JHM_13

Zero QB Strategy

Theres plenty of late QBs in a 10 team league thatll get ya by. Big Ben has been on fire for a year and  a half and doesnt look to be slowing down. Rivers is always around qb10 to qb12 range trubisky will improve with his 2nd year in the offense murray, Jackson, and Allen will scramble enough to be relevant all year. Prescott has never not been a qb1. Cousins had 1 down year but hes fine and Jimmy G will almost certainly be fine in a Kyle Shanahan offense. I'd take 2 of those guys. All of them are ranked as qb2s or lower.  

20 hours ago, bomont said:

OK then how about this: we'll set up a league with you and 8 other people who agree with this mentality. You 9 will pick names from a hat randomly. I'll draft whoever I want,  Let's see who wins the league. You all have as a good shot as me, because it's "simple and devoid of any real strategy" - right?

I think the point is, the smaller the league, the more luck plays a factor. This is just a factual statement.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, bomont said:

? And? The wire will always have more options available no matter how big or deep your league is. The idea that "Strategy doesn't apply to 10 team leagues because the waiver wire is always full" is blatantly absurd.

The wire will have less options available with more managers. I don’t know if you compared a 14/16 team league with a 10 teamer but they are way different.

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

In the 10 teamer I do, zero QB is still a tough sell.  I truly believe i'd be ok with a couple late round QB's in my mix starting weekly, as long as I know they'll stay healthy and playing.   Problem there is, there's so little roster depth that everyone's gonna be good at RB and WR, somewhat.   You can't build up as much of an advantage there as you can in a 12 teamer.    

I'm not sure you can build much of an advantage in a 10 teamer this year, unless you expect another huge huge year from Mahomes (or someone else). I see a lot of QBs who look likely to crack 4000/30 and low INTs. Everything beyond that is a crapshoot. 

I’m someone who usually gets his QB round 10 or later. Having said that, I have had years where someone dropped and I pivoted from my original plan.  For this year so far Aaron Rodgers is going in the back of the 4th or beginning of be 5th round. If that holds up come my draft time I may have a hard time passing him up at that value. 

4 minutes ago, GreatScott! said:

I’m someone who usually gets his QB round 10 or later. Having said that, I have had years where someone dropped and I pivoted from my original plan.  For this year so far Aaron Rodgers is going in the back of the 4th or beginning of be 5th round. If that holds up come my draft time I may have a hard time passing him up at that value. 

Wayyyy overpay there. You are paying a premium for his name, IMO.

54 minutes ago, bomont said:

I'm not sure you can build much of an advantage in a 10 teamer this year, unless you expect another huge huge year from Mahomes (or someone else). I see a lot of QBs who look likely to crack 4000/30 and low INTs. Everything beyond that is a crapshoot. 

Yep, and plenty of reason to think Mahomes will regress a bit.   A stud QB no doubt, but he had some perfect game flows that allowed him to blow up the box score like he did.  Also i must point out that i drafted him in this 2 QB'r last year and totally bombed.   That next tier of QB's has a lot of risk.   Luck was studly last year.  I dont think he'll have a recurrence of the shoulder issue but its not out of the question.  Rodgers is hurt often.  Watson's a running QB with a huge question mark of a line.    They'll go 2-3 rounds before guys with much better odds to play 16 games, and not much downside in stats.   

4000/30 is like half the league at this point.   Hard to justify a premium

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Yep, and plenty of reason to think Mahomes will regress a bit. 

It's insane to think he won't regress at least a bit, probably more, from 50 TDs. 

Lots of good insight in here. Love hearing other strategies and hopefully it gives those guys something to think about before drafting Mahomes, Luck, Rodgers, etc early.

7 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

Lots of good insight in here. Love hearing other strategies and hopefully it gives those guys something to think about before drafting Mahomes, Luck, Rodgers, etc early.

If 85% of this forum could sit next to you during your draft, we'd all scream NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! at you if you considered it.     

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

If 85% of this forum could sit next to you during your draft, we'd all scream NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! at you if you considered it.     

That would probably help me out. One of these days I'll triumph!

On 6/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, BrianM said:

"Yep, and plenty of reason to think Mahomes will regress a bit. A stud QB no doubt... 4000/30 is like half the league at this point. Hard to justify a premium."

