Sign in to follow this  
smeeze

T.J. Hockenson 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, altmin said:

My dilemma is I play in a league where TEs are not required. I have him on the roster in case he blew up, but have to decide if he is consistently outperforming any particular WR on my squad all of whom are boom or bust at that point in the depth chart. He goes off again next week and I'll probably have him starting week 3. 

He will never play for you then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's what ebron should've been on this team. he looked legit. good or bad defense regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked great yesterday but you're chasing points if you make a move for him now.  You probably already saw his best fantasy output of 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Looked great yesterday but you're chasing points if you make a move for him now.  You probably already saw his best fantasy output of 2019.

 

That doesn’t prevent him from being a viable FF asset this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the type of talent you feel good gambling your 1st priority waiver on. TE is such a cesspool that if you waited and filled up at other spots this kid could be a legit league winner. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

That doesn’t prevent him from being a viable FF asset this year. 

 

I'm only cautioning against paying up for him.  He's worth an add if you had a streamer type at TE.  But I wouldn't assume he's going to be anything more than a back-end TE1 (probably just a bit above streaming level at best) and burn a high waiver position (or even worse trade a substantial asset) for him, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hockesnson is just as good as his former Iowa teammate, Kittle.  If Hockenson is available you should grab him now because it's so hard to find a good TE off waivers.  It's doubtful he has another game like that but he's worth the pick up right now.  The guy is very talented, Lions just need to utilize him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drafted this dude as a backup to Kittle after losing Gronk this offseason and could not be more excited about his future.  I heard one commentator call him "Gronk-esque" in his ability to get YAC.  He passes the eye test for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TE just isn't a valuable position in fantasy because you only have to start 1. It's much more important to invest in WRs/RBs to protect yourself from injury. Streaming TEs last year finished as the 5th best TE. A rookie TE on a run-heavy offense with a poor OL doesn't project to do well longterm.

 

With that said, maybe he can overcome this hurdle because I'll admit that the talent is very real. I'd be very hesitant to use a # 1 waiver on him though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

TE just isn't a valuable position in fantasy because you only have to start 1. It's much more important to invest in WRs/RBs to protect yourself from injury. Streaming TEs last year finished as the 5th best TE. A rookie TE on a run-heavy offense with a poor OL doesn't project to do well longterm.

 

With that said, maybe he can overcome this hurdle because I'll admit that the talent is very real. I'd be very hesitant to use a # 1 waiver on him though.

Streaming TEs finished as the 5th best?

Doesn't that assume that you get the best one every time?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

Looked great yesterday but you're chasing points if you make a move for him now.  You probably already saw his best fantasy output of 2019.

 

Wait, you watched the game yesterday and concluded that after 9 targets, not to mention looking like an obvious mismatch nightmare - it would be his best output of the year?

Here let me help you .....

giphy.gif

Edited by RockSexton
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Streaming TEs finished as the 5th best?

Doesn't that assume that you get the best one every time?

 

No, it means the consensus top projected streamer of the week finished # 5. Not the actual best performance on the wire. I took that from a Fantasy Footballers Youtube video a month or two ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Singing in Dwayne said:

 

No, it means the consensus top projected streamer of the week finished # 5. Not the actual best performance on the wire. I took that from a Fantasy Footballers Youtube video a month or two ago.

That seems like a much more effective strategy in 10 team leagues than 14 team leagues. And I'm hesitant to believe that stat is true at all without evidence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drafted him in the final round but didn't expect such a quick payoff. I started Kyle Rudolph and his 0 points instead of TJH. I think I'm gonna roll with this kid from now on despite the uncertainty of rookie TEs, he looks like he could be a special case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only did he look legit his first game in the League. I think he is going to be getting the majority of those passes that once went to Megatron. Yeah I’m sure he’s got the trust already now the volume. Dudes going to be a top dawg for all the years he’s healthy. He checks all the boxes. As far as his best game this season, yeah stand by. Once he starts breaking tackles too. The floor is hi. Top 5 TE. Book it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RockSexton said:

 

Wait, you watched the game yesterday and concluded that after 9 targets, not to mention looking like an obvious mismatch nightmare - it would be his best output of the year?

 

 

Rook, the guy had 131 yards and a TD; 25.1 points in PPR.  Don't get your feelings hurt to think he probably won't eclipse that again.  It's a huge number.

Here's how many games Travis Kelce had last season with more than 25.1 points in PPR: four.  And Kelce is an elite beast who was on one of the best offenses in league history last year and the focal point of the passing game.  Ertz did it three times and, again, has a track record of production and being the #1 target on his offense.  TJ Hockenson is a rookie on a team that usually doesn't use the tight end, just played a poor Arizona squad, and played 75 minutes, something that the Lions probably won't do for another 20 years.

Have some perspective.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hock looks great. As I said a few weeks ago I draft Hock as my TE2 with Mcdonald as TE1. Looks like Hock has earned the start next week and I will likely drop Mcdonald. I think Im going to test my luck tonight and drop Justice Hill (who I still like alot but didnt have a big game, doubtful someone picks him up) and add Noah Fant. Ya never know, Iowa has proven to produce top notch TEs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Ertz in one league and O.J. in the other. Thank god I have The Hockerstein! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And as someone who drafted and had Kittle last year, the Lions are using him in much of the same ways. A lot of H-back formations. Add this man. Immediately. As an H-back his versatility will truly shine. He can either block as a top notch fullback on a run OR can use his speed and route running ability to destroy linebackers/ safeties in coverage on play action. Again, Hock is a gem. Watching Fant tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Looked great yesterday but you're chasing points if you make a move for him now.  You probably already saw his best fantasy output of 2019.

 

Maybe or he could just be a special talent. Reports all season out of camp were Hock was making crazy catches in practice. He looked good in preseason. Now he killed it week 1.

Keep in mind that Hock was the by far the best non Murray offensive prospect in the draft. He was a guy many teams were rumored to be targeting for a trade up. This was a really good defensive draft at the top. Theirs a reason a defensive coach grabbed him with great talent like Bush/Oliver on board. Hocks the best TE prospect to come out in years. 

 Coming from the Detroit area I actually have to follow the lions. You do realize that Stafford was playing with a messed up back last season which led to them being more run heavy then they'll be this season right? Did you watch the game yesterday? The defense doesnt look good they fell apart in the 2nd half teams will score points on them. I know the coach speak says they want to be run a heavy offense but that doesnt matter when you need to score. They've got a really tough schedule coming up they wont be beating teams like Chargers/Kc/packers with a ground and pound game. 

 

Edited by buzzkilloton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

 

Rook, the guy had 131 yards and a TD; 25.1 points in PPR.  Don't get your feelings hurt to think he probably won't eclipse that again.  It's a huge number.

Here's how many games Travis Kelce had last season with more than 25.1 points in PPR: four.  And Kelce is an elite beast who was on one of the best offenses in league history last year and the focal point of the passing game.  Ertz did it three times and, again, has a track record of production and being the #1 target on his offense.  TJ Hockenson is a rookie on a team that usually doesn't use the tight end, just played a poor Arizona squad, and played 75 minutes, something that the Lions probably won't do for another 20 years.

Have some perspective.

 

agreed with all this, but it should be noted he only had 1 catch for 7 yards in OT

http://www.nflsavant.com/targets.php?ddlTeam=DET&ddlYear=2019&week=1&rz=all&ddlPosition=

Edited by FritzLn
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.