smeeze

Hunter Henry 2019 Outlook

The Los Angeles Chargers had big plans for Hunter Henry last season. Then, as it has so often for a franchise perpetually snake-bitten by the injury serpent, the dynamic tight end blew his ACL in May.

The blueprints were ripped up in an instant.

Nearly a full year later, Henry is ready to get those plans back to action.
"I'm pretty much full-go," he said as the Chargers opened offseason workouts Monday, per the team's official website. "Everything feels good. It still gets sore every once in a while, but it's nothing too bad. It's nothing that's crazy. It's just a workout soreness."

The Chargers will likely take it easy on the tight end this summer, but having a full year's rehab under his belt means he shouldn't miss any time due to the knee issue.

"I'm feeling good," he said. "I'm just still trying to get strong and make sure everything is good. I'm excited. [My knee] is feeling really good. ... It's been a long process. This thing is crazy how long it takes. I'm just excited to get back out with the guys and get going."

Henry was able to get back to the active roster for the Chargers' playoff loss to the New England Patriots, but that return was more symbolic than productive. The tight end played just 13 snaps, per Next Gen Stats, and didn't catch a pass.

Henry believes simply getting back for that playoff game will help springboard into his fourth NFL season.

"It was definitely big," he said. "It was good for just my spirits and pushing me this offseason, too, to get back out there and get a little taste of it. It was definitely big for my confidence."

Still just 24-years-old, Henry was a matchup nightmare for opponents in 2017, owning the ability to beat defenders on short crossers or deeper sideline patterns. His presence on the field opens options for Philip Rivers and the rest of the offense. If Henry returns to form in 2019, pairing with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Travis Benjamin will make the L.A. passing offense immensely difficult to handle for defenses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026546/article/hunter-henry-on-knee-im-pretty-much-fullgo

ADP is 6.02 in PPR per FFC, he should be 100% ready for the start of the season. Are you targeting HH in the mid rounds?

Posted (edited)

nevermind, i are idiot

Edited by JJRules

eh, I'm kinda looking his way but not really targeting. If other middling TEs aren't avail I might. 

A lot of hype surrounding a player coming off a torn ACL. Not saying he isn't worth it, but just wondering if he'll need a season to work his way back to where he was pre-injury. 

Surprised he doesn’t have a thread already, let’s hope his adp is also flying under the radar 

18 minutes ago, The G Man said:

A lot of hype surrounding a player coming off a torn ACL. Not saying he isn't worth it, but just wondering if he'll need a season to work his way back to where he was pre-injury. 

That's been over a year ago already. IMO that isn't an issue. And if the Gordon thing blows up, as someone else already mentioned in another thread, that could be good for Henry to get those short passes Gordon got. But I still don't truly buy into the guy. 

47 minutes ago, bomont said:

That's been over a year ago already. IMO that isn't an issue. And if the Gordon thing blows up, as someone else already mentioned in another thread, that could be good for Henry to get those short passes Gordon got. But I still don't truly buy into the guy. 

Keenan does just fine with those short and intermediate routes. 

6 hours ago, smeeze said:

ADP is 6.02 in PPR per FFC, he should be 100% ready for the start of the season. Are you targeting HH in the mid rounds?

For PPR that's good value.  I'd bump up a 1/2 round in non PPR.  He's not going to get the same number of targets as Howard / Engram.  I think his upside is what Ebron did last year.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, The G Man said:

He tore his ACL before the season started last year. Over a year of recovery under his belt. He played at the end of last season in the playoffs against NE. He's 100% healthy coming in to the season.

Agreed- I'm more iffy on a guy that tore it in October or later, but he'll have all that extra time.   If i recall correctly, he's not supposed to be limited this summer, so provided he doesn't have setbacks during camp, draft away.    

Maybe it's just me, but I think the price is a bit steep on Henry this year. He's shown promise when on the field but is coming off a missed season and hasn't necessarily proven himself worthy of an early 6th round ADP in my opinion. I'd actually prefer one of the more established guys who are going a bit later on, like Ebron or Cook. 

Don't get me wrong, I respect that Henry is a great athlete on a very good offense. His ceiling is attractive but I just haven't seen enough to justify that price tag. 

I agree in general but not when compared to Ebron or Cook, even at a slightly lesser cost. Ebron is going to see a huge dip in numbers with all the weapons the Colts have now and Cook is about the 3d or 4th receiving option on a run-first team now.

I don’t see HH as an injury concern at all (almost played late last year) and this is right where he was going last year (6th round). I think people just forgot how promising he looked. Mike will might steal some tds but I would argue HH is the main red zone option with how rivers loves TEs

Henry is my guy this year.  Then again, Gronk was my horse last year sooooooo

giphy.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the price is a bit steep on Henry this year. He's shown promise when on the field but is coming off a missed season and hasn't necessarily proven himself worthy of an early 6th round ADP in my opinion. I'd actually prefer one of the more established guys who are going a bit later on, like Ebron or Cook. 

Don't get me wrong, I respect that Henry is a great athlete on a very good offense. His ceiling is attractive but I just haven't seen enough to justify that price tag. 

