WGM Dynasty League

Looking for a big (somewhat cut-throat) deep dynasty league with no riff-raff that demands owners commit and plan for the long haul, and rewards owners that do so successfully?  Do you want to test your baseball accruement over the long haul?  Then this may be for you.  I am currently a commissioner of a 30 team dynasty-ish league that I did not start, but took over.  I love it, it is the most fun I have ever had in fantasy sports, but it is a very difficult league to run, as it has a complicated salary system, is low stakes, has a very complicated offseason, and has some weak links.  And being a league with a bazillion ins n outs, it is hard to make tweaks to simplify.  So here is what I want to get going:

30 team standard dynasty format (mostly). H2H points.  Half week regular season matchups, weekly postseason matchups.  $550 buy-in, which covers your first four seasons ($125 per season), and your $50 trade fee for the first season (more on this later).  The $550 is non-refundable, so if you pay to start, you may as well finish the four years.  The league will run through Fantrax and all money will be handled through their 3rd party treasurer system.  This system allows money to carry over from year to year.  I have used their system and it is secure for both owners and commissioners.

What to expect from me?  I am proactive and stay on top of things.  I respond to owners quickly.  I believe the best fantasy leagues are commissioned by a benevolent dictator who uses democratic measures when necessary (mostly to gain league opinion) but is not afraid to make executive decisions in the name of bettering the league, not individuals, including himself.  I want to give owners as much freedom to deploy an array of strategy, individualism and creativity as much as possible, while maintaining competitiveness, and trying to keep things simple.  I am well aware of the struggles a 30 team dynasty league may face; owners not committing for the long haul, owners “tanking”, convoluted setups, the slowness getting 30 owners on the same page and moving, etc.  Thus, the spendy four year initial commitment, and several other policies (to be explained) designed to construct a strong dynasty league. 

Keeping the league strong:  I believe a fantasy league is only as good as its worst owner.  So, and remember the $550 is non-refundable, we will have a policy whereupon the last place team (based on # of wins) in every division (6) will be subject to removal from league.  (If there is a tie for last place, all tied teams are subject.)  To ensure all owners are trying to be competitive, the six last place finishers will be subject to a commissioner review and then, possibly a league vote, to determine if they are invited back or a replacement owner will be assigned.  Of course, owners in question will be allowed to defend themselves, if taken to “court”.  If a last place owner proves to be a strong owner, they will NOT even be considered for replacement.  What makes a “strong” owner?  They are not acting as a feeder team for another owner(s).   They play to compete now, as well as the future.  They are active, easy to communicate with, constantly putting viable lineups out, they exude a commitment to trying to make their team better/the league better, and of course…..don’t act like douchebags.  Mark Buerhle is my favorite pitcher of all time.  (Struggling owners will not be penalized/considered not strong if they are trying to trade for the future, but they must be doing so in a reasonable fashion, which I know is a loose term.)  If any of the fore-mentioned negative things come into question by me, the commissioner, I reserve the right to boot, but will most likely take into consideration the opinion of the whole league on these six or more owners.  I understand there are going to be at least six last place finishers every year, and my goal is to never have to consider the removal of any of them, it is a giant pain in my a** to replace an owner.  I know these policies will require a large amount of trust in my abilities to be fair.  All I can say is, you’re going to have to, and/or ask about me.  I imagine there will be a lot of owners coming over from my other leagues.  I can supply with email addresses of some of my owners upon request.

Drafts:  Another big challenge for start-up dynasty leagues is the initial draft.  Big difference between pick #1 and pick #30.  We will snake the initial draft, but that still does not suffice.  So here is what we will do:

The 30 teams will be named after a real MLB team and set within their real leagues and divisions.  When owners request to join the league, they will submit their top 5 team requests.  This will matter because owners will be able to put four current players from that MLB organization (MLB or minors) on their roster before draft even begins.  (There will be a “secret” criteria these 4 players will need to meet, for the sake of fairness, and I will take the last team left.)  We will add up those four players’ fantasy points under our scoring system from the year prior and determine the draft order from least cumulated points to most, from those four players.  If any of those four players are minor leaguers and ranked in Baseball America’s current top 76 prospects, we will use the formula (101-rank)x4 to determine their point value in this cumulative system.  Ex) Vlad Jr. would be treated as a player who scored 400 pts the year prior.  If a minor league player is selected to be kept but is outside BA’s top 76, they will receive a 100 point designation.

