hipriest69

Kevin Huerter 2019-2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Red Velvet aka Red Mamba, at the age of 19, had a fantastic rookie year.  He shot 38.5% from 3, making 1.8 / game, was in the 90th percentile in off the dribble jumpers, a 2.0 assist / TO ratio, was 1 of 4 players 20 or under to have a positive OPIPM, and finished with around 10 points 3 reb 3 assists.  He showed great ability to shoot from deep, excellent passing skills, the ability to collect steals, and the athleticism to just straight dunk over fools.  

To understand Huerter's value we need to understand Schlenk's philosophy in ATL, where's he's building his version of Golden State.  Huerter is Klay - someone who can stretch the floor and shoot high percentage deep 3's, which creates space for Trae and Collins, etc.  He's also a good secondary playmaker and can attack the closeouts and make the right pass or high percentage (90th percentile) jumper.  He also has length, and could turn out to be ok on D.  I touch on these things more for dynasty outlooks - so we get a sense of his importance and his role and future in Atlanta.  But I think it also means a minutes increase to over 30/game.  

I could see a breakout of 

15 points 2+ threes 4 reb 4 assists 1.2 steals on 43%FG and 80% FT on increased attempts as he works on getting to the rim and initiating more contact.  

One of the things he's added this offseason - strength.  Check out this pic - he's obviously way more jacked than last year.  Hope it doesnt hurt his jumper. 

spacer.png

Edited by hipriest69

This kid can do so much - run the floor, catch and shoot, iso, step-back, cut, hand-offs...Klay Thompson with a 40 inch vert...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm a fan of the kid myself. I remember grabbing him off waivers when I saw his minutes gradually increase as the season went on. Then right around late January and onward he started to struggle heavily, but he was still out there involved. Learning and growing. Which you're suppose to do with young players. Not treat them like they're in boot camp. I think he has a strong chance of being a top 100 player with top 50-75 upside in this sophomore campaign. 

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

This kid can do so much - run the floor, catch and shoot, iso, step-back, cut, hand-offs...Klay Thompson with a 40 inch vert...

These Klay Thompson comparisons are a little out there though. I realize that's his potential ceiling, but eh...

Kyle Korver is a more fair comparison IMO. Which is crazy because Korver's best playing days were with the Hawks.

3 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

These Klay Thompson comparisons are a little out there though. I realize that's his potential ceiling, but eh...

Kyle Korver is a more fair comparison IMO. Which is crazy because Korver's best playing days were with the Hawks.

I don't think they are that out there. Maybe he won't reach Klay's heights (but he could - that is the deal with potential: it is just that - potential...), but he is much more like Klay than Korver. His defensive upside is MUCH more like Klay than Korver for starters. He can finish around the rim and get up for dunks (never Korver's game), he's athletic, his jumper and release are quite similar to Klay (although definitely slower than Klay's, but similar action), and similar to Klay he is OK off the dribble and a passer (not either's strength, but decent), whereas Korver is purely catch-and-shoot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

15 points 2+ threes 4 reb 4 assists 1.2 steals on 43%FG and 80% FT on increased attempts as he works on getting to the rim and initiating more contact. 

80% FT would be quite big improvement which I don't really see for now. In his first season, Huerter shot slightly worse than he did in college and as the season progressed - he approached the "center area"🙂

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, slmroz said:

80% FT would be quite big improvement which I don't really see for now. In his first season, Huerter shot slightly worse than he did in college and as the season progressed - he approached the "center area"🙂

Yes I know it was a bit of a stretch, but with more consistent attempts at the line I think he could develop a better rhythm.  My thinking is that he's such an elite shooter he almost has to get better at the line.  

Last year he had less than 1 attempt per game.  Likewise, his first year in college he had less than 1 att per game, and shot 71%.  The next year in college he was over 3 attempts per game at 76%.  We've seen worse shooter improve their FT from college to pros, so I'm betting at some point he can get to over 80% with 3+ attempts / game.  

Edited by hipriest69
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

12 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

I don't think they are that out there. Maybe he won't reach Klay's heights (but he could - that is the deal with potential: it is just that - potential...), but he is much more like Klay than Korver. His defensive upside is MUCH more like Klay than Korver for starters. He can finish around the rim and get up for dunks (never Korver's game), he's athletic, his jumper and release are quite similar to Klay (although definitely slower than Klay's, but similar action), and similar to Klay he is OK off the dribble and a passer (not either's strength, but decent), whereas Korver is purely catch-and-shoot.

He will never be Klay because Klay is a LEGEND Hall of Fame player who is arguably the most clutch shooter in NBA history.  Hell if I had to choose a starting 5 to win one playoff game, Klay is absolutely in there.  

I'd agree that he is far from Korver, who doesn't have the athleticism, passing, dribbling, shot creation, or defensive potential of Huerter.  Watch out for the step back 3!

• Like 1

What do you guys think about Huerter's outlook this season in Atlanta?

