Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

7/8 - HOME RUN DERBY GDT

Go Bell!  Go Alonso!

Yes, I know they'd have to face eachother eventually...

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Who’s in it?

D-mXdw0XUAgujAM.jpg:large

...except Yelich pulled out with a back injury and is being replaced by Matt Chapman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think those format is best set up for Vlad... however, don’t sleep on Bregman. I think he ends up being a surprise and at least comes in 2nd. 

I think whoever wins the "east" bracket wins the whole thing. I think Pederson has a legit chance to take the "west" bracket but I don't see him beating the winner of Alonso/Bell showdown.

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Does anybody really care?

Not really but there's no fantasy baseball for the next 4 days so I might as well watch it. The new format is making it more entertaining than it was in years of old.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

People like me that gamble on pretty much every sporting event care. Plus interested in seeing the new wave of superstars perform.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Yes. Since they changed the format, it's been an absolute pleasure to watch. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

glad you asked! I actually really love the HR Derby. It's actually my favorite "All-Star" event of any sport. I hardly ever watch the All-Star game itself but I tune it to the Derby every year. I even watched through the dark ages of the derby having to listen to Boomer yelling for hours upon hours. I don't even really know why I like it so much, I just do. It's fun...

• Like 1

Bregman. No doubt about it!

some have said the HR derby messes up a hitters swing. others have said it's a myth. which is it?

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

some have said the HR derby messes up a hitters swing. others have said it's a myth. which is it?

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I don't think I would call it a curse, but couldn't a hitter adjust their swing for the HR derby in order to hit more HR, and they could struggle to get their normal swing back for the 2nd half. we know that hitters adjust their swings through the season, such as during a slump. we know that in recent seasons hitters have adjusted their swing for a better launch angle.

I don't know if that is the case with any of these hitters, don't know their launch angle without checking.

I like Joc Pederson as a dark horse.

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

but couldn't a hitter adjust their swing for the HR derby in order to hit more HR, and they could struggle to get their normal swing back for the 2nd half.

Sure, anything is possible, but analysis after analysis (many of which are cited in that thread) shows that the number who fall off is in line with what would be expected due to natural regression.  Those arguing in favor of a hypothesis by which players somehow throw off their swing for the derby have failed to show such an effect.  It's fine to say it could happen, or to say that you believe it does happen, but your question was "which is it", and the compelling evidence is on the side of "myth."

2 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Not really but there's no fantasy baseball for the next 4 days so I might as well watch it. The new format is making it more entertaining than it was in years of old.

In the morning I check on all my teams and today things didn’t go as plan. It just didn’t feel right. I was lost a sick feeling. Joneses in a good way. Reboot and hope a team or two can get on a roll. On two teams I am going through the motions knowing what moves I make or don’t won’t matter, but it is fun just to see if I can get a little right sided. 

1 hour ago, DMurphy77 said:

People like me that gamble on pretty much every sporting event care. Plus interested in seeing the new wave of superstars perform.

Yep ... I understand. 

1 hour ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Yes. Since they changed the format, it's been an absolute pleasure to watch. 

In my eyes the format has been the same for years, Hit more homeruns than the next guy you come out as the winner. 

1 hour ago, ebadevil said:

glad you asked! I actually really love the HR Derby. It's actually my favorite "All-Star" event of any sport. I hardly ever watch the All-Star game itself but I tune it to the Derby every year. I even watched through the dark ages of the derby having to listen to Boomer yelling for hours upon hours. I don't even really know why I like it so much, I just do. It's fun...

Well with me, I rather watch the all star game. A bunch of years ago, I kept score. I had a book with that I updated every year. That book is long gone 

The fact Vlad JR is in the HR derby and Joey Gallo is not, tells me all I need to know, and the reason I have no care to see it.

12 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

The fact Vlad JR is in the HR derby and Joey Gallo is not, tells me all I need to know, and the reason I have no care to see it.

It's possible Gallo was asked and declined. He is just coming off an oblique strain.

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

It's possible Gallo was asked and declined. He is just coming off an oblique strain.

Pretty much.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2019/07/02/citing-health-joey-gallo-will-not-participate-star-home-run-derby

According to the Rangers, the league consulted the team and the team spoke with Gallo, and everybody came to the agreement: It's not worth the risk this year.

"I think it's probably smart," said Gallo, who will still play in the All-Star Game in Cleveland on Tuesday as an AL reserve. "It's great that the organization is looking out for my best interests. It's just an injury you don't want to test to much. And you know in the [derby], you are going to swing as hard as you can."

Said GM Jon Daniels: "Everybody was on the same page. It's just a little premature. If not for the the injured list, he would have been a natural choice. He would have been the top seed, if they seeded guys, I think."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Sure, anything is possible, but analysis after analysis (many of which are cited in that thread) shows that the number who fall off is in line with what would be expected due to natural regression.  Those arguing in favor of a hypothesis by which players somehow throw off their swing for the derby have failed to show such an effect.  It's fine to say it could happen, or to say that you believe it does happen, but your question was "which is it", and the compelling evidence is on the side of "myth."

Last year the eight who participated only one hit more homeruns in the second half. Rhys Hoskins 14/20 he did that with less than 60+ ABs from the first half 

The numbers 

Harper 23/327 to 11/223

Aquilar 24/272 to 11/220

Muncy 22/225 to 13/175

Freeman 16/326 to 7/256 

Schawber 18/265 to 8/163

Baez 19/343 to 15/263 

Bregman 20/371 to 11/223 

I wonder what the Average homerun per ABs with those numbers,