AirForceOne

Rob Gronkowski 2019 Outlook

Retiring at age 30, there's a lot of reason to think Gronk will make a comeback at some point this season. Rumors are that he's lost weight, but continues to train using lower-impact methods and has been seen throwing it around with Brady in the offseason. If guys like Antonio Gates, Jason Witten and Tony Gonzalez can still "play" at age 37-40, is it unreasonable to think Gronk will make a comeback after training camp or possibly mid-season? 

Just curious if anyone is taking the gamble on Gronk late in your draft?
Seems like a nice lottery ticket for a TE1 if he changes his mind. 

Oh I'm taking the gamble, I picked him off waivers after one of my early drafts. I think he's the type that will sneak attack a return for one more run or two. 

He is gonna play IMO. But he wasnt very fantasy relevant last year. Dont see it changing.

3 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

He is gonna play IMO. But he wasnt very fantasy relevant last year. Dont see it changing.

Yea, I can see that. Although last year could've been an anomaly. If they get Harry going with Edelman, that could open things back up decently. 

I'd rather simply be on the side that grabs him at some point incase he plays than passing completely. 

These comeback rumors are not making me very happy. Why can't the Patriots just dissolve already?
That said, I can think of a ton of guys that would be a worse late pick than Gronk.

1 hour ago, hooliganz said:

These comeback rumors are not making me very happy. Why can't the Patriots just dissolve already?

You didn't know? BB and Brady both made a pact with the Devil. Isn't that obvious? 

3 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

I took the “gamble” on gronk last year lol. Turned out amazing

You mean because you hate the Pats? He wasn't exactly reliable last year.

4 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Yea, I can see that. Although last year could've been an anomaly. If they get Harry going with Edelman, that could open things back up decently. 

I'd rather simply be on the side that grabs him at some point incase he plays than passing completely. 

The Pats are gonna run a ton this year. Gronk would be blocking mostly IMO. Worth a flyer for sure because of position though

5 hours ago, bomont said:

You didn't know? BB and Brady both made a pact with the Devil. Isn't that obvious? 

You mean because you hate the Pats? He wasn't exactly reliable last year.

No, that was sarcasm lol. If he sucked last year, why would anyone waste a pick on him now that he’s retired and lost a lot of muscle? 

But yes, I do hate the pats. Try to be unbiased and pick gronk despite that and look where it got me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

No, that was sarcasm lol. If he sucked last year, why would anyone waste a pick on him now that he’s retired and lost a lot of muscle?

Well because TE is a cesspool and he is the GOAT. 

• Haha 1

He was pretty bad in fantasy last year. He will be pretty bad in fantasy again if he unretires and plays this year.

• Like 1

Gronk wasn't worth having on your roster last season. He wouldn't be this season either if he returns.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Gronk wasn't worth having on your roster last season. He wouldn't be this season either if he returns.

In my league, he was the #7 overall TE despite missing 3 games (not counting week 16).
He outscored guys like Evan Engram, Delanie Walker, Tyler Eifert, Jack Doyle, Kyle Rudolph... and had a higher per-game average than Austin Hooper, Vance McDonald, Jordan Reed, David Njoku, Jimmy Graham and Trey Burton.

The TE position has fallen on hard times, but I don't think there's a doubt that if Gronk returns he'd be an immediate TE1 in this scrap heap. 

1 hour ago, devaster said:

6 team league?

Personally I don't think TEs are as bad as they were in the old days when you were basically looking at Gates or Gman. You have Gronk or had Gronk I should say, Kelce, Ertz, kittle as your 4 studs. But then you have Ebron who has turned a corner, Jared Cook who can put up some numbers, walker when healthy can do some dmg, Rudolph who is always on the cusp of being a stud, olsen was going strong for awhile as well, and then newcomers like Hockenson etc... 

