throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

My problem with Eckler is he is going too high since Gordon could sign at anytime. I know Bell held out all year but when is the last time besides Bell that top player say out all year? 

Not to mention there's not a snowball's chance in Hell Ekeler does what Conner did last year. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

My problem with Eckler is he is going too high since Gordon could sign at anytime. I know Bell held out all year but when is the last time besides Bell that top player say out all year? 

Well, Bell did indeed get paid, so there is precedent now that the strategy can work while taking a year off to manage the typical RB wear and tear while making far less than you want (i.e. ensuring you don't get injured before going for a big payday). I have no clue if Gordon would consider the Bell situation, but Bell did raise the bar for any RB thinking of attempting the same strategy.

58 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Well, Bell did indeed get paid, so there is precedent now that the strategy can work while taking a year off to manage the typical RB wear and tear while making far less than you want (i.e. ensuring you don't get injured before going for a big payday). I have no clue if Gordon would consider the Bell situation, but Bell did raise the bar for any RB thinking of attempting the same strategy.

Bell didn't sign his franchise tag, Gordon is under contract. He has to play six games for this season to even count. Very different situations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oban14 said:

Bell didn't sign his franchise tag, Gordon is under contract. He has to play six games for this season to even count. Very different situations.

He could still hold out until week 11, then report and take it from there in terms of how much he gets into the mix over the final six games. So he could still substantially reduce the wear and tear on his body while making far less than he wants this season. I'm not encouraging it, but that could be part of the mindset.

Some are saying Ekeler is going too high, but I guess that depends on league type. I know I drafted him as a stand-alone in PPR. He does have better value with Gordon out, but I expect nothing more than a 60-40 split in favor of Ekeler. He’s the more versatile back, but not a three down back. He fits well in the offense albeit on part-time basis. 

2 hours ago, Dark One said:

He could still hold out until week 11, then report and take it from there in terms of how much he gets into the mix over the final six games. So he could still substantially reduce the wear and tear on his body while making far less than he wants this season. I'm not encouraging it, but that could be part of the mindset.

Yes, worst case for Gordon drafters is that he reports week 11 and is benched by the team/deactivated the rest of the year.  I think it's more likely that he will play before then, and whenever he comes back, the team will play him.  

2 hours ago, ponchsox said:

His value is climbing every day.

True although I expect to see Gordon back at practice this upcoming week. That's just a hunch tho lol

But no worries though because all Gordon owners drafted Eck....right?

On 8/22/2019 at 6:24 AM, Impreza178 said:

All good man.  we know what AE does well- and what he’s not built for. 

Your weekly reminder that Justin Jackson is 6'0" and weighs 198 lbs. Ekeler is not a prototypical running back, but he's better "built for" running between the tackles than Jackson is. He's a better pass catcher, a better blocker, and from what he's shown so far at least, a better runner. He certainly looks like the better running back to anybody who's actually watched them both play outside of 1 night game.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JD88 said:

What else would they say?

Of course theyd lie through their teeth rather than admit they need MG. 

If they were really happy, they probably wouldn't have offered LeSean a contract either.

3 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

If they were really happy, they probably wouldn't have offered LeSean a contract either.

Exactly. The only people pretending Eckler is an every down back is the Chargers FO and fantasy owners. 

8 minutes ago, JD88 said:

What else would they say?  Well, they wouldn't call Ekeler their "every-down back" if it was going to be a committee with Jackson.

9 minutes ago, JD88 said:

If they needed him, he'd have a new contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lla887 said:

This guy just took a big jump up a lot of draft boards.  

How high?  For people who haven’t drafted yet, what tier are you looking at for Ekeler?

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

How high?  For people who haven’t drafted yet, what tier are you looking at for Ekeler?

Personally I just bumped him up to a fifth round pick and debating moving him higher up the list.  Before I would be looking at him 8th round or later.  

I have him him just after Damien Williams and just before Marlon Mack.  

Edited by lla887
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, lla887 said:

Personally I just bumped him up to a fifth round pick and debating moving him higher up the list.  Before I would be looking at him 8th round or later.  

I have him him just after Damien Williams and just before Marlon Mack.  

I took Ekeler in the 6th in a 12 team league the other night, felt like a reach afterwards but now not so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JD88 said:

Exactly. The only people pretending Eckler is an every down back is the Chargers FO and fantasy owners. 

Pretty much this. He has value but its unlikely he produces as much as connor did last year. Didn't look that great in the games he had when MG was out and Rivers is still willing to pass until his arm falls off

15 minutes ago, SteelBallin said:

same here, i drafted him in the 8th round of a 12 teamer today. so doesn't seem like he moved up much

People were slow to get the news of the Chargers giving Gordon permission to seek a trade with other teams.