Sign in to follow this  
walker834

Mahomes at 4?

3 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Well that is definitely a stretch for the league itself tho, I mean I get that some leagues will let QBs sit a bit but damn even a month ago or so Mahomes is the hottest qb in the draft, hard to understand how anyone let's him just sit til the 5th but in any case good on you for being able to land him

Certainly isn't the norm, I concur.  Which is why that is my only share of him in any of my season-long leagues.

But I routinely take or CAN take Watson, Luck, or Rodgers in the 5th+ round in probably 90%+ of my drafts.  I don't always take them as I have a certain group of players I will always take over them.  But I own an elite 5th+ round qb in over a dozen season long leagues thus far.

I have a few leagues where I was talked into taking Kelce in the late 1st/early 2nd round.  those are my least fave teams to date.  I think it just makes sense to to construct your team differently.

3 minutes ago, FantasyDominion said:

6th round luck team:

Luck

Michael Thomas

Hopkins

Fournette

Kerryon

Howard

Carson

Lutz

LAC

Bench:

MVS

Penny

Allison

Harris

D Miller

Dede

Justin Jackson

I have several other Rodger, Luck, Watson teams in the 5th-8th round.  I just don't see in a 10 teamer why taking a qb before then makes any sense.  Especially Mahomes.  I'd much rather wait a round or two and take one of the remaining "elite" qbs.

Oh I agree, but normally there's always that cat that wants him in round 1 2 or 3 is all, least from all the mocks and leagues im in etc. 

Just now, Savatage79 said:

Oh I agree, but normally there's always that cat that wants him in round 1 2 or 3 is all, least from all the mocks and leagues im in etc. 

Sure a handful of people like that in my leagues (seen him go 1st overall for some unknown reason).  But what I'm finding is that the vast majority of the time he is going in the late 3rd/4th round range.  All my leagues are 10 teamers though but they're all paid leagues drafted from June 1st through present.

It's a real team and people are calling me a liar at this point.  This team will be fine too as I sub guys in and injuries and all that.  I did draft another team yesterday just for fun I ended with the same pick 4th pick.  Really how the draft fell I was planning on going another direction but who was there I just again took who I thought was the best player.  I was a little more patient this time around because I already got mahomes but my team ended up looking the same.  Just a little more patient.

QB-Mahomes

WR-Edelman

WR-MIke Williams

RB-Kamara

RB-Aaron Jones

TE-Kittle 

Flex-Michel

K-Fairbairn

D-Chicago

B-Allen Robinson II

B-Guice

B-Brady

B-Peterson

B-Tate

B-Gallup

1. Kamara

2. Mahomes

3. Kittle

4. Aaron Jones

5. Edelman

6. Michel

7. Chicago

8. Mike Williams

9. Allen Robinson II

10. Guice

11. Fairbaire

12. BRady

13. Peterson

14. Tate

15. Gallup

Posted (edited)

The fact is I trust my drafting more than most because I know what I'm doing so I'm not overly worried about it.  AJ green is already hurt too but players will step up.  Even in my 2nd draft I was drafting and it's not like I'm falling for junk.  I'm taking good players. That's really the thign too I'm weighing if I wait a bit more or take someone who is rated higher or lower who I'm not that high on as far as what's real and what isn't.  Where some players will probably get hurt and not do well but I have enough where it won't matter.  I basically did the same thing in my 2nd draft and have more running back depth and may have drafted smarter as far as receivers who knows.  It's pretty equal.  I was deciding between Kamara or Hopkins at 4 this time.  Elliott, Barkley and McCaffrey went 1, 2, 3.  Was deciding between Mahomes or Ju Ju or Antonio BRown in the 2nd round. Or waiting.  I ended up with Mahomes and Edelman then got Mike Williams and Allen Robinson II.  It could have been Ju JU and Luck.  So whatever.

