JHM_13

Zero QB Strategy

13 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Yeah I thought it was four because Jimmy G only lasted a couple games, I caught it on the edit. Who covered your byes?

They might be going that late in order for the position, but I don't think you'll see them leave the sixth round in most 2QB/superflexes.

I finished the year with Dalton stafford and the Sf back up and still made the playoffs. It was mainly because I drafted AB, Mike Thomas, and had tyrek as my number 3 and had Sanders as my flex. In 2qb you can get stud WRs early. I usually wait on qb and rb. I wait on rb because rbs always get injured and back ups are more likely to produce than back up WRs 

It all depends on what you mean by "Late".

Waiting til past round 8-9 can be dodgy, and by that point, they WRs and RBs you can grab instead of QB in rnds 6-7-8 are generally longer shot starters with greater chances of being drop-able sooner than later.

On the other hand, you can establish a solid core of 3WR-3RB for your roster, and then address QB and TE.
According FFCalculator, QBs generally available after round 6 in a .5ppr in a 12 teamer are Wilson (7.05),  Brees (7.08),  Wentz (7.12). I believe that these guys (and Cam -8.12) offer a decent floor with top 3 upside in a given week, and should be top 10 QBs season long, barring injury.

If you wait a round or two beyond that, you're banking on Goff (9.3), Murray (9.8) and others with decent floor with greater risk of sub QB12 weeks.

In my case, I have always avoided early round QBs and have generally waited "too long", and end up streaming QB week to week based on match ups, which has worked fine for me. 

Last year, after Garoppolo got hurt, I streamed mostly TB QBs, and I ended up in a championship game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, candygram4mongo said:

It all depends on what you mean by "Late".

Waiting til past round 8-9 can be dodgy, and by that point, they WRs and RBs you can grab instead of QB in rnds 6-7-8 are generally longer shot starters with greater chances of being drop-able sooner than later.

On the other hand, you can establish a solid core of 3WR-3RB for your roster, and then address QB and TE.
According FFCalculator, QBs generally available after round 6 in a .5ppr in a 12 teamer are Wilson (7.05),  Brees (7.08),  Wentz (7.12). I believe that these guys (and Cam -8.12) offer a decent floor with top 3 upside in a given week, and should be top 10 QBs season long, barring injury.

If you wait a round or two beyond that, you're banking on Goff (9.3), Murray (9.8) and others with decent floor with greater risk of sub QB12 weeks.

In my case, I have always avoided early round QBs and have generally waited "too long", and end up streaming QB week to week based on match ups, which has worked fine for me. 

Last year, after Garoppolo got hurt, I streamed mostly TB QBs, and I ended up in a championship game. 

Woof, gimme the 9+ QBs over Wilson, brees wentz in the 7th. You could still get cam newton/josh Allen/take a shot on kyler Murray. QB is so deep that “zero qb” is the norm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Woof, gimme the 9+ QBs over Wilson, brees wentz in the 7th. You could still get cam newton/josh Allen/take a shot on kyler Murray. QB is so deep that “zero qb” is the norm

So true.  Seems like there are a ton of good QBs available this year.  Especially if Cam comes back healthy and Bradford and Mayfield keep improving.  Cousins might even be decent with the additions the Vikings made to their offensive line.  And Kyler Murray might be bad in real life but good for fantasy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robrob129killa said:

It is a 10 team league and I named 3qb jimmy G, staff and dalton. I just feel like the qb position is more based on matchups. I just feel you could grab QBs late this year and still get a ton of value. Guys drafted as top 10 guys last year are now going 10-20 cousins, stafford, wentz, Brady. 

Strategy doesn't apply to 10 team leagues because the waiver wire is always full at every position of viable options. 

Just do your draft and cross your fingers for health. That's what a 10 team league is. 

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Strategy doesn't apply to 10 team leagues because the waiver wire is always full at every position of viable options. 

Only if some of your owners are morons. We have a 10 team league. The waiver wire is not "always full at every position of viable options," unless by "viable options" you mean "guys who are FAs for a reason and probably won't do jack squat for your team." 

3 minutes ago, bomont said:

Only if some of your owners are morons. We have a 10 team league. The waiver wire is not "always full at every position of viable options," unless by "viable options" you mean "guys who are FAs for a reason and probably won't do jack squat for your team." 

Unless you've got 10 man benches I stand by this comment. Sorry. There's always a viable week to week solution at every position in every 10 man I've ever played in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Just do your draft and cross your fingers for health. That's what a 10 team league is. 

Dude it’s a 2qb league so only QBs on waiver are back ups that take over for injuries 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Unless you've got 10 man benches I stand by this comment. Sorry. There's always a viable week to week solution at every position in every 10 man I've ever played in. 

Your owners must suck at roster mtg then.

55 minutes ago, bomont said:

Its math, in a 10 team there are 32 more players on the wire. The wire will always have more options available, even with the best managers possible.

8 hours ago, Robrob129killa said:

Dude it’s a 2qb league so only QBs on waiver are back ups that take over for injuries 

I disagree with that, even if your settings don't have a max of 3 QBs (which seems to be standard) I doubt anyone is rostering four.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bomont said:

Roster mgt I mean obviously. I don't know if they're good at meetings. :)

43 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Its math, in a 10 team there are 32 more players on the wire. The wire will always have more options available, even with the best managers possible.

? And? The wire will always have more options available no matter how big or deep your league is. The idea that "Strategy doesn't apply to 10 team leagues because the waiver wire is always full" is blatantly absurd.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bomont said:

? And? The wire will always have more options available no matter how big or deep your league is. The idea that "Strategy doesn't apply to 10 team leagues because the waiver wire is always full" is blatantly absurd.