During the offseason defenses do get a better look at 1st year starters. Mahomes does a lot of things well & Andy Reid knows what to expect. Still, defenses should find ways to mitigate the damage some, it would seem. In 12-team 1QB leagues I agree with others in that the RB & WR positions are considerably depleted after 6-7 rounds, makes sense if an Andrew Luck is there (which he won't be this year) or an upside TE. Trying to load up elsewhere and resorting to one of the always available old sausages only becomes problematic if you try to ride that guy all season.

Going late has to mean that you're comfortable streaming the position. I'm probably going to double down on Jimmy G, but Trubisky & Jackson are back there too. Problem there, what's true of Mahomes is true of them as well. Watchlist material, if (x 50), Washington can somehow avoid the entire team going down with injury, especially that OL, Colt McCoy could emerge.     

• Like 1

I personally dont have a problem riding an old sausage (twss).   I'll concede I've had pretty good fortune here and perhaps I'm due for a complete flop at QB, but lately, not the case.    Again I'll stress in my 1-QB leagues there's a lot of folks who dont roster a backup, so I can get out of jail free if things really get hairy.    As the season wears on, if I need to get nitpicky, I'll look at streaming at that point and I'll have options.  I usually try to snag a backup QB that has good matchups down the stretch, before it becomes a need. 

In leagues where QB's are not so abundantly available, I see your point.   If 12 teams all have 2 QB's, its not so easy.   In my 12, there might be 18 QB's rostered.  Its a keeper, so the bench spots are better used on potential home runs, esp late in the season.   

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

During the offseason defenses do get a better look at 1st year starters. Mahomes does a lot of things well & Andy Reid knows what to expect. Still, defenses should find ways to mitigate the damage some, it would seem. In 12-team 1QB leagues I agree with others in that the RB & WR positions are considerably depleted after 6-7 rounds, makes sense if an Andrew Luck is there (which he won't be this year) or an upside TE. Trying to load up elsewhere and resorting to one of the always available old sausages only becomes problematic if you try to ride that guy all season.

Going late has to mean that you're comfortable streaming the position. I'm probably going to double down on Jimmy G, but Trubisky & Jackson are back there too. Problem there, what's true of Mahomes is true of them as well. Watchlist material, if (x 50), Washington can somehow avoid the entire team going down with injury, especially that OL, Colt McCoy could emerge.     

You were doing so well!    And then we went from Mahomes to Colt McCoy somehow.    The only place he emerges is the XFL.   

• Haha 1

I think every league should convert to 2 QB or Superflex.  It's a joke how replaceable QB is these days in a 1 QB league.

• Like 4

But in real football there is only one quarterback on the field at a time.  I prefer to see fantasy lineups more consistent with real football

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

But in real football there is only one quarterback on the field at a time.  I prefer to see fantasy lineups more consistent with real football

Does your favorite team start 2 or 3 RB's?

Edited by RMJ_12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Does your favorite team start 2 or 3 RB's?

Virtually every team has 2 RB's that have an impact on gameday.

• Like 1

Just now, Olliemets said:

Virtually every team has 2 RB's that have an impact on gameday.

He said on the field at the same time

• Like 2

Quarterback is the most important position in real football and the least important in fantasy football.  Adding a 2nd QB slot fixes that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

He said on the field at the same time

Not here to play word charades. Respectively, I think he means that teams only run out 1 QB weekly (barring very rare unorthodox gameplans that never work), whereas you frequently attack teams with 2 RB's every Sunday.

Regardless, I've only every played in 1 QB leagues and it absolutely pays to wait unless top tier stud falls into your lap later than he should in an area where you don't feel strongly about the skill players.

• Like 1

But in real football, your opponent works to prevent you from scoring. And in fantasy, we field a team defense (and some IDPs) that add to our team's point totals, rather than preventing points on the other side. Now, I don't know that there is any reasonable way to make that work, but my point is that there are so many differences between fantasy football and real football...it's made me lose my concern about trying to get fantasy to mimic reality. 

But what this just highlights is the different preferences we all have, and that's one of the beauties of FF. 

• Like 2