How will we determine who gets what organization when there are multiple requests for the same team?  After all 30 teams have submitted their requests, we will hold a random raffle to determine the winner of that team.  If you lose that, you will be given your second choice or thrown into that team’s raffle.  If your first choice was not chosen as another owner’s first choice, you will get that team.  Proceeding accordingly until all teams have been assigned.  I will video record all random raffles and post on GroupMe. 

Initial draft.  The initial draft is going to be a giant monster for us, but we will only have to do it once.  45 man rosters times 30 teams is a 1,350 player draft.  The logistics of a draft involving this many owners and picks can be rough.  We will do a slow draft via Fantrax’s draft room, 12 hour continuous clock per pick, starting ASAP.  That is, once we get 30 owners signed up and paid, we will start the draft shortly thereafter, regardless of time of year.  I feel it could take a few months to get this done.  And if the draft gets to be too much for folks, we can take a break.  But our first season won’t start until 2020 season, so we have the time.  I have facilitated 12 hour pick drafts before, and with 30 teams, expect to get 5 rounds done between 5-7 days.  The expectation is that the 12 hours are for work and sleep and if you can’t check in every few hours or so outside work and sleep, auto-draft is a tool to be used.  If the pick clock gets down to 6 hours, I throw out a courtesy message to that owner, usually.

Our drafts after this initial year will be far less demanding.  We will hold a 9 round slow supplemental draft every off-season which will consist of all unowned players affiliated with a major league team.  Amateur players excluded, unowned FAs are eligible.  At no point is an owner allowed more than that season’s allotted players on their roster, so if your pick comes up in the supplemental draft and you are at the limit, you will not be permitted a draft choice.

Communication:  All owners will be required to be a member of our GroupMe chat as that will be our main channel of instant communication, s--- talk, trade talk, etc.  All real need-to-know important matters will be communicated by me via Fantrax site, email via Fantrax, Fantrax commissioner messages, and Fantrax forum.

Rosters n stuff:  Owners will have straight up 45 man roster the initial season.  No separate minor lists, no IR lists.  Simple.  Year two, rosters expand to 50, year three 55, year four 60.  After the four-year cycle is over, that fifth year/following year, rosters revert back down to 45.  Owners are free to fill that roster as they see fit, keeping in mind the consequence of finishing 5th in their division and the outline for possible dismissal.  I had poster of Eric Davis as a kid.

Lineups will be daily, players set in stone 1 minute before the first pitch of their game.  There will be 16 daily lineup slots:

C

1B

2B

3B

SS

LF

CF

RF

UT aka DH

SP

RP

P (SP/RP)

Position eligibility for both pitchers and hitters will be 20 games played in previous season or 10 games in current season.  For minor leaguers/rookies etc., we will use Fantrax default position their first season.  On occasion Fantrax gets a little screwy with their position eligibility with rookies and minor leaguers.  League office reserves the right to review these occasions and determine eligibility.

SP limit:  As I mentioned prior, matchups are bi-weekly, Mon-Thur and Fri-Sun.  Owners are permitted 4 GS from pitchers per half-week period.  If an owner goes over that limit….only the 4 lowest point total GS performances will be counted in your score.  I will do my best to police this, but the expectation is we act like golfers and admit our own penalties.  Your opponent is considered the first officer on the scene and it is expected you report an opponent’s violation to league office.  All relief appearances in that day, regardless of the pitching slot they come from are, are permissible.  At times, on Fantrax, a RP appearance from a SP slot will get counted as a GS and the points won’t accumulate.  It is on the owner to alert the league office when this occurs, and we will adjust things accordingly.  This doesn’t happen often.

Transactions:  Trades are permitted yearlong minus the period between in season trade deadline (All-Star break) and end of our season.  In-season free agency will be a very limited tool.  I am sick of having to stream in leagues to keep up with the Jones’.  I once got tossed from a game for hitting three batters in a row.  I have not yet determined our pick-up policy.  We will either run pickups late Sunday nights, limiting owners to one pickup per week or set an allotted number of season pickups and run the requests nightly.  In-season free agent requests will be prioritized based on record, worst to first.  We will not run any free agency/pickups during the playoffs.  Draft picks can be traded, including future picks within our 4 years paid window as long as the $50 trade fee has been paid for the years owner is sending or receiving the future draft picks.  If owners wish to trade or receive drafts picks outside the 4 year window, they both can pay ahead, the $125+$50 trade/season fee to do so.  If any owner chooses this route, when the time comes to pay the next 4 year fee, those owners will be prorated for these paid ahead seasons.

Drops will be shut off from the end of the MLB World Series to the end of our supplemental draft.  Thus, whoever is on your roster after the World Series is on your team until after our supplemental draft the following offseason.  It is up to owners to plan accordingly for the next season’s upcoming draft.  Like I said, if you don’t have the space, you will not be able to utilize all draft picks.  They will be your chips to trade though.

