JHM_13

Zero QB Strategy

17 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I think every league should convert to 2 QB or Superflex.  It's a joke how replaceable QB is these days in a 1 QB league.

I understand the logic behind your point, but in 2QB or Superflex of 12 teams or higher it becomes all about the chess match of hoarding QBs and picking up guys just to block owners who have upcoming bye weeks, etc. I guess that's all part of team management or whatever but it's not an ideal way for the fantasy game to be played in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Getting back to the actual OP.......THIS YEAR at least I agree it makes sense to wait on QBs generally. That second or third tier is big and such parity on paper. Though if you wait on (or otherwise don't play as hard) the other positions, there is totally something to be said for grabbing a Luck or Mahomes IMO.

Edited by bomont

1 hour ago, bomont said:

Getting back to the actual OP.......THIS YEAR at least I agree it makes sense to wait on QBs generally. That second or third tier is big and such parity on paper. Though if you wait on (or otherwise don't play as hard) the other positions, there is totally something to be said for grabbing a Luck or Mahomes IMO.

You can tweak this by saying WR is deep and there are late WR2 gems in the late rounds who will emerge.

Why not grab a stud at QB like Luck or Mahomes and skip that WR in rounds 3-5?  In those rounds RBs in particular are also pretty dicey and busts landmines are everywhere.  

Regardless I prefer to wait on QB but I've seen guppies win who do take QBs early in drafts.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Zero QB works every time... Except when it fails. 

How does it fail?  Handfuls of good QB's come from waivers ever year.

3 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

How does it fail?  Handfuls of good QB's come from waivers ever year.

That depends on your league. In my 14-teamer/QB-hoarder league, I had to play Nick Mullens at some point during a bye week; another had to ride Blake Bortles after Garropolo went down. 

6pt passing TD juices QB's a little bit. Superflex obv juices them. Superflex with 6pt passing TD's and QBs are drafted like they would be in the NFL.

As far as regular 4pt TD leagues no point in taking a QB early. This is why regular fantasy leagues are boring AF. QB's SHOULD be valuable.

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

That depends on your league. In my 14-teamer/QB-hoarder league, I had to play Nick Mullens at some point during a bye week; another had to ride Blake Bortles after Garropolo went down. 

If you extrapolate Mullens 8 game stats to 16 games, he was QB 16 on the season.  That's my point.

I mean, it can fail in a specific case if you just somehow get the worst possible luck, but the overall success rate of it is undeniable.     

As much as I agree with the dime a dozen POV of productive QB's, I think its a bit of a golden age right now.    I'm not doing any statistical research here so don't stat me, bro, but I simply never recall there being so few teams with very shaky QB situations.    Even the undrafted guys like Stafford and Dalton have potential and can drop 4,000 yards without much good luck.   The stars of the 2000's just are not retiring and barely declining (save for Eli if you count him as a star) and the last few drafts have produced a ton of strong candidates for long term franchise QB's.   This age will continue at least for a couple years, maybe moret, but I imagine when that wave of old guys finally starts to take their horses to the old town road, it'll shift back.  

19 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Zero QB works every time... Except when it fails. 

Nah. Never does.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:06 PM, JHM_13 said:

I think you should wait on QB

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

You can tweak this by saying WR is deep and there are late WR2 gems in the late rounds who will emerge.

Why not grab a stud at QB like Luck or Mahomes and skip that WR in rounds 3-5?  In those rounds RBs in particular are also pretty dicey and busts landmines are everywhere.  

Regardless I prefer to wait on QB but I've seen guppies win who do take QBs early in drafts.  

Agree on all counts. I think it's not just about going for more points, but a safer assurance of production. The more down the list you go, the more question marks pop up (true of any position). As we used to say you can't win your league in the first round but you sure can lose it. Experience talking lol. So I like guys like Mahomes and Luck not just because of the upside but because they have a significantly better chance of not being a disappointment than others.

• Like 1

I don't think waiting is such a slam dunk.  I always wait and last year I had Stafford starting for me in two leagues.  I had to eventually find replacements as he just had too many poor weeks (one of the leagues did have inflated QB stats, so that guys like Mahomes were putting up 70-90 points a week, and the average QB was putting up 50-60; weekly team totals were around 170-230).  But even in the standard league, Stafford wasn't productive enough.  When he routinely puts up 16 and the other team's QB puts up 25, that's enough of a hole to try to get out of.

And when you have a poor starting QB (or one who goes down with an injury), often what is left on waivers are guys like Smith, Dalton, Rosen, Tannehill, etc.

Now obviously most teams in a typical league will do fine waiting, which is I guess the point.  I just wouldn't take it for granted.  Somehow I always seem to have QB issues, which makes me think I may want to just go ahead and grab a QB a little earlier in my drafts (I'd probably target Luck, or at least not wait until there has already been a run on QBs).

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, Olliemets said:

teams only run out 1 QB weekly

Because starting QBs can't be replaced by the backups while back up RB/WR/TE can.

THUS, QBs are much MUCH more valuable. Arguably irreplaceable for every team. 

56 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Because starting QBs can't be replaced by the backups while back up RB/WR/TE can.

USATSI_12036718.1649f61d.fill-735x490.jp

Just now, hoppychokes said:

USATSI_12036718.1649f61d.fill-735x490.jp

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

Arguably irreplaceable for every team

Just like you could make the argument that they would've won regardless as Wentz was on an MVP pace '17-'18.

BTW....outliers aren't enough evidence to make an argument.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

Why not call out this part? Lol

8 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

BTW....outliers aren't enough evidence to make an argument.

They're enough to point out that your definitive statements aren't actually definitive.

Edited by hoppychokes

2 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

They're enough to point out that your definitive statements aren't actually definitive.

Sure they are. Something doesn't have to be true 100% of the time to be definitive.

As with any position there are pros and cons to waiting or not on a QB.I'm leaning to a middling approach right now.....probably not paying "top dollar" for a very top QB but not waiting and getting some drek like Dalton or Stafford either. Say someone like Mayfield or Rodgers.

8 minutes ago, bomont said:

Sure they are. Something doesn't have to be true 100% of the time to be definitive.

10 backup QBs have won Superbowls. 18% is not an outlier.

Even if we assume that debatable statement is true, that's relevant because......

The original statement was:

This general statement is hardly disproven because 18% of super bowls were won by backups, to put it mildly.  QB is the single most important position on a team.

32 minutes ago, bomont said:

Even if we assume that debatable statement is true, that's relevant because......

The original statement was:

This general statement is hardly disproven because 18% of super bowls were won by backups, to put it mildly.  QB is the single most important position on a team.

Okay, but it wasn't a general statement it was an absolute statement. He even uses emphasis to make it so.

But lets not dig trenches with semantics, because this is FF and I agree with the majority of the premise and streaming QBs.

Posted (edited)

how do you guys feel if Jimmy G was your only QB starting in a 12 teamer? Big season incoming especially with Shanahan? I missed out on all the QB runs and ended with him 

Edited by dannyz6969

9 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

Okay, but it wasn't a general statement it was an absolute statement. He even uses emphasis to make it so.

No it wasn't, but I agree it's not worth going round about.

I think there is definite upside with Garappolo, but with a lot of more or less unknown weapons, I wouldn't expect too much. You could do worse for a late round QB. I think he will do "pretty good" this year (high 3000s, 28-15iish numbers) and be a popular sleeper next year. IIRC he doesn't offer much of anything running.

• Like 1