the nastiest. His FB not really there, but I'd rather see at least 1 more game before I judge any of his stuff.

14 minutes ago, mhuhn23 said:

You seem to not understand how MLB debuts usually work out. Great call!

He did nothing to make anyone think he won't be successful. The fastball was wild but the stuff is clearly there. Legit 4 pitch mix.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Decent start. He was wild, but he is going to strike out a bunch of guys. 

5.40 ERA and 1.60 Whip over 5 innings is a decent start? That’s not even a quality start. Please let me into your league.

doesn’t even qualify for the win if they take him out. Against the horrific Tigers...

Edited by mhuhn23
  • Like 2

Obviously the nerves led to the terrible first inning. He was very solid after that giving up just one run and punching out six over his last four. He’s got two devastating secondary offerings that were consistently in the zone or just out of it. Even a modicum of command of that high 90s fastball will make him an absolute stud. Anyone disappointed with this debut outing has the patience of a Labrador puppy.  There’s much more good than bad to take away today.

• Like 1

Just now, mhuhn23 said:

5.40 ERA and 1.60 Whip over 5 innings is a decent start? That’s not even a quality start.

doesn’t even qualify for the win if they take him out. Against the horrific Tigers...

He doesn't even what now?