I agree, the current price tag seems a little high for my liking. The talent is there and the situation seems good, but there are also a lot of mouths to feed. Also hard to predict how missing Gordon will affect the offense if that happens. 

However I'm also a little weary of Cook or Ebron. Overall I just don't like what happens when in mocks when I pick a TE around this area because it's kind of your last shot at getting a semi solid RB. 

To me it has shades of Trey Burton 2018. Not identical, but you have a good athlete in a good situation that should work on paper, and the hype train is at full speed. Give HH a strong preseason and his price will keep going up. Too rich for my blood, although I fully admit I could end up regretting it. 

I'm actually liking Burton at his 2019 price, kind of a post hype price tag. I think Trubisky and that offense has a year of work together and can all take a step forward. Same with Graham having a year in with Rodgers and seeing some positive TD regression. Those guys seem to have price tags that seem more agreeable to me. 

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

I'm actually liking Burton at his 2019 price, kind of a post hype price tag. I think Trubisky and that offense has a year of work together and can all take a step forward. Same with Graham having a year in with Rodgers and seeing some positive TD regression. Those guys seem to have price tags that seem more agreeable to me. 

Absoluely. Burton is a guy I am totally into at his current price. Nice risk/reward ratio for a talented guy on an offense than can produce, but doesn’t have any other players who are necessarily locked into high target numbers. If his ADP stays put, he’ll be the TE I’m targeting in most drafts this year.  

• Like 1

Should probably take this to the burton thread, but the reason why a lot of us were wrong on burton was nagy insists on spreading the ball around. Chargers and rivers love to target the TE. Bears did when they had literally no one at wr, now they have more options. Burton might be fine for his post- hype sleeper adp, but I think he has another inconsistent season. Would rather have Henry at their adps 

34 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Should probably take this to the burton thread, but the reason why a lot of us were wrong on burton was nagy insists on spreading the ball around. Chargers and rivers love to target the TE. Bears did when they had literally no one at wr, now they have more options. Burton might be fine for his post- hype sleeper adp, but I think he has another inconsistent season. Would rather have Henry at their adps 

Last year the Chargers were 4th-last in the league in TE targets. That could have just been a lack of personnel to throw to. But doesn't exactly speak to them being an offense that loves to target TE's. Rivers targeted Gates a lot in his prime, but that was also because Gates was his best receiving option. Now Rivers has Allen and Williams who are both very good at WR. 

Overall Chargers were 22nd in the league in pass attempts. If Gordon plays they could end up gearing more towards the running game again. There is certainly some targets there for HH since Tyrell Williams has left and they seem to like HH. I just don't fully believe the narrative that they are a TE loving team. 

FWIW, Bears were 21st in TE targets and 25th in passes overall, so they did throw a slightly higher percentage of passes to TE's than average. If the offense improves in year two under Nagy and Trubisky grows, there is lots of room for those targets to increase. 

I’ve seen the narrative developing that Rivers “loves throwing to TEs”. Let’s be honest here, he played the majority of his career with a guy who is inarguably top five all time at the position. Anybody who played with Gates and didn’t hammer him with targets would have been a complete fool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

I’ve seen the narrative developing that Rivers “loves throwing to TEs”. Let’s be honest here, he played the majority of his career with a guy who is inarguably top five all time at the position. Anybody who played with Gates and didn’t hammer him with targets would have been a complete fool. 

Exactly

On 7/20/2019 at 10:36 PM, bomont said:

I agree in general but not when compared to Ebron or Cook, even at a slightly lesser cost. Ebron is going to see a huge dip in numbers with all the weapons the Colts have now and Cook is about the 3d or 4th receiving option on a run-first team now.

I'm nitpicking here but Cook definitely looks to be the 3rd option in NOLA with only 1 WR ahead of him as of today (MT and Kamara) unless TreQuan makes the leap. Henry has 2 WR clearly ahead of him from a target perspective in Williams and Allen, plus Rivers targets Gordon (assuming he plays) and Ekeler plenty as well. Both teams have strong defenses, but the Chargers are superior on that side of the ball too imo (lower scoring games and whatnot). I would definitely rather go Cook in the 7th-8th than Henry in the 5th-6th. I'd go Vance McDonald over either of them though, accounting for ADP of course. 

• Like 1

Fair post. One thing you left out though is Cook is old. :) I would not be at all surprised if he did a quick fade. He is in a great situation though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

I'm nitpicking here but Cook definitely looks to be the 3rd option in NOLA with only 1 WR ahead of him as of today (MT and Kamara) unless TreQuan makes the leap. Henry has 2 WR clearly ahead of him from a target perspective in Williams and Allen, plus Rivers targets Gordon (assuming he plays) and Ekeler plenty as well. Both teams have strong defenses, but the Chargers are superior on that side of the ball too imo (lower scoring games and whatnot). I would definitely rather go Cook in the 7th-8th than Henry in the 5th-6th. I'd go Vance McDonald over either of them though, accounting for ADP of course. 

I really like Vance McDonald too but hes injured alot. I dont think hes ever played a full season. But good God does it seem like hes in a perfect situation