Edited by walker834

a draft strategy that prioritizes taking elite QB, TE and DEF with the first 6 / 7 picks in a 10 team league is very questionable. 

when you take either a QB or a TE early, you do so accepting your going to take a hit at either the RB or WR position, so you find reasonable options rounds 6-8 and hope to upgrade the position via the WW. When you take both a QB and a TE early, your seriously compromising one if the RB or WR positions, or both. Consider taking a QB or a TE in the first 5 rounds as a luxury and you accept your RBs or WRs will be your Achilles heel.

maybe you should play in leagues that start 2 QB's / superflex. Mahomed at #4 would be great

Posted (edited)

The thing is though I can do a draft where I take 2 rb's 2 receivers firs t4 rounds and I probably will.  And then go quarterback in the 5th or wait even longer.  Wait until the 10th nad target Jackson or whoever.  It's not always as cut and dry as far as which team ends up better.   If you draft good you draft good players that's really what matters the most and I find usually if I take and prioritize players I like certain years it works out.

Fantasy football becomes too soulless that way.  I'd rather build a team and in general fantasy football is just too easy because it's really about who gets the best player with the best team  And really Mahomes may end up being that.

Edited by walker834

Your second team is definitely better. You can wait until the second or third to last round to pick a defense. Don’t pick them that early.

33 minutes ago, walker834 said:

The fact is I trust my drafting more than most because I know what I'm doing so I'm not overly worried about it. 

4 minutes ago, walker834 said:

in general fantasy football is just too easy 

Bruh......

Posted (edited)

YOu took that like an ego thing when that's not what I said at all.  Just I trust how I draft. You missed what I was saying there and the fact people even took it that way.  Nothing wrong with trusting yourself and your own intelligence.  Also people overcomplicate this stuff where I was just making a point that it really is too easy in ways because it's about targetting the best player and if that players gets hurt or whatever..  How you twisted what I was saying isn't what I said at all.  This is why I don't like the internet.  There is no tone and people have issues between mature discussion and thinking people are being cocky and twisting words.  Not everyone is an a**hole out there and says a lot of people when they think that.  It happens to me all the time on the internet when that is not what was said.  I shouldn't even have to respond to that but did because I'm nice like that.  BEcause really.  People do that all the time then I get blamed for it when it's not even what I said. 

Edited by walker834

defenses and kickers you can stream! don't worry about the "elite", best defenses its a crapshoot and kickers the weekly average between best and 10th best is 1 point!

2 hours ago, walker834 said:

This is why I don't like the internet.  There is no tone and people have issues between mature discussion and thinking people are being cocky and twisting words.  Not everyone is an a**hole out there and says a lot of people when they think that.  It happens to me all the time on the internet when that is not what was said.  I shouldn't even have to respond to that but did because I'm nice like that.  BEcause really.  People do that all the time then I get blamed for it when it's not even what I said. 

I'm sure you're a nice guy. But from this thread you also come across as someone who doesn't listen too well to comments or criticism.

Don't react to that immediately; think about it and take it for what it's worth.

Good luck! And come back here in 5 months to show you won the league.

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2019 at 12:20 PM, walker834 said:

I think I have the better team.  he has more running backs than me.  He has a backup tight end and 5 running backs and 4 receivers.  I have 5 receivers and 3 running backs.  Depth doesn't mean much though.  Maybe it's me but I think getting a top tight end is  paramount.

With that AJ Green injury...Depth sounds good right about now....

skimming through this thread..it sounds like OP is really confident, happy, and trusts his draft results. Ironically, if OP is not going to listen to what other members' opinions are...what's the point of posting starting this thread in the first place unless it is to troll others?...oh shoot...you got me....dang it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, larfboy said:

With that AJ Green injury...Depth sounds good right about now....

skimming through this thread..it sounds like OP is really confident, happy, and trusts his draft results. Ironically, if OP is not going to listen to what other members' opinions are...what's the point of posting starting this thread in the first place unless it is to troll others?...oh shoot...you got me....dang it 

What gets me is that OP said he’s been playing a long time but still picks defense and kicker and qb waaay too early.

