Sign in to follow this  
killa3312

Shane McClanahan, SP, Tampa Bay

Another young stud arm in the Rays system. Got promoted to High-A recently and has been virtually unhittablenwith 29.1 IP, 16 H, and 32 K with a 0.31 ERA. Smaller stature lefty that might end up in the bullpen but has a huge fastball. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Stack on another promo, now to AA. He's a very interesting arm, that really flies under a lot of radars.

A lefty with his stuff and results should make an appearance on a number of top 100 lists for 2020.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

whoa. I haven't watched Mcclanahan pitch since he was in college at South Florida.  The TB Rays know how to tinker and develop their pitchers. In college Mcclanahan had a super high effort delivery and that infamous recoil. Watching his start tonight, it's incredible to see how much the Rays improved his delivery.  While their still some recoil, he actually has a much more fluid delivery without seeming to put too much stress on his arm. He maintained his high velocity throughout the start and besides his dirty fastball with a nice spin rate...his changeup and slider lethal as fuk. All 3 pitches were plus tonight! 

The biggest effect his mechanical changes have had are on his control. While mcclanahan has always had plus command on his pitches, his max effort delivery led to control problems. He was hitting the corners and mixing his stuff up like a veteran tonight. My biggest concern with the mechanical adjustments he's made and the improved control was whether he maintains his elite strikeout ability. And I lost count on swinging strikes after counting his 12th one.

Ive always been higher then most on Mcclanahan because of the nasty stuff that comes out of his left arm.  But I never believed he could be a starter in the future because of his max effort delivery until tonight. Although scouts have always mentioned that with his athleticism he would be able to harness it and throw more strikes. 

Mcclanahan is an ace in the making. When he pitches like he did tonight, hitters just cannot hit his stuff. He's literally unhittable when he's on. I know tonight he only pitched until the end of the 5th inning but he had only thrown 70 pitches and could have easily gone another 2 innings. Very excited to watch the Rays continue to untap Mcclanahans sky high potential.

Edited by 40+ Year Prospect Junkie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just for me, personally, there is not a better pitcher in that very good Tampa system. Basically excluding McKay, as he's already up.

• Like 1