I think TE is at a decent spot overall honestly. Alot of good grabs and alot of guys that are more than serviceable 

7 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Personally I don't think TEs are as bad as they were in the old days  

I think they're about the same as they've always been or so it seems.  Two or three top guys, a handful of middling "pretty good" guys with hopeful upside, and a bunch of 400/4 ish kinda junk.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, bomont said:

I think they're about the same as they've always been or so it seems.  Two or three top guys, a handful of middling "pretty good" guys with hopeful upside, and a bunch of 400/4 ish kinda junk.

Yea, perhaps... I don't remember completely since I've been playing since about 99 so it all gets bunched together. But I just remember you either get gates or Tony, or you are lookin at 3 to 4 pts with everyone else. 

I am a big fan of drafting stud TEs, I think they're a difference maker having that type of production from a spot that isn't that strong. However I look at the TEs this year and there are a ton id be overall happy with and I can't say that for all previous years.

Edited by Savatage79

Agree, there are more of those mid-tier kind of guys with a legit upside this year than I recall for some time. That's why I've sort of cooled on Kelce and totally cooled on Kittle and Ertz. Not because they wouldn't be great to have, but not worth the cost.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Personally I don't think TEs are as bad as they were in the old days when you were basically looking at Gates or Gman. You have Gronk or had Gronk I should say, Kelce, Ertz, kittle as your 4 studs. But then you have Ebron who has turned a corner, Jared Cook who can put up some numbers, walker when healthy can do some dmg, Rudolph who is always on the cusp of being a stud, olsen was going strong for awhile as well, and then newcomers like Hockenson etc... 

I think TE is at a decent spot overall honestly. Alot of good grabs and alot of guys that are more than serviceable

Plus O.J. Howard, Hunter Henry, Hooper, maybe Eifert doesn't get hurt, maybe Gisicki does something, Vance, Herndon, Njoku, etc.  Lots of options.

With Gronk, my feeling is that I'll let someone else waste a roster spot on a guy who's heart probably isn't in it anymore (he's already retired and lost muscle).  Even if he does come back, is he going to put up Gronk-in-his-prime numbers?  No way; probably a lot closer to last year's numbers.  And that's if he comes back at all, which I'd give no more than a 40% chance.

Gronk would probably benefit greatly from an entire year off rather than just an extended summer.

I'm generally risk averse though.  I usually avoid guys with serious questions marks.  Gordon, Hunt (dumped him in dynasty last year after the news broke), Lev Bell (DND last year).  I think that's generally worked out well.  These problem players are often nothing but a headache.  There are usually lots of other options.

Edited by Dream On

Is anyone heard anything of late? I stashed him I'm my 14 team league, but thinking I might have to make room for some other stashes

Don't think he is worth it on speculation.  He was slow last year, his numbers were better because he was on the patriots with Brady, plus he looks like he lost 40 pounds of muscle.  Not worth stashing IMO.  But if you play in a league with me, please go ahead and draft him early.  

55 minutes ago, mortman212 said:

Don't think he is worth it on speculation.  He was slow last year, his numbers were better because he was on the patriots with Brady, plus he looks like he lost 40 pounds of muscle.  Not worth stashing IMO.  But if you play in a league with me, please go ahead and draft him early.  

He's lost 18 pounds, not 40. 

I've grabbed him with my last 18th round pick in a few best balls, but I think in a season long league it would be hard to hold on to him.  Essentially you're holding an injured/suspended player without having any timeline of coming back.  Maybe if your season long league has really deep benches.

Gronk seems really sensible, fiscally responsible, has a smoking swimsuit girlfriend, and most importantly has his health.  Seems like he should move on to making babies and perhaps have a youth football camp for the Boston kids (if he doesn't already).  Look at Jordan Reed.  The dude looks old to begin with and now he's probably looking at his 7th documented concussion.  Surely Reed will have issues in the future with his brain.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Surely Reed will have issues in the future with his brain.

Sign him up for the Rotoworld forums!

• Haha 2