Sign in to follow this  
dbacksfan414

Who should I upgrade? (dynasty league, going for it)

Warning... long post.

Hey, all. I am looking to go for it in my main dynasty league. It is a 12 team H2H league with the standard 5x5 cats plus walks, OPS, holds and quality starts. Four teams make the playoffs. I am currently in second place... 13 games behind first. I am 14.5 games ahead of 5th.

C- Ramos
1B- Abreu
2B- Gennett
3B- Suarez
SS- Polanco
CI- LeMahieu
MI- Andrus
OF- Trout
OF- J.D. Martinez
OF- Benintendi
OF- Soler
OF- Merrifield
UT- C. Seager

P- Yates
P- G. Holland
P- Robles
P- Kahnle
P- Rogers
P- Kimbrel
P- Pagan
P- Buehler
P- Sale
P- Greinke

BN- Bruce, Morton, Keuchel, Maeda, Cashner, Bumgarner, Happ
IL- Peralta, G. Gonzalez

Outside of Gavin Lux, my taxi squad is terrible. I noticed that I am hovering around .500 in the offensive counting stats. I just don't know who I have that would interest a team near the bottom without hurting my chances for this year. I want to make a big trade, but I think I'd have to give up Lux to have any chance of landing a big fish. And I kinda don't want to do that... I also have (if the season ended today) the 11th pick and the 18th pick in the prospect draft (and a late 3rd as well).

Once Peralta comes back (hopefully next week or so), I could move him to my outfield, move Merrifield to second and bench Gennett (who hasn't been playing every day).

Realistically, 11th and 12th are completely done. 9th and 10th are still breathing in my opinion, but barely. But I feel like none of the bats from the bottom four are even available except Michael Brantley and Khris Davis. Some of the bigger names among those four teams are Eduardo Escobar, Ketel Marte, Nolan Arenado, Eddie Rosario and Trea Turner. The only one from the second list that I could see being moved is Escobar.

Another thing I could do is go for a high end starting pitcher. I've been winning the pitching stats almost every week except holds. Winning 6 of the 7 pitching stats would only require me to win 2 hitting stats. I've been winning average and OPS almost every week, but I'm losing the counting stats about half the time.

deGrom is probably the only high end starter that may be available. Bauer and Nola are probably unavailable.

I'd appreciate any trade ideas.

Soler I don't see any long term value, Gennett is also on and off. deGrom might be a good snag, I would also look at some young prospect who are flying under the radar.... Bo might be a decent stash if his numbers are consistent. 

But if you're in second place... you must be doing SOMETHING right? I wouldn't mix up too much. 

Only positions I would look to acquire are 1b or 3b, not because Suarez or Abreu are bad but because they are pretty streaky for a contending team and I worry about regression for DJ (and depth is always good). I would flip Benintendi for someone at these positions as soon as he gets hit. Do not believe in him long term at all

8 hours ago, stillwater said:

Soler I don't see any long term value, Gennett is also on and off. deGrom might be a good snag, I would also look at some young prospect who are flying under the radar.... Bo might be a decent stash if his numbers are consistent. 

But if you're in second place... you must be doing SOMETHING right? I wouldn't mix up too much. 

Bichette is on a taxi squad, unfortunately. Yeah, I don't see any long term value in Soler, either... but I don't think he has much value to a rebuilding team. He's been a good two category guy this year, and his OPS has been decent too.

3 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Only positions I would look to acquire are 1b or 3b, not because Suarez or Abreu are bad but because they are pretty streaky for a contending team and I worry about regression for DJ (and depth is always good). I would flip Benintendi for someone at these positions as soon as he gets hit. Do not believe in him long term at all

I'm hoping for a trade in real life for Abreu. Yeah, LeMahieu regressing to the mean (granted, he'll still be a really good asset) worries me a little. Just curious... why don't you believe in Benintendi?

Just now, dbacksfan414 said:

I'm hoping for a trade in real life for Abreu. Yeah, LeMahieu regressing to the mean (granted, he'll still be a really good asset) worries me a little. Just curious... why don't you believe in Benintendi?

Thought he was pretty streaky last year and has been pretty much pumped up by his status as a high profile prospect for a big market team.

I did not see how a 15-20 HR and SB guy with a 280 avg was worth the hype he was getting preseason. His statcast this year is bad enough that I can't just look past the struggles.

If he has a 2018 Yelich or 2016 Mookie type power surge, he has 5 category upside but if he could not do it this year when all the balls were flying, I do not think he will ever do it.

He is in a good situation with top level pedigree but nothing he has done in his career screams future star to me and many still value him that way, especially if he can get hot for a bit.

13 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Thought he was pretty streaky last year and has been pretty much pumped up by his status as a high profile prospect for a big market team.

I did not see how a 15-20 HR and SB guy with a 280 avg was worth the hype he was getting preseason. His statcast this year is bad enough that I can't just look past the struggles.

If he has a 2018 Yelich or 2016 Mookie type power surge, he has 5 category upside but if he could not do it this year when all the balls were flying, I do not think he will ever do it.

He is in a good situation with top level pedigree but nothing he has done in his career screams future star to me and many still value him that way, especially if he can get hot for a bit.

That's fair.

I just don't know if there's a match for a trade with a bottom team that would upgrade my offense should I trade Benintendi. The lineup spot (usually 5th), ballpark, lineup around him and his youth makes me hesitant to move him, but he's been kinda meh this year.

Do you think going after deGrom and trying to win W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, QS, AVG and OPS every week is a wise move? I've been about 50/50 in terms of R, RBI and HR.

46 minutes ago, dbacksfan414 said:

That's fair.

I just don't know if there's a match for a trade with a bottom team that would upgrade my offense should I trade Benintendi. The lineup spot (usually 5th), ballpark, lineup around him and his youth makes me hesitant to move him, but he's been kinda meh this year.

Do you think going after deGrom and trying to win W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, QS, AVG and OPS every week is a wise move? I've been about 50/50 in terms of R, RBI and HR.

I would not unless you can get him for really good value. I really think your pitching is pretty elite already. When Sale bounces back, you will win those categories anyways

I ended up trading Kyle Wright and a throw in for Edwin Encarnacion. I hope Edwin heats up. He's moved up in the batting order the last few days.