Sign in to follow this  
Ryansm11

Help with the middle rounds

So every year I feel like I nail my first four picks, and my sleepers. The worst part of my draft though is always the 5-8 range. I just always have a terrible feel for the guys there. This year it’s looking like Tyler Boyd, Tyler Lockett, Chris Godwin, Evan Engram, James white, Sony michel, Kenyan Drake, David Montgomery... that kind of range if it gives you guys an idea of who I’m talking about. What do most of you look for here? A floor like Tyler Boyd? A ceiling like Tyler Lockett? I really tend to goof these picks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Same here. I can recall feeling good about stashing players like Goodwin and Crabtree, and missing completely.

Montgomery and Michel will likely go Round 4. I like Godwin and Ridley in Round 5 as a WR2 or even WR3. At this point, I will probably already have two RB's, so Kenyan Drake fades for me a little. I also like the middle rounds as a chance to get a TE or a QB. Evan Engram/Hunter Henry in Round 6. Matt Ryan in Round 7, or wait for Carson Wentz a round or two later.

Round 7 is typically where I've struggled with non-QB picks. I'm usually trying to grab a back up RB here, but who seems to remain are players like Sanders, Penny, Lamar Miller, Tevin Coleman, Lat Murray, maybe Darrel Henderson. Instead, I'd value earlier RB's and shoot for WR3 gold like Boyd or Pettis. Pettis could be huge in Round 7. Maybe Royce Freeman in late 9, early 10.

Just some trends I've seen in my own mock drafting. Of course, things change as the draft moves depending on what you need to fill.

Edited by dropshadows

I would def try to grab OJH or HH in the early middle rounds if you’re fine with going TE early. Otherwise I think the WRs are much better than the rbs in this range

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I would def try to grab OJH or HH in the early middle rounds if you’re fine with going TE early. Otherwise I think the WRs are much better than the rbs in this range

I’m thinking Vance a little later on. You think the WR’s are the better value there though? That’s what I need to get an idea of. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, dropshadows said:

Same here. I can recall feeling good about stashing players like Goodwin and Crabtree, and missing completely.

Montgomery and Michel will likely go Round 4. I like Godwin and Ridley in Round 5 as a WR2 or even WR3. At this point, I will probably already have two RB's, so Kenyan Drake fades for me a little. I also like the middle rounds as a chance to get a TE or a QB. Evan Engram/Hunter Henry in Round 6. Matt Ryan in Round 7, or wait for Carson Wentz a round or two later.

Round 7 is typically where I've struggled with non-QB picks. I'm usually trying to grab a back up RB here, but who seems to remain are players like Sanders, Penny, Lamar Miller, Tevin Coleman, Lat Murray, maybe Darrel Henderson. Instead, I'd value earlier RB's and shoot for WR3 gold like Boyd or Pettis. Pettis could be huge in Round 7. Maybe Royce Freeman in late 9, early 10.

Just some trends I've seen in my own mock drafting. Of course, things change as the draft moves depending on what you need to fill.

I love Pettis I think he will be dynamite this year with top 20 WR upside. I might have to snag two early backs and then focus on some of these mid round wr’s is what I’m seeing 

Edited by Ryansm11
Spelling

Yeah. Looking at the backs in those rounds just doesn't inspire me at all. I'd rather wait a few more rounds to bet cheap on Freeman or Foreman.

5 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

So every year I feel like I nail my first four picks, and my sleepers. The worst part of my draft though is always the 5-8 range. I just always have a terrible feel for the guys there. This year it’s looking like Tyler Boyd, Tyler Lockett, Chris Godwin, Evan Engram, James white, Sony michel, Kenyan Drake, David Montgomery... that kind of range if it gives you guys an idea of who I’m talking about. What do most of you look for here? A floor like Tyler Boyd? A ceiling like Tyler Lockett? I really tend to goof these picks. 

If you always nab your sleepers, just reach for more sleepers in rounds 5-8.  In your case this would clearly be a winning strategy.  

4 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’m thinking Vance a little later on. You think the WR’s are the better value there though? That’s what I need to get an idea of. 

I like Jordan Thomas as a late (last) round TE. 

I usually go 2 RBs in the first 3 rounds and take WRs in the mid rounds 

I love some Jordan Howard late in drafts this year. Has a great off he is playing for with a great d. All the goal line carries for eagles will take it all day late in ppr. Rb38 in ppr on ffc

Posted (edited)

Such an interesting topic.  The first few rounds are fairly easy.  Personally I think these rounds (5-8) and the WW are where you win/lose FF leagues.  

These rounds are set up by your previous picks but also by your opponents’ drafts.  As always, you’re looking for value.

First, evaluate yourself.  How do you draft in rounds 1-4?  Are you a risk taker/swing for the fences kind of guy early?  Then IMO these rounds are where you look for safe picks - unless you are a go-big-or-go-home guy and your one and only goal is to win and you don’t care about your record otherwise.  If that’s the case, rounds 5-8 are the perfect spot to keep swinging wildly and to look to players whose value are reduced by injuries/draft picks.

Are you risk averse in the first four rounds?  Then this is the spot to start taking those riskier picks to bolster your safe top players.  

Are you a RB hoarder?  Then these are the rounds that you have to fill out the other skill spots.  You helped create value at other positions, and hopefully accentuated that by making a few other owners panic a little and grab a RB or 2 too early.

Are you the guy who lets value fall to you and your roster is pretty diverse after the top four rounds?  The guy who wants to just get into the playoffs and then let the chips fall where they may?  Then you are in an ideal spot to keep looking for droppers that should add value to your roster.

Personally I think these are the perfect rounds to be contrarian.  Is there are wild WR run in front of you?  Look for RBs and TEs here.  Everyone letting QBs fall as they load up on skill guys?  Time to find that top 5 QB that fell.  Same with TEs.  Check your opponents’ rosters.  Where as a group did they load up in the first 4 rounds?  Where ever they did not load up is where I’m looking to beat them to the punch on players that fell too far.  

You most probably aren’t going to find the guy in these rounds that morphs into a top 3/4 player at any position.  What I’m looking for are the guys who will likely outscore my opponents’ counterparts by 2-3 points per week.  Those differences add up over the season and can counter the difference that an opponent’s single stud player brings to the table.  

I’m definitely not looking at byes yet in this range.  I’m also not interested in handcuffs this early.  It’s too early for legitimate sleepers, so I’ll let other guys reach too far for those guys.  

I’m just looking for probable slightly better scorers that make my team as a whole better - not the player that makes one specific position better.  I’ll take the pass catching accumulating RB2 in a ppr league here.  I’ll take the slot WR who amasses catches and yards but not TDs.  I’ll take the TE who is an every down player and gets looks on third and 5 and in the red zone but may not catch 75 passes, if I haven’t filled the spot with a top 3 stud yet.  I’ll take the Brady/Brees type guys at QB here after the top QBs have gone and there’s no distinct guys who fell too far nearby.

Just my thoughts FWIW.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Check your opponents’ rosters.

This is important for the middle rounds IMO. Because you can check to see if they've nabbed a TE/QB already, and depending on your drafting position and theirs, you can decide to wait one more round before filling those needs.

• Like 1