joshua18

The End of Evan Silva's Advice...

Now that he's left Rotoworld and is charging $230/year to access his matchup column and other work (he's also leaving the Fantasy Feast pod after August). 

Personally, I take it as a challenge to keep my independent research up because as useful as Silva was, he was wrong a LOT.

Any thoughts from those who (like me) will not be paying for fantasy advice?

• Like 4

At the end of the day, it’s all just guesswork. It’s not like Silva has some magical treasure trove of secret fantasy knowledge.

I don’t pay for any FF info, personally. I just use readily available statistics and rankings to make a best guess of how players and teams might perform. Last year, I did consider Silva’s top 150 as just another source of info/opinion.

To be honest, I didn’t do that well. My team was fine but the person in our league who took Conner and Mahomes as a gamble in the late rounds destroyed everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I see three types of FF information:

- pure analytical statistics. It's up to the user to decide what of that is interesting; paying for someone collecting loads of non-public data is fine by me. I use pro football reference, but there are good paid sources.

- factual player news. A player holds out, hits his wife, shows up at the training, is the favorite target of the QB, etc. Twitter and especially SleeerBot are your friend here. It is important to separate this from the third:

- opinions. As the ditty goes, every @$$hole has one, or something to that effect. I would never pay for this, especially where it borders on hype or pushing.

I didn't follow Silva, but he had some interesting stuff in the second category, and some less interesting in the third. I wish him all the best! :)

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2

I enjoyed his insight. when I compare him to the likes of Matthew berry, Mike fabiano; the mainstream guys..:Silva was superior. ✌️Mr Silva & good luck

• Like 4

good luck Evan Silva!

i would pay for Mike Ditka's  advice.

especially if it involved sausage.

Go Bears!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I only sub to PFF via coupon (like $20 for a year) and enjoy the statistically approach to most of the opinion pieces (Scott Barrett primarily). 

I enjoyed reading silvas work and agreed with his analysis on a lot of guys. The only problem is that he’s wrong on so many people and will never admit that. One case in particular that irked me was he hyped up Rex burkhead and then when he went down tried to say I told you so about James white? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Now that he's left Rotoworld and is charging $230/year to access his matchup column and other work (he's also leaving the Fantasy Feast pod after August). 

Personally, I take it as a challenge to keep my independent research up because as useful as Silva was, he was wrong a LOT.

Any thoughts from those who (like me) will not be paying for fantasy advice?

Liked that column.  That said, he’s insufferably arrogant and physically incapable of admitting error.  Wish him well, but frankly there are far better analysts out there.  He seemed far more interested in bashing the Giants organization on Twitter on a daily basis than doing actual analysis.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

His columns were just one tool in the toolbag. I personally didn't find his columns all that helpful and his bias far too often leaked into just about everything he wrote.

• Like 4

I get most of my info from the Roto Forum and a bit from Football Guys.  I get breaking news from Twitter and discern the information from what I think it means.

Large majority of research comes from Roto Forum though.  I have about 10 of you pegged as decent opinions and about 50 of yall as dumb takes.

So yeah, thanks Roto Forum 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I get most of my info from the Roto Forum and a bit from Football Guys.  I get breaking news from Twitter and discern the information from what I think it means.

Large majority of research comes from Roto Forum though.  I have about 10 of you pegged as decent opinions and about 50 of yall as dumb takes.

So yeah, thanks Roto Forum 😁

don’t want to ask where i fall 👀

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

don’t want to ask where i fall 👀

I'm securely in the group of 50. Lol. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

about 50 of yall as dumb takes

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Silva had it made. Got into Rotoworld early and could have easily just coasted for a long time

I obviously wish him the best, but who in their right mind is paying $200 dollars for his insight plus some other random analyst insight. Pretty sad he is just hiding behind paywall and leaving the podcast, the main reason I liked him is because he offered his info for free. At the end of day Rotoworld will just find someone new to do the exact same thing as him and he will more than likely be forgotten

• Like 7

Him and all the other analysts throw out hundreds of predictions every year and gloat about the hits. I wouldn’t pay for whoever Evan silver is or anyone else really. All you really need are the facts and make your own conclusion. 

These forums are good for the facts, you can filter out a lot of the opinions though lol

• Haha 1

I think if you put $10 into Fanduel or maybe draft kings, you'd get the Rotoworld draft guide for free, so I'd do that in year's past, but that's it as far as anything but league fees. I use the Rotoworld app for breaking news, and that's helped signing players when an injury happens during the week, or a sudden suspension, etc, so that's helpful, and waiver-wire columns are a must. (leagues are won on the waiver wire, as I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on that.) Overall I try not to use any advice - especially rankings - for lineup decisions, and really get more info out of scrolling through this board. (not the asst coach forum - what a disaster that is.) As far as Silva, he would fall in love with a player in August, then refuse to give in when it was clear that player wasn't happening to the extent of his preseason rankings. (remember David Wilson of the Giants?) He was far too stubborn there. His matchup column was very thorough, but ultimately came across as coin flips after reviewing in hindsight. Still, the guy was better than most (what about poor Jamie Eisenberg at Sportsline; every time he picked a "Player of the Week," the guy would crap the bed, and he looked so beleaguered on the CBS videos every week. And Matthew Berry? Please.) I'm sure Rotoworld won't miss a beat with Silva leaving, and we as seasoned fantasy players know what to look for regardless of "expert" advice. Good luck to him, but whoever's paying for his service is a fool.  

There is way too much content out there from other analysts that is either free or significantly less money. Nobody's special enough to charge $200 for fantasy football advice.

$200 a year! These guys are out of their minds. I bet they'll end up dropping that to $99 when only a dozen or so people sign up this summer.

19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

$200 a year! These guys are out of their minds. I bet they'll end up dropping that to $99 when only a dozen or so people sign up this summer.

You mean $9.90.

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

You mean $9.90.

I'd probably subscribe at that price to be honest.

• Like 1