Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

7/20 - GAME DAY THREAD

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

People in here put about 10 times as much stock into K:BB rate as they should. There are a ton of fantasy superstars that strike out a lot, or guys that used to strike out a lot that have lowered their rates. Look at Bellinger.

Joey Gallo was abysmal with it last year, dude has made vast improvements. Matt Olson is another basher who appears to be becoming a better overall hitter. Cody last year was all over the map and now he's a stud. This is just 3 examples. The history of baseball suggests the 2nd or 3rd year version of a player is almost always better than the first year version, though exceptions exist for the one hit wonders. Many in here see a couple bad games and it's "off with their heads". Good fantasy owners prey on people like this. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Didn't mean to imply that guys can't improve.  Just impressed with how radically Story has changed for the better.  Typically, it's one of the toughest aspects of a hitters game to change.

Of course guys can K a lot and still be fantasy studs.  That said, I still look at that as a leading indicator of several categories.

Just a random comment based on seeing Storys line today.  Not an overarching comment of fantasy evaluations.

Edited by treat88
  • Like 1

Just now, treat88 said:

Didn't mean to imply that guys can't improve.  Just impressed with how radically Story has changed for the better.  Typically, it's one of the toughest aspects of a hitters game to change.

Of course guys can K a lot and still be fantasy studs.  That said, I still look at that as a leading indicator of several categories.

I know treat, all good. I just "used" your post to make a point in which I was salty about. LOL. You're cool. 

Shout out to Pete Alonso with a pinch hit blast.  I love seeing 3 run shots on my bench, especially when I’m in a tight battle for offense this week.  

5 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Shout out to Pete Alonso with a pinch hit blast.  I love seeing 3 run shots on my bench, especially when I’m in a tight battle for offense this week.  

This was my reaction just a few minutes ago (obviously also on my bench)

29185-really-dog.jpg

Yes Nothing sucks more then seeing your guy not in the starting line up so you bench him then he goes in and blasts a 3 run homer.

Members Only 76 guy Acuna with a infield hit and a stolen base. I believe Acuna is now a member of the 20/20 club. Congrats Members Only. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Members Only 76 guy Acuna with a infield hit and a stolen base. I believe Acuna is now a member of the 20/20 club. Congrats Members Only. 

Stud! What a joy to watch. 

Way to shift on a guy who hits plenty to the opposite field.  Soto hits a routine grounder to SS that goes through because the Braves shifted.

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Stud! What a joy to watch. 

Yes and the Braves are the fun bunch. I admire Freddie I like when they show his son Charlie in the crowd. Dad seems to play better when Charlie in the house. As I type this Freddie flashes the leather. No sign of Charlie yet. 

The Indians' performance tonight so far against Junis is embarrassing.  I guess they forgot that Junis sucks...

7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Way to shift on a guy who hits plenty to the opposite field.  Soto hits a routine grounder to SS that goes through because the Braves shifted.

The shift should never be a thing.  Everyone should always bunt 100% of the time to the open side of the field.  Baffles my brain seeing a guy hit into a shift over and over and over. Like he just wastes his at bats. The Old saying from a story about Wee Willie Keller by Robert Ruark is called "hit um where they ain't"  They shift you, bunt to the open spot every single time, every single player and then the shift will no longer be a thing.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

The shift should never be a thing.  Everyone should always bunt 100% of the time to the open side of the field.  Baffles my brain seeing a guy hit into a shift over and over and over. Like he just wastes his at bats. The Old saying from a story about Wee Willie Keller by Robert Ruark is called "hit um where they ain't"  They shift you, bunt to the open spot every single time, every single player and then the shift will no longer be a thing.

I agree completely.  Sadly, there are a lot of players that can't bunt to save their lives.  Some would surprise you.  Jose Ramirez, who has plenty of speed, tried to do that to beat the shift early on in the season and it was like I was watching somebody in Little League up there trying to bunt.  I'm not exaggerating.  Just using him as an example obviously.

Some players/teams do succeed in beating the shift from time to time, but say Bryce Harper goes up there and bunts every AB.  Technically the shift works then because then a player such as him will never have a chance to hit a HR or any form of XBH.

Still, I can't stand the shift whether it works at times or not.  Probably a discussion for somewhere other than the Game Day thread though.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

It's moments like that where you wish Ender Inciarte was in LF.  Riley jumps up to try to rob Adams of a ball that just made it over the wall.  Unfortunately it was to the right of him.

Anyone see giolito pitch today? The line is very good but I am more curious about whether he looked like an ace again. 

12 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I agree completely.  Sadly, there are a lot of players that can't bunt to save their lives.  Some would surprise you.  Jose Ramirez, who has plenty of speed, tried to do that to beat the shift early on in the season and it was like I was watching somebody in Little League up there trying to bunt.  I'm not exaggerating.  Just using him as an example obviously.

Some players/teams do succeed in beating the shift from time to time, but say Bryce Harper goes up there and bunts every AB.  Technically the shift works then because then a player such as him will never have a chance to hit a HR or any form of XBH.

Still, I can't stand the shift whether it works at times or not.  Probably a discussion for somewhere other than the Game Day thread though.

Because they never practice bunting now or defense for that matter Its all Hrs or nothing. Back when I played 70s and 80s every team I ever played on. at batting practice we got about 15 pitches Per player 1st 5 pitches we all had to lay down bunts, then we got 10 to swing away on.

Now Soroka is trying to do his best Tanaka impression.  I'm seriously about ready to throw my TV's remote and my laptop out the window.  Not going to, but WTF!?

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Now Soroka is trying to do his best Tanaka impression.  I'm seriously about ready to throw my TV's remote and my laptop out the window.  Not going to, but WTF!?

I am so used to the daily beatings my pitchers take that It don't even upset me anymore when they give up a 3 run jack. And when I do get a Pitcher to pitch well which is pretty rare. His team can't score any runs for him and I still take a L -5 points. Luis Castillo is a example of this today.

Urquidy really impressive so far did not expect him to be this hood, went with Yarbrough today because hes been on fire and had the better matchup. Yabrough actually got pulled with 75 pitches in 6 innings in a a shutout..