throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

You seem pretty confident. I wish I was as confident as you. While I think the longer he holds out the more I agree with you there’s always that chance. Someone wants to buy ekeler from me and I was initially shopping him around but now I don’t know if I want to sell. You guys selling or holding?

Depends on the price. I've already talked about this in here. Ekeler is going to get a very wide range of valuations, and you own him for a reason, so you probably hold him in higher esteem than other owners in your league. He'll be hard to move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few players Ekeler owners who don’t have MG can look to stash now to cover the likely loss of production when Gordon returns.  I have Ekeler and JJ (not Gordon), and I just traded for AJ Green. Granted Ekeler is my Flex, but there some RBs as well that could be of increasing value later in the season. Players that come to mind (and I’m likely missing some), that are of varying values include:

- AJG

- Golden Tate

- Kareem Hunt

- Tevin Coleman

- Derrius Guice

- Devin Singletary (not a cheap trade target, but should gradually take over)

- Miles Sanders

- Kenyan Drake (if he gets traded)

Or of course you can just try and acquire a couple high value handcuffs in case the starters get injured.

 

Point being, there are ways to setup your roster to account for the loss of Ekeler in the event that MG comes back later in the season as the workhorse that don’t involve trading for Gordon.

Edited by SkinsChargersFan
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lla887 said:

 

No because I own MG.  If I didn’t I would sell for a solid RB2 or equivalent but no less than that 

The thing is even though you own Gordon you aren’t really 100% safe. If he comes back to the chargers without being traded there’s no guarantee he gets his job back. Or he could become backup to ekeler or they can share snaps 50/50. No one really knows how this is going to play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

There are a few players Ekeler owners who don’t have MG can look to stash now to cover the likely loss of production when Gordon returns.  I have Ekeler and JJ (not Gordon), and I just traded for AJ Green. Granted Ekeler is my Flex, but there some RBs as well that could be of increasing value later in the season. Players that come to mind (and I’m likely missing some), that are of varying values include:

- AJG

- Golden Tate

- Kareem Hunt

- Tevin Coleman

- Derrius Guice

- Devin Singletary (not a cheap trade target, but should gradually take over)

- Miles Sanders

- Kenyan Drake (if he gets traded)

Or of course you can just try and acquire a couple high value handcuffs in case the starters get injured.

 

Point being, there are ways to setup your roster to account for the loss of Ekeler in the event that MG comes back later in the season as the workhorse that don’t involve trading for Gordon.

None of these guys will even get remotely close to ekelers production right now. He’s the #1 Rb in my league right now standard scoring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

The thing is even though you own Gordon you aren’t really 100% safe. If he comes back to the chargers without being traded there’s no guarantee he gets his job back. Or he could become backup to ekeler or they can share snaps 50/50. No one really knows how this is going to play out.

 

Absolutely.  My nightmare scenario is this backfield turns into a 50/50 timeshare when MG returns and both backs become marginal plays.  Three possibilities: MG becomes lead back, Ekeler stays lead back, or RBBC.  Owning both insures against 2/3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or there is the fourth dream scenario where MG gets traded and I’m now sitting on two RB1s

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lla887 said:

Or there is the fourth dream scenario where MG gets traded and I’m now sitting on two RB1s

That would be the ideal scenario. Seems like no one is really trying to sell him though? You guys just going to ride this hot streak out till it ends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StevenSC400 said:

That would be the ideal scenario. Seems like no one is really trying to sell him though? You guys just going to ride this hot streak out till it ends?

He's been the best player in fantasy football so far if we're talking about actual positional value. I've seen this before. I'm riding him until the wheels fall off. And, for the record, they will. The Chargers are reinstalling Gordon as a workhorse the second he's back on the field. But Ekeler will still have standalone value, just as he did last year, and probably more of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

None of these guys will even get remotely close to ekelers production right now. He’s the #1 Rb in my league right now standard scoring. 

 

And your point?  You can get most of those guys for relatively cheap right now, and they could be solid flex starters if Ekeler’s production falls off a cliff when Gordon returns.

 

Or you could:

1) Trade him for less than his current RB1 production 

2) Overpay for Gordon, who at best simply replaces his production

3) Do nothing and cry when MG returns to workhorse status upon coming back to the team

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

 

And your point?  You can get most of those guys for relatively cheap right now, and they could be solid flex starters if Ekeler’s production falls off a cliff when Gordon returns.

 

Or you could:

1) Trade him for less than his current RB1 production 

2) Overpay for Gordon, who at best simply replaces his production

3) Do nothing and cry when MG returns to workhorse status upon coming back to the team

 

Why would you think Ekelers production would fall off a cliff with Gordon? We already saw this last season and Ekeler still had over1k scrimmage yards and 6 TDs despite seeing 103 less touches than Gordon. Ekeler will still be quite effective, even with Gordon. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Why would you think Ekelers production would fall off a cliff with Gordon?

Because he's getting 20 touches per game now, and he was getting 10 last year. Come on, man. He will fall off a relative cliff related to last year. It's impossible not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Why would you think Ekelers production would fall off a cliff with Gordon? We already saw this last season and Ekeler still had over1k scrimmage yards and 6 TDs despite seeing 103 less touches than Gordon. Ekeler will still be quite effective, even with Gordon. 