If by strategy u mean “pick studs and play against other studs”....then yes.  Not enough depth to reward players willing to draft unconventional.   I enjoy a good 10 team banger as much as the next guy-  but it’s simple and devoid of any real strategy IMO.    

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bomont said:

No, the wire will always have more options the less players are on teams. Bigger and deeper leagues by default have less options and reward strategy more.

• Like 1

Be the last person in the league to draft a QB. 

That is all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

If by strategy u mean “pick studs and play against other studs”....then yes.  Not enough depth to reward players willing to draft unconventional.   I enjoy a good 10 team banger as much as the next guy-  but it’s simple and devoid of any real strategy IMO.    

OK then how about this: we'll set up a league with you and 8 other people who agree with this mentality. You 9 will pick names from a hat randomly. I'll draft whoever I want,  Let's see who wins the league. You all have as a good shot as me, because it's "simple and devoid of any real strategy" - right?

42 minutes ago, bomont said:

OK then how about this: we'll set up a league with you and 8 other people who agree with this mentality. You 9 will pick names from a hat randomly. I'll draft whoever I want,  Let's see who wins the league. You all have as a good shot as me, because it's "simple and devoid of any real strategy" - right?

Correct. Of all league sizes, 8-10 teamers have more chances of autodraft winners.

• Thanks 1

I didn't say "autodraft" where a bot picks for you roughly similarly to how a real person might pick, i.e. using strategy which some of you are suggesting essentially doesn't exist in a 10 team league. I said names out of a hat.

So you're in on that setup? 

Oh, I assumed you were being sarcastically hyperbolic. Yes, strategy beats randomly choosing names out of a hat. Does that justify your point? That is a very low bar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was pointing out something which shouldn't need it, i.e. the obvious silliness of "Strategy doesn't apply to 10 team leagues."  Just because the waiver wire has better players doesn't change that. (esp since strategy in fantasy football includes working the waiver wire) How much more or less is required for smaller or bigger leagues is also more than a little debatable, but not about QB strategies per se, so not commenting on this any more.

I don't believe anybody but you chose to take that statement as literally as you did, because taking it that literally is silly. The point was that strategy doesn't matter as much in 10 team, because there are so many more available players that strategy has less impact, which you never actually discussed despite being the first point you disputed.

• Thanks 1

Zero QB for a 1QB league works great--if you select the correct late round QB.  Last year, that would have been a fella by the name of Pat Mahomes, Jr.  If the team manager who took Pat Mahomes in our league in 2018 would have started him each week, he would have won the championship instead of missing the playoffs.

I am not saying you can get killed at the QB spot all season and win consistently.  I am saying you need your QB to put up solid point totals.  But those players will be available late because there are so many of them.  Also there is volatility with the early round QBs.  Wilson, Brees, Brady and some others were selected in early rounds in 2018 and largely disappointed.

But in a 2QB, 12 team league?  Under most scoring systems, if you are rolling out Flacco and Keenum against the guy who has Watson and Wilson or Rodgers and Big Ben, you are going to get slaughtered no matter how good your RBs and WRs are.  And there will be pretty much nothing on the wire at QB, as most teams will have 3 QBs to cover bye weeks. 

So I would go QB in round 1 and QB in round 2 in those leagues.  Thank the stars I do not play in any of them.

• Like 1

The QBs do seem unusually deep this year with arguably no clear standouts beyond Mahomes and pending what happens with Hill he isn't even a lock for greatness. 

12 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Zero QB for a 1QB league works great--if you select the correct late round QB.  Last year, that would have been a fella by the name of Pat Mahomes, Jr.  If the team manager who took Pat Mahomes in our league in 2018 would have started him each week, he would have won the championship instead of missing the playoffs.

I am not saying you can get killed at the QB spot all season and win consistently.  I am saying you need your QB to put up solid point totals.  But those players will be available late because there are so many of them.  Also there is volatility with the early round QBs.  Wilson, Brees, Brady and some others were selected in early rounds in 2018 and largely disappointed.

But in a 2QB, 12 team league?  Under most scoring systems, if you are rolling out Flacco and Keenum against the guy who has Watson and Wilson or Rodgers and Big Ben, you are going to get slaughtered no matter how good your RBs and WRs are.  And there will be pretty much nothing on the wire at QB, as most teams will have 3 QBs to cover bye weeks. 

So I would go QB in round 1 and QB in round 2 in those leagues.  Thank the stars I do not play in any of them.

With you up until that last sentence.   You don’t need to panic and draft qbs rounds 1 and 2 in superflex/OP/2 Qb leagues.  Play the trends and don’t be the last one to secure your qbs.  The top few qbs are a revolving carousel year to year-  Never assume a higher pick equals a better performance.    Just don’t drop the ball and end up with Stafford/ L Jax

• Like 1

I still dont know how 12 team, 2 QB leagues exist.   There has to be multiple weeks in which a team doesn't start a second QB and that's too much anxiety for me.

In the 10 teamer I do, zero QB is still a tough sell.  I truly believe i'd be ok with a couple late round QB's in my mix starting weekly, as long as I know they'll stay healthy and playing.   Problem there is, there's so little roster depth that everyone's gonna be good at RB and WR, somewhat.   You can't build up as much of an advantage there as you can in a 12 teamer.    

In terms of draft plans, I just need to try to catch the wave of a QB run while it happens.   The league's changed up a bit the last few years, we're finally out of the "always QB's early" plan.  Its musical chairs of sorts- i just want one of the last chairs and i'm fine.    The ideal scenario is a QB in round 5 and 6 for me, I think, but i'll have to be ready to adjust that if the mid tier QB's start going in the third round.