Boudewijn

Marquise Goodwin 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Around WR60-70, ADP #180. Only one time did he get a 1000yd season, last season again it was 400/4. He isn't even the WR2 anymore, with Pettis and Deebo and Kittle, but, on the other hand, I root for the kid on a purely sentimental basis. This was the moment I became a fan forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL6uTBnBfns

In 2017 he caught his first TD pass on the same day his wife lost their unborn kid; and then in 2018 they lost their unborn twins. Truly heart breaking, but he remains a beacon of sunshine and coolness. As a bit of good news, he used his speed the other day to win a nice bit of pocket money. The guy is fast; in the 2013 combine he had 4.27 and as a junior he had 2 gold medals in the World Junior Championships in Bydgoszcz (no, I did not bang my head on the keyboard, that's the actual name of the town).

So, nothing much to see here, but I acquired him in a draft anyway, and I will keep following him. I think he could have a 600 yd season; anything more is a bonus. He may not even make the cut, and he'll probably be my first to drop, but I'll still be a fan.

Or... he could have a couple games like these, and then everybody is a fan again:

 

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely a guy you can root for, and speed is fun as hell, but this is season 7 for him now, and he's gone above 450 yards just once.  Its hard to buy into 2017 being anything other than an outlier.    Best ball value exists for obvious reasons at least.  

I guess QB play maybe is the one thing to look at to see promise?  But those backups were able to feed Kittle and Pettis just fine.  I can't see Goodwin approaching 100 targets again with the emergence of those guys, despite his rapport with Jimmy G a while back.  

Edited by BrianM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Definitely a guy you can root for, and speed is fun as hell, but this is season 7 for him now, and he's gone above 450 yards just once.  Its hard to buy into 2017 being anything other than an outlier.    Best ball value exists for obvious reasons at least.  

I guess QB play maybe is the one thing to look at to see promise?  But those backups were able to feed Kittle and Pettis just fine.  I can't see Goodwin approaching 100 targets again with the emergence of those guys, despite his rapport with Jimmy G a while back.  

Yep, fully agree. I just needed to start the thread for him :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, that Packer game, I ALMOST started him on a hunch, but didn't.    I lost, because of it, then of course threw him in for a couple weeks after that hoping to capture another lightning strike.      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody to watch in preseason.  If he can stay healthy and show good chemistry with Jimmy G.  He could be a steal where he's getting drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Somebody to watch in preseason.  If he can stay healthy and show good chemistry with Jimmy G.  He could be a steal where he's getting drafted.

One of the speculative WR guys in this range will pay out, I'm just unsure whether it will be Goodwin, MVP, James Washington, Tre'Quan Smith, or someone else. For targets behind clear #1 option Kittle, Goodwin only needs to beat out Pettis (who I'm not completely sold on) and the rookie Deebo.  He's probably one of the top guys on my WR flyers list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect Shanahan to use him more in the role that he used Taylor Gabriel. He finds him more effective with lesser snaps and being creative with him. Obviously a boom or bust player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jumper said:

One of the speculative WR guys in this range will pay out, I'm just unsure whether it will be Goodwin, MVP, James Washington, Tre'Quan Smith, or someone else. For targets behind clear #1 option Kittle, Goodwin only needs to beat out Pettis (who I'm not completely sold on) and the rookie Deebo.  He's probably one of the top guys on my WR flyers list.  

 

Goodwin is a track guy playing football. Pettis is a legit WR. Goodwin makes sense as a best ball flyer but I don't see any appeal in other formats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JHM_13 said:

 

Goodwin is a track guy playing football. Pettis is a legit WR. Goodwin makes sense as a best ball flyer but I don't see any appeal in other formats.

He does have a 5 game track record as a WR2 with Jimmy G as his QB.  I know its small sample size but name me any other end of draft guy that has that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JHM_13 said:

 

Goodwin is a track guy playing football. Pettis is a legit WR. Goodwin makes sense as a best ball flyer but I don't see any appeal in other formats.

I'm in a 14-team, 16 round, and I took this guy instead of a D. That's basically the appeal; I agree he'll likely end up on the wire, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Goodwin vs Deebo vs Pettis 

 

Anyone have any strong thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide whether I'm a buyer in this receiving core or avoiding altogether. 

 

Goodwin is undraftable in my opinion.  He's a one trick pony that they're more likely to use to open up space for other receivers if he can remain healthy.

 

I think Pettis is the #1 and the most likely WR to eclipse 1,000 yards on the team.  He seems like decent value in the 7th round, but the Niners have so many weapons that consistency may be an issue.

 

I think Samuel is the best WR they have skill wise, but rookie WR typically start off slow, and he's more likely to be a Fantasy asset in the 2nd half of the season.  If you have deep benches he's a good stash in one of the final rounds, otherwise I could easily see him being a top waiver target in November/December.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is being massively overlooked. He's getting all the first team snaps and Pettis is in the doghouse. He's done it before on this offense. Last season he had several on and off the field problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 3:46 PM, TomisTerrific said:

This guy is being massively overlooked. He's getting all the first team snaps and Pettis is in the doghouse. He's done it before on this offense. Last season he had several on and off the field problems. 

 

Agreed. Anytime there's an unsettled depth chart you can take a receiver at value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, The_Truth_Returns said:

Goodwin is undraftable in my opinion.

At that moment I agreed to a large extent (even though I drafted him) but I think Goodwin proved something in camp and preseason:

On 8/25/2019 at 11:46 PM, TomisTerrific said:

He's getting all the first team snaps and Pettis is in the doghouse.

As far as I understand It's currently Pettis and Goodwin as the 2 main options (behind Kittle of course).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say he is worth the last WR spot on some rosters, he might be a dump after a week or 2 if his snap count is down, but if he's on the field we know from the past jimmy g likes him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's anyone's guess as to which SF receiver will benefit the most in 2019.  Pettis is a popular pick but carries a higher adp then Deebo and Goodwin.  And I believe they all carry the same risk and there is a high probability all of these guys hit waivers after week 1 or 2.  So go cheap.  

Edited by mikeflavaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.