It must be a longtime friends league between casuals 

Posted (edited)

I mean I would not even draft Mahomes in the first two rounds. I'd wait till Round 3 and possibly 4 to pull the trigger if he is still available. Surely, this season his numbers will go down a bit just about everywhere. Last season was not a aberration or a fluke, but the odds of it being repeated this year is slim to none. Obviously he is still the QB 1 and will finish as the QB 1, but the reason last season his owners won their leagues were because he was the QB 9 - 12 in most drafts. If it meant I ended up with McCaffrey or Hopkins or Kamara instead and I could still have ended up with Mahomes later or ended up with someone like Watson who will finally be at full health and with Fuller back I would be pretty angry at my self and not still trying to defend my opinion. Now that you know you could have waited longer on Mahomes for the future I am sure your drafts will be better and you will be more patient. I'm curious to know what round did the 2nd QB (hopefully Watson or Luck) go for in your 1st draft? I'm assuming between 4th and 6th. All in all, good luck this season. I hope you prove me and everyone else wrong, and pull out with a win. I will come back here towards the end of the season and I hope for an update. :) Note: I did not read the previous 4 pages. Only the 1st post.

Edited by tobeyreichman18
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I'm sure you're a nice guy. But from this thread you also come across as someone who doesn't listen too well to comments or criticism.

Don't react to that immediately; think about it and take it for what it's worth.

Good luck! And come back here in 5 months to show you won the league.

you seem to doubt his strategy.  He takes good players and thats all he needs to do.  If he doesn't take Mahomes there he would have to take someone who isn't the best QB and Mahomes will give him lots of options.   Most of the bench guys will never play unless injury.   It's easy and he doesn't need to put much thought into it.  People always look at his teams and don't like them but he always does good.  Sure you could not take Mahomes there but he got Conner and Conner is real good.  And hes got a good tight end also.  Look at his starters.  Also he said players will step up.  

Something like that anyway.

Edited by K197040

Posted (edited)

I'm ready to start the season.  I got 3 teams this year more than usual.  I  think the 1st one I drafted is pretty good although maybe not as strong with AJ Green going down.  I dropped Roethlisberger for Ballage.   My 2nd team is a monster.  3rd team is loaded too.  The first one is more just competitive and I can play some other players.  I think I took Mahomes a round too high but first draft and Barkley, Elliott and Kamara were off the board.  I think I'd make that pick again.  AJ was a reach in the 4th now though.   Just bumping because I think my strategy is pretty good.

Team A - Mahomes 1st round

QB-Mahomes

WR-Godwin

WR-Landry

RB-Conner

RB-Michel

TE-Kittle

Flex-Guice

K-Goskowski

D-Chicago/Dallas

B-Ballage

B-Aj Green

B-Brady

B-Sutton

B-Gallup

Team B - Mahomes 2nd round

QB-Mahomes

WR-Edelman

WR-Mike Williams

RB-Kamara

RB-Aaron Jones

TE-Kittle

Flex-Michel

D-Chicago

K-Fairbarne

B-Allen Robinson II

B-Guice

B-Brady

B-Gallup

B-Peterson

B-Ballage

Team C- QB 5th round

QB-Watson

WR-Michael Thomas

WR-Edelman

RB-Elliott

RB-Fournette

TE-Kittle

Flex-Montgomery

K-Fairbarne

D-Minnesota

B-AJ Green

B-Kenyon Drake

B-Brady

B-Sutton

B-Lamar Jackson

B-N'keal Harry

Edited by walker834

Posted (edited)

I drafted another team for good measure too.  I went Mahomes crazy lol and one Watson and different defense.  At least I didn't draft Andrew Luck.  I think I really like this team although was hoping for a better tight end.  Ebron might do work though.  Weird thing and just a coincidence I got the 4th pick in every draft on all 4 teams.  I may have had  the 3rd in 1.  I think the 3rd team where I picked Elliott I had the 3rd pick and should ahve taken Kamara again.  I didn't think I'd get another shot at Elliott.  I guess 1st round is a bit high for Mahomes.  2nd round though.

QB-Mahomes

WR-Antonio Brown

WR-Amari Cooper

RB-Elliott

RB-Michel

TE-Ebron

Flex-Lindsay

K-Gostkowski

D-Bears

B-James White

B-Tom Brady

B-Dante Pettis