 

Yes, he was startable last season, especially in PPR.  However, I think once Gordon gets up to speed (2nd game back?), the Chargers are going to run him into the ground knowing he’s fresh and won’t be there next season.  If they are in playoff position, they’ll likely want to scale back AE’s touches quite a bit so they don’t wear him out. And why wouldn’t they? With Gordon, they have 3 good RBs.

 

He could still be a flex, but I’d rather invest in other options if possible, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Why would you think Ekelers production would fall off a cliff with Gordon? We already saw this last season and Ekeler still had over1k scrimmage yards and 6 TDs despite seeing 103 less touches than Gordon. Ekeler will still be quite effective, even with Gordon. 

 

Exactly. 

Ekeler won't just fall off a cliff to the MIA twilight zone.  He has standalone value with MG on the field.  

Edited by theSPANKER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Because he's getting 20 touches per game now, and he was getting 10 last year. Come on, man. He will fall off a relative cliff related to last year. It's impossible not to.

 

Hes 24 and has been lightly used lol. I’m pretty sure he can handle 20 touches a game...

Edited by Dexter75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dexter75 said:

Hes 24 and has been lightly used lol. I’m pretty sure he can handle 20 touches a game...

Except he won't. Because Gordon. I mean, s---, even if you're expecting them to split carries, he's not going to get 20 touches per game. So why are you disputing the fact that his production isn't going to be 25 points per game when Gordon comes back? That will obviously drastically change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If 

49 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

 

And your point?  You can get most of those guys for relatively cheap right now, and they could be solid flex starters if Ekeler’s production falls off a cliff when Gordon returns.

 

Or you could:

1) Trade him for less than his current RB1 production 

2) Overpay for Gordon, who at best simply replaces his production

3) Do nothing and cry when MG returns to workhorse status upon coming back to the team

There’s only two real options. You either trade him for a player way better than the ones you mentioned but clearly not as good as him or you ride this out for however long it lasts. But trading for dart throws for possible flex options isn’t a solution. That’s why I posted cause I was curious to see how many here are trying to sell. Also based on what I found it looks like Gordon has to report 30 days before week 17 not six weeks. So that’s a big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Except he won't. Because Gordon. I mean, s---, even if you're expecting them to split carries, he's not going to get 20 touches per game. So why are you disputing the fact that his production isn't going to be 25 points per game when Gordon comes back? That will obviously drastically change.

 

I never said his production wasn’t going to drop if Gordon comes back, it clearly will. However,it’s not going to “fall off a cliff”. Like I said, last year he piled up some nice numbers and was a solid flex play for most the season. No reason he wouldn’t be this year too, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

If 

There’s only two real options. You either trade him for a player way better than the ones you mentioned but clearly not as good as him or you ride this out for however long it lasts. But trading for dart throws for possible flex options isn’t a solution. That’s why I posted cause I was curious to see how many here are trying to sell. Also based on what I found it looks like Gordon has to report 30 days before week 17 not six weeks. So that’s a big difference.

 

I never said trade Ekeler for those guys. 

As has been stated, you’re never going to get equal value for the advantage he is currently giving your team. Most of us drafted him as at least our RB2, if not 3 or 4.  I would venture to say the majority of teams with Ekeler in their FLEX are probably 2-0.  That’s why you hold Ekeler and ride it out unless someone gives you a big offer.

Fantasy is a week-to-week game, so trading him for a low-end RB 2/3 who is gonna give you 8-10 points a week (but who might be the starter all season), doesn’t make sense because it takes away your competitive advantage.

What I was saying is look to acquire another player who might give you that competitive advantage later in the season (such as an AJ Green), who you might not have to pay full price for now, but could replace Ekeler down the road when Gordon returns.

Edited by SkinsChargersFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Szer0 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2853201-the-rise-of-austin-ekeler

Not Fantasy related, but a nice read nonetheless...

Gives you a picture about the MAN, beyond his Fantasy points

 

Excellent read. Thanks for sharing! As a UNC alum, it hurts me to think that the last coaching staff could have had him and paid no attention, but they were pretty terrible all around.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Except he won't. Because Gordon. I mean, s---, even if you're expecting them to split carries, he's not going to get 20 touches per game. So why are you disputing the fact that his production isn't going to be 25 points per game when Gordon comes back? That will obviously drastically change.

 

What sort of evidence do you have that Gordon will come back and immediately fall back into 20 touches a game? You think a dude who is holding out for more money to limit punishment on his body is going to be a dream boat employee when he comes back and the Chargers want to run him into the ground for the last 6 games of the season? 

 

This is an unprecedented event happening, stop acting like your assumptions are the right ones while others are wrong. Frankly, no one knows what's going to happen when he comes back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm the Charger FO I give Gordon the finger and ride Ekeler into the ground just to prove a point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

If I'm the Charger FO I give Gordon the finger and ride Ekeler into the ground just to prove a point

If I was Gordon, I'd be back after Week 1😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

If I'm the Charger FO I give Gordon the finger and ride Ekeler into the ground just to prove a point

prove that he's worthless while also trying to extract something of worth from another team for him

awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FritzLn said:

prove that he's worthless while also trying to extract something of worth from another team for him

awesome!

vs. Give him a ton of reps and bump that future contract number up even further. He's gonna walk, and they'll have to be happy with a compesatory pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...