Sign in to follow this  
dudewithabadcat

Rex Burkhead 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, Broncos132 said:

I'm definitely putting a claim in. He's worth a roster spot in 12+ team leagues, even in a crowded backfield.

I’m surprised he’s on any waiver wires in 12 team leagues. I wish he was available in some of mine lol.

think hes tied to white? sitting around on 12 team waivers but feel like if white is back (even if sony stinks lately), he might not have too many touches.. only 1 ball to play with

1 minute ago, floppy said:

think hes tied to white? sitting around on 12 team waivers but feel like if white is back (even if sony stinks lately), he might not have too many touches.. only 1 ball to play with

No one is replacing White.  He will always be there pass catching RB who can line up out wide, in the slot or out of the backfield.

If anything, Rex is starting to overtake Michel's role.  Rex is their most versatile RB and he is getting it done.  Guy can play any down and is starting to get more work than Michel.

• Like 1

I'm holding White/Burkhead for now, if either one of them goes down, the other becomes a set it and forget it RB2.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

No one is replacing White.  He will always be there pass catching RB who can line up out wide, in the slot or out of the backfield.

If anything, Rex is starting to overtake Michel's role.  Rex is their most versatile RB and he is getting it done.  Guy can play any down and is starting to get more work than Michel.

This.  If Michel was on any other team, fantasy owners would have cut him a long time ago. He's been abysmal and ineffective.  Burkhead has been able to run well, and he's also active in the passing game.  Develin going to IR only helps Burkhead.  I believe he was on the field a lot in 2 RB sets with Michel.  The Hoodie doesn't play favorites.  Once he realizes what all the Michel owners already know - that he stinks - he'll give Rex even more PT.  The rookie I think was active but didn't play in the game last week either.  Arrow pointing up for Sexy Rexy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Any insight as to why Michel is fading? Is it the arthritis thing we’ve heard about from time to time already catching up with him the way it seems to be catching up to Gurley?

21 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Any insight as to why Michel is fading? Is it the arthritis thing we’ve heard about from time to time already catching up with him the way it seems to be catching up to Gurley?

I am not entirely sure - I am a little surprised since he looked explosive during that one preseason game where they gave him a bunch of carries.

I think it is a mix of poor play on his part but also injuries to the O-line and play calling.  Quite frankly, the Pats show their hand when he is in the game.  The defense can pretty much play for the run when they see him in the backfield.  This does make their play action pass game deadly but does nothing for his numbers.  If they would actually call some pass plays for him, this would make him less predictable.

Rex is able to be effective as a runner because the defense also needs to defend the pass with him so there looks to be a bit more spacing for him.

But still, Michel isn't doing himself any favors with his play.  No burst and he hasn't logged a broken tackle yet this season.  Just zero elusiveness from him thus far.

• Thanks 1

So, does Burkhead have any value in a 10 team .5PPR or 12-team PPR while James White is around? That's all I need to know. 

18 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

From the Michel thread...Its a good read and might help explain why Michel 'sucks'....also might put a bit of a damper on the Rex hype...

That reddit thread basically is saying what we've always known... the Hoodie has specific game plans for opponents and game situations.  Sony basically gets the ball when teams are expecting the run.  From that thread...

"So what you need to do is start Sony Michel against bad run defenses and start James White in games where the Pats need to throw or put them on your bench and shut your pie hole. After reading this you probably want to trade Michel and I'm telling you that you should, if you can, but watch a full game and see how this offense works and tell me that Michel isn't doing his job. You just misinterpreted what his job was."

I don't care if Sony is doing "his job".  What's important is that "his job" hasn't led to fantasy success.  Rex seems to have the Hoodie's trust, he was over 70% snaps last week.  He's a great bench player to have and to see if he will develop into something more.

4 minutes ago, The G Man said:

So, does Burkhead have any value in a 10 team .5PPR or 12-team PPR while James White is around? That's all I need to know. 

I think he will still be sprinkled in here and there, and wouldn't be surprised if he's in around the goal line. 

Just now, CooL said:

That reddit thread basically is saying what we've always known... the Hoodie has specific game plans for opponents and game situations.  Sony basically gets the ball when teams are expecting the run.  From that thread...

"So what you need to do is start Sony Michel against bad run defenses and start James White in games where the Pats need to throw or put them on your bench and shut your pie hole. After reading this you probably want to trade Michel and I'm telling you that you should, if you can, but watch a full game and see how this offense works and tell me that Michel isn't doing his job. You just misinterpreted what his job was."

I don't care if Sony is doing "his job".  What's important is that "his job" hasn't led to fantasy success.  Rex seems to have the Hoodie's trust, he was over 70% snaps last week.  He's a great bench player to have and to see if he will develop into something more.

Because White was out...

54 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Yes, combination of factors:

1. The offensive line has taken a serious injury hit. 

2. Loss of J. Develin is huge. Combined with 1. above, NE can't really do what they like to do best and during their super bowl run: Go 21 personnel with Develin as a blocker. This was a physical style of smashmouth football and S. Michel benefited most.

3. S. Michel telegraphs run when he is in the game. That worked last year. Now with 1. and 2. above he's running into a wall.

4. With Burkhead in the backfield, NE doesn't telegraph run and keeps the D on it's heals. Burkhead can run or catch and while S. Michel is running into stacked boxes, Burkhead isn't as much.

I don't see this changing much short term until either the new FB proves dynomite and or the new O-line gels.

KY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Big question for sexy Rexy has always been health. Everytime he's ramped up to a fuller workload it's resulted in injury. 

If he can stay healthy and get a decent workload I don't see why he can't continue to put up top 20ish RB performances with a decent floor. 

Everytime Michel flails into the line it seems like Burkhead gets the rest of the series. 

Edited by LongBalls

46 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Yes, combination of factors:

1. The offensive line has taken a serious injury hit. 

2. Loss of J. Develin is huge. Combined with 1. above, NE can't really do what they like to do best and during their super bowl run: Go 21 personnel with Develin as a blocker. This was a physical style of smashmouth football and S. Michel benefited most.

3. S. Michel telegraphs run when he is in the game. That worked last year. Now with 1. and 2. above he's running into a wall.

4. With Burkhead in the backfield, NE doesn't telegraph run and keeps the D on it's heals. Burkhead can run or catch and while S. Michel is running into stacked boxes, Burkhead isn't as much.

I don't see this changing much short term until either the new FB proves dynomite and or the new O-line gels.

KY

Comparable to Gurley, people see what they want to see.

If their head cannon is "he's washed because of an injury" then when they watch a game they're not looking for replacement level run blockers getting beat, they're just looking at the back.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for both former Bulldogs if these teams find a blocking combination that works.

1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Jah...and your point is what? 

That's why Burkhead got 70 percent of the snaps. 

47 minutes ago, john00 said:

That's why Burkhead got 70 percent of the snaps. 

Wow..that was insightful.  I thought it might have had something to do with him playing way better than Michel.  Ugh.  Wonder what his snap count would have been with White there...like 55%?  That is so freaking terrible.  drop city

Starts to gain some real traction and then in Rex Burkhead fashion, he slows down the hype train.  Looks like he got an x-ray on his foot after the game on Sunday which came back negative.  Still, not great...

Burkhead is injury prone and NE uses RBBC, good luck picking which one will go off week to week. Not saying they dont have value but their ceilings are capped

1 minute ago, LongBalls said:

Will Rex Burkhead's injury lead to less work for Rex Burkhead?

• Haha 3

Will the James Develin injury that lead to more work for Burkhead lead to a Burkhead injury which will lead to more work for James White?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2