osb_tensor

Andrew Vaughn - 1B CHW

surprised not to see a thread for him yet... 

began his CHW career yesterday in the AZL going 4-for-5 with two doubles and a HR. i expect him to move up to quickly to A ball and potentially push for a promotion next season after super 2. probably a super optimistic projection, but i think he's proficient enough to do it.

vaughn will be the best fantasy player of this years MLB draft, IMO, but i wouldn't fault anyone for taking adley rutschman over him. catcher is such a wasteland that a posey type player is a huge advantage. i think vaughn will likely push for a MLB roster spot before rutschman, which also factors into my assessment of which is more desirable to fantasy managers.

Fangraphs write-up:

TLDR

Dreaded R/R first baseman without physical projection, but he had a cartoonish sophomore year (.400/.530/.820), before he was pitched around a lot (but still raked) as a junior. Best present hit/power combo in the draft, the industry is very confident he'll hit.

Full Report

Vaughn hit .402/.531/.819 as a sophomore and won the Golden Spikes. A repeat performance as a junior would have made him one of, if not the greatest statistical performer in college history. After an early-season surge, Vaughn started seeing a lot of breaking balls, about 15% fewer fastballs in PAC-12 play than he had during non-conference bouts. He was pitched around, and unable to make as much impact contact. But all the tools remain present. Vaughn has a very selective approach, letting strikes he can't drive pass him by unless he has to protect. He has a very athletic swing despite being decidedly unathletic in every other way, enabling all fields power and high rates of contact. There's no margin for error for right-handed hitting first baseman, but if there's one prospect to be confident in hitting as much as is necessary to profile at first base, it's someone with this combination of visual evaluation and statistical track record. He's a longshot possibility at the first pick, but probably goes between three and five.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should we be worried about a "not-so-athletic" 1B? If his bat doesn't translate as we think, he will be relegated to DH and then into obscurity without the ability to play anywhere else in the field. Non-Athletic 1B essentially vying for 45 jobs.

9 minutes ago, phily915 said:

Should we be worried about a "not-so-athletic" 1B? If his bat doesn't translate as we think, he will be relegated to DH and then into obscurity without the ability to play anywhere else in the field. Non-Athletic 1B essentially vying for 45 jobs.

valid concern, without a doubt. i'm not a scout, but from what i've read he's certainly passable as a 1B. he's not going to win any gold gloves, but he's not a total liability.

just for reference (not definitive by any stretch, just a simple comparison): fangraphs had yordan alvarez with a 30/40 (present/future, respectively) for fielding grades, while they gave vaughn 40/45. my point isn't to compare alvarez to vaughn, but to say if vaughn hits well enough, they'll find a spot. if his bat doesn't translate, then... WW fodder no matter where he plays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good comparison with Alvarez. My concern comes with using a high MiLB draft pick or going a "safer" route. But, clearly the White Sox believe in the bat enough to go against conventional wisdom

Number #12 overall in Klaw mid-season update...which is crazy considering he's a R/R 1B only type (and Klaw places tons into defense/running ability).

He's by far my #1 overall fantasy player from this draft.

After a quick stint ripping apart the AZL rookie league (.600 BA) he has continued to pound the ball in the SAL (A-ball) to the tune of .353/.452/.500 with 6BB/7K in 34 ABs...be interesting to see how quickly they take him up the ladder, but just has the look of a guy that will fly through the system.

• Like 1

Anybody know if yahoo will add him to the player database this year? Similar to when yahoo added Casey Mize last year.

10 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Anybody know if yahoo will add him to the player database this year? Similar to when yahoo added Casey Mize last year.

No one knows. It was completely random and out of the blue last year.

As a White Sox fan we needed a CI prospect big time. His hit tool is special. Between him and last years top two picks Madrigal and Walker the Sox are finding guys who can put the barrel on the ball. Now just gotta keep our pitchers out of surgery for TJS. 

10 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

As a White Sox fan we needed a CI prospect big time. His hit tool is special. Between him and last years top two picks Madrigal and Walker the Sox are finding guys who can put the barrel on the ball. Now just gotta keep our pitchers out of surgery for TJS. 

Isn’t Rutherford also having a good season? I know his stock has fallen, but he was touted as a very good bat to ball guy and I think he is still fairly young.

Vaughn was the best college bat I remember since Bryant. Just have to hope he’s more of a 30 to 40 homer guy than 20 to 30. 

also, pretty sure if you want to be part of the White Sox rebuild you have to have Tommy John. Cease, kopech , Rodon, burdi, Giolito, dunning and I’m sure some I’m forgetting. Kinda nuts. 

Promoted to High-A ball...his bat has slowed some after he had a hot start in rookie/A-ball, so hopefully this will perk him up and finish strong.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Promoted to High-A ball...his bat has slowed some after he had a hot start in rookie/A-ball, so hopefully this will perk him up and finish strong.

Well he hit a ball about 450 feet tonight so I guess he’s got some of his mojo back. Hoping he has a good finish to the year so that he begins next season at AA and can maybe force the issue at some point in 2020. 

• Like 1

his swing is so sexy... dude pops like Rhys Hoskins with a better hit tool.  Looks polished too, like he'd fare okay off mediocre big league pitching tomorrow. Me likey likey. 

2 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Will yahoo add him like what they did with Mize and Bart last year?

No one knows - it was an extremely odd, random move last season and something they rarely do outside of Yoan Moncada years back.