There are no contracts/salaries.  You own a player for as long as you want or until you are forced to trim roster back down to 45 after 4 year cycle.

If a player retires, dies, goes to prison, or some other such circumstance during the non-drop period, exemptions will be made.  League office will review and determine these types of requests.

Scoring:

Hitters

Pitchers

Single

IP

Double

W

Triple

L

HR

QS

BB

SV

HBP

Hold

Run Scored

BS

RBI

ER

SF

K

SO

BB

SB

CG

CS

NH

Game winning RBI

PG

GIDP

SHO

Error

HB

Outfield assist

H

caught stealing against

Error

(aka C throws out runner)

GIDP against

Inherited runners stranded

IBB allowed

(to offset for BB penalty)

GS

(for commissioner use)

Money n payouts:

You will be paid out immediately after our season ends.  League fee is $125 per year that must be paid four years at a time, so $500 every four years.  Owners will be required to pay a $50 trade fee per year to get their trading abilities on Fantrax turned on.  I will flip the bill for the site, you’re welcome.  So 125x30= $3,750 league pay in.  We will keep yearly payouts simple, with the intent being a mostly winner take all/you make the playoffs, you get your fee back:

win Division

win a WC

win WC game

win LDS

win LCS

win WS

Dynasty Payout:  What about that $50 trade fee?  It will be mandatory the first season, but optional the three years after, and all those fees will be thrown into a “Dynasty pot”.  This is called a dynasty league for a reason…..the idea is to try n build dynasties.  The dynasty pot will be a minimum of $1500 (likely a hell of a lot more), and paid out to an owner who wins 3 titles in a 4 season span, or wins two titles in the first 3 seasons of a four year segment. Now there is a caveat to this…if we reach the end of our four year span and there is an owner who has won two titles within the last 2-3 seasons, the pot will carry over to the next four year segment.  If a team happens to exceed the 3 titles in 4 seasons criteria, they will receive the annual dynasty pot until they do not win the WS.  If they don’t win the WS one season, but then win it the next, they will receive the dynasty pot money from the previous two seasons, and it will go on like this until their evil empire falls.  Two seasons in a row without winning the WS will “end” the dynasty.  (To clarify….If team A wins year one and two, and team B wins year 3 three and four, pot does not get paid out.  Instead, Team B will have the opportunity to go after the 3 titles in 4 year criteria to win it all.  If they don’t, these two teams will split the initial 4 year dynasty pot with the last two played seasons of the new four year period carrying over.)  What if no one is in the midst of a dynasty run/won the pot?  If no one has qualified to win the 4 year pot, and none of it is carried over because a team may be on a dynasty run, we will go back and count the total regular season wins of all teams during the four year segment.  The winningest teams in all 6 divisions (1 per division), will win 1/6 of the pot.  If one of these 6 winners doesn’t happen to be in the league any more, their share will get thrown into current/the next pot.

Schedule:  The Regular season: Owners will play their division rivals 3 times each, the 10 other teams in their league 2 times, and then rotate their 5 out of league opponents by division every year.  Ex)  NL East teams will play AL west year one, AL East year 2, AL Central year three and so on.  This gives us 37 regular season matchups.  The Playoffs:  matchups move to full weeks and GS limits move from 4 to 8.  We will run our playoff format just like the MLB, two wildcards team spending the first week of our playoffs trying to join the three division winners in the LDS.  Now, if you do the math, this ends our post season the first week of September.  This is on purpose.  I feel we have a lot on the line during the playoffs, and real-life September baseball is not conducive to treating our fantasy teams fairly.

Trade deadline:  Will be 11:59pm MT the day after the All-Star game.  Trades will be turned back on the day after our champion has been crowned. (Which will be the same day payouts go out.)  I hate the Cubs with a passion.

Home Run Derby:  We will take $25 out of the trade fee/dynasty pot and award it to the owner who owns the MLB Home Run Derby Champion.  (Just a little fun.)

Prospective owners:  Obviously, this league is about the long haul.  I refuse to fill this league just to fill it.  I will require owners fill out an application when trying to join.  I want 30 solid guys, as I said before, a league is only as good as its worst owner.  In this application, I will test the owners on league setup, with trick questions, and random nuggets I’ve placed in this constitution.  They will also need to tell me why they want in the league and what I can expect from them.  Prospective owners will need to prove they have read the constitution and understand the rules before I will consider them.

Email me at sturgenate@gmail.com for an application