Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Prospects Live Top 100 Mid-season Fantasy Prospects

I love the last line in their write up for Yordan Alvarez.. “Condolences to other publications that left him off their top 100 in the preseason.”

I love any and all shots fired at Keith Law. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I love the last line in their write up for Yordan Alvarez.. “Condolences to other publications that left him off their top 100 in the preseason.”

I love any and all shots fired at Keith Law. 

I will never understand the hate for klaw.

I always prefer someone who gives their true evaluation and isn’t impacted by group think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gobux1970 said:

I always prefer someone who gives their true evaluation and isn’t impacted by group think.

That's a good trait, for sure. A not good trait, one that overshadows the good trait, is when someone refuses to admit a mistake.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

That's a good trait, for sure. A not good trait, one that overshadows the good trait, is when someone refuses to admit a mistake.

I think @osb_tensor hit the nail on the head.  The issue with Law, for me, has nothing to do with his prospect evaluations per se, it has more to do with this almost smugness or what I call little man complex.  His cavalier attitude, almost thumbing his nose that his perspective is the only (right) one, is really an unlikable trait.  I do like that he does get creative with some of his rankings so credit where credit is due.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Why do people keep saying this? He literally writes an article every single season on what he got wrong. He references calling Sale a reliever constantly.  Do you people even read what he writes?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, adwilk1231 said:

Why do people keep saying this? He literally writes an article every single season on what he got wrong. He references calling Sale a reliever constantly.  Do you people even read what he writes?

You clearly have not seen the numerous chats where people mention Yordan Alvarez and he dodges/deflects or in some cases blocks the person

and he does it even when people ask him about it in a polite and honest way

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Gobux1970 said:

It's been talked about plenty here, but I'll say my Yordan piece again.  In 2018 Keith Law ranked Yordan higher than anyone, especially eye opening because it wasn't a fantasy list.  After a very strong 2018 campaign and being well below league average in age, he inexplicably removed him from the top 100. Keep in mind, quite a few guys graduated, so keeping him off the last was essentially bumping him down like 100 spots from where he was in 2018.

His articulation of the removal was bizarre and incomplete.  Something about "I start the lists from scratch every year"  and "he's not projected to be a good defender" , the latter of which was no different than his 2018 analysis.  

There were rumors circulating that a lot of scouts were poo pooing Yordan to lower his stock making him easier to acquire in a trade.  I see no other reason why Klaw did a 180 on Yordan other than taking other biased scouts word for it (same with fangraphs).   So not only did Keith Law get impacted by group think, he got impacted by group think that was purposely set in motion to misguide.  Much worse than typical group think.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

His articulation of the removal was bizarre and incomplete.  Something about "I start the lists from scratch every year"  and "he's not projected to be a good defender" , the latter of which was no different than his 2018 analysis.  

2 more that came up were "he hits in the batter friendly PCL" despite the fact that Yordan at that point had yet to hit in any of the infamous batter friendly PCL parks, and "I don't care about age relative to level" despite the fact that he used that very argument to justify several other rankings. I'm not sure if he was being lazy stubborn or ignorant but it was certainly some combo of those 3.

I respect Law's prospect analysis in general, but he acted like a total arse when it comes to Yordan and deserves to be mocked for it. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, adwilk1231 said:

Go ahead and read the response about Yordan after he’s calling out haters on his #1 ranking on tatis. And you won’t be finding anything on his “miss list” about Yordan. Literally says “and I didn’t miss on him.” This is why people don’t like him. 

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

ery strong 2018 campaign and being well below league average in age, he inexplicably removed him from the top 100. Keep in mind, quite a few

Everyone focuses on Yordan but he has been super early on a number of guys including Wander.  You want to act like he doesn't know anything because of one guy fine I'll scoop those guys up

As far as being to tied into pro scouts is that really a negative?  More often than not that is going to pay dividends and far out weigh any situation where you get bad info.  Compare that to other lists that are just straight up speculation based on how much a player signed for.  You mean if I rank the top 5 international signings evey year I might hit.  Is that analysis?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, adwilk1231 said:

Everyone focuses on Yordan but he has been super early on a number of guys including Wander.  

Keith Law certainly is good on some guys, I'd point to Tatis. Keith Law did not rank Wander Franco in 2018 in his top 100, when many people did. So that's definitely an L there. Coming into to 2019, almost everyone had Wander top 10. 

Honestly, I'd have no problem with Keith Law (even before Yordan's success this year) if he was just a lot more detailed somewhere on why he bumped a guy down 100 spots. He didn't. Everyone's going to be wrong when doing the prospect thing.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

All of the "Klaw" defenders are totally missing the point I originally was even making. I am not knocking his ranking skills or eye for evaluation. Like many pointed to in a lot of different way.. the whole Yordan thing has just showed more and more what I do not like about him...  dude is a dick. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Keith Law certainly is good on some guys, I'd point to Tatis. Keith Law did not rank Wander Franco in 2018 in his top 100, when many people did. So that's definitely an L there. Coming into to 2019, almost everyone had Wander top 10. 

law was the first one I saw put him in the top 5 and was talking about him being special in chats before that.  Something about god reaching down and touching his bat.

Just now, LarryDavid said:

All of the "Klaw" defenders are totally missing the point I originally was even making. I am not knocking his ranking skills or eye for evaluation. Like many pointed to in a lot of different way.. the whole Yordan thing has just showed more and more what I do not like about him...  dude is a dick. 

My point is who cares if he is a dick

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

And most of those people had him in their top 100 purely based on second hand info and signing bonus

Just now, adwilk1231 said:

law was the first one I saw put him in the top 5 and was talking about him being special in chats before that.  Something about god reaching down and touching his bat.

He literally didn't have him in his top 100 in 2018, quite a few people did. If you think Keith Law was the first on Wander Franco, you are way off.  Once Wander Franco started hitting last summer in Rookie Ball, everyone including Law was in on him.  Too late for many if you're comparing him to the whole. 

And most of those people had him in their top 100 purely based on second hand info and signing bonus

Seems smart in hindsight. Law should have. I know I speculated on him based off that in dynasty leagues in 2017. Worked out really well. 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

He literally didn't have him in his top 100 in 2018, quite a few people did. If you think Keith Law was the first on Wander Franco, you are way off.  Once Wander Franco started hitting last summer in Rookie Ball, everyone including Law was in on him.  Too late for many if you're comparing him to the whole. 

so he waited to rank him until there was actual info on him instead of speculating based on info about a 16 year old

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

Seems smart in hindsight. Law should have. I know I speculated on him based off that in dynasty leagues in 2017. Worked out really well. 

Law isn't ranking for dynasty he is ranking for baseball

• Like 1

so he waited to rank him until there was actual info on him instead of speculating based on info about a 16 year old

That's fine and understandable, but he was hardly first on him. Seems middle of the pack. 

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

That's fine and understandable, but he was hardly first on him. Seems middle of the pack. 

For me you have to use the lists based on who is doing the rankings.  Some lists won't rank pitchers or catchers.  Some lists speculate on young guys who haven't even hit in rookie ball.  They all have their bias and purpose and you have to account for that.  When Law says someone is special it immediately gets my attention especially when it is a pitcher.  May being a recent example.

• Like 1