Now that Kent Bazemore and Taurean Prince are gone and Atlanta's focus is to develop their young cores (Trae Young and John Collins), new addition of Cam Reddish (PG), De'andre Hunter (SF), Jabari Parker (PF/ SF) and Evan Turner (SF) should have minimal negative influence on Huerter's usage and minutes. Kevin Huerter's competition should be Bembry and possibly Allen Crabbe?

Certain growth of 2nd year SG is expected. Hopefully his FT (73.2% last year) improves.

Do you see him produce 12 pts 4 rebs 4 ast (a very underrated passer) 2 3pt 1.2 stl and be at top 100 this year? Could he be a consistent 12-team candidate or just a weekly waiver wire pickup?

He should be a good late round pickup for 3pt and steal after Gary Harris is gone?

• Like 1

That seems about right, I could see closer to 15-17 points / game.  The % will also be big.  Will it be 43/72?  Or 45/79?  He worked on getting stronger and initiating contact and finishing at the rim.  Can he push up to an elite 3 - threes / game?  He has a lot of talent.  There's worse players you could pick.  

You think he will be TOP100 player? Hardly. I don't project him higher than somewhere place 120-130. I saw one projection which was quite likely: 14/4/3, 2,4 threes, 1 steal and 43/74 shooting. They projected him as 122th. Very close to reality.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, hipriest69 said:

Red Velvet aka Red Mamba, at the age of 19, had a fantastic rookie year.  He shot 38.5% from 3, making 1.8 / game, was in the 90th percentile in off the dribble jumpers, a 2.0 assist / TO ratio, was 1 of 4 players 20 or under to have a positive OPIPM, and finished with around 10 points 3 reb 3 assists.  He showed great ability to shoot from deep, excellent passing skills, the ability to collect steals, and the athleticism to just straight dunk over fools.  

To understand Huerter's value we need to understand Schlenk's philosophy in ATL, where's he's building his version of Golden State.  Huerter is Klay - someone who can stretch the floor and shoot high percentage deep 3's, which creates space for Trae and Collins, etc.  He's also a good secondary playmaker and can attack the closeouts and make the right pass or high percentage (90th percentile) jumper.  He also has length, and could turn out to be ok on D.  I touch on these things more for dynasty outlooks - so we get a sense of his importance and his role and future in Atlanta.  But I think it also means a minutes increase to over 30/game.  

One of the things he's added this offseason - strength.  Check out this pic - he's obviously way more jacked than last year.  Hope it doesnt hurt his jumper. 

spacer.png

wtf? Is Jose Canseco running their weight lifting program?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nazyef said:

Does Cam Reddish affect the Big Huert's value?

I don't think so he's just keeping it warm.  Huerter > Cam at the moment.  Huerter showed legit playmaking skills and elite shooting in the NBA.  Reddish showed he has no playmaking skills in college and is more of a liability with the ball in his hands.  He had more turnovers than assists.  Also, he was probably hurt but I don't see him overtaking Huerter at any point during the season.  

• Like 1

Reddish starting over huerter tomorrow. Huerter limited to 15 minutes after missing preseason. Y’all think huerter is a lock to get the starting job back once he’s up to speed?

Yes, it’s his to lose. Next game will probably be twenty mins. Twenty five from there and so on.

1 hour ago, DoctorLove said:

Reddish starting over huerter tomorrow. Huerter limited to 15 minutes after missing preseason. Y’all think huerter is a lock to get the starting job back once he’s up to speed?

Yes, Huerter is in the long-term plan for the Hawks as the trio (Trae - Collins - Red Mamba). They're easing him in the first few games because of the knee injury, which I'm not worried about. I expect him to log 28-34 minutes per game within 2 weeks. Drafted him at 118, with realistic topside of top 100. 

I project 44%/76%/2/15/4/3 with 1 steal, 0.4 blocks, and 1.5 TO

• Like 1

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again.  Huerter is the starter and better player over Cam Reddish.  Reddish will not affect Huerter, if anything he'll affect Hunter and be in a losing timeshare.  Huerter + Hunter both > Reddish.  

3 turnovers yikes I’m still holding him 

I’m damn sure I will be regretting about it if I drop him now for another waiver pickup 

Edited by csklmf

5 minutes ago, csklmf said:

I’m damn sure I will be regretting about it if I drop him now for another waiver pickup 

He’s on a minutes restriction and still recovering from knee discomfort. It’s  premature to drop. I didn’t even plug him in my lineups today because I know it’s not a fair evaluation. He’s the clear starter and once healthy, should be serviceable.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, csklmf said:

22 hours ago, boytoy said:

He’s on a minutes restriction and still recovering from knee discomfort. It’s  premature to drop. I didn’t even plug him in my lineups today because I know it’s not a fair evaluation. He’s the clear starter and once healthy, should be serviceable.

What was very encouraging was that he had 4 reb and 5 assists in only 14 minutes.  He looks like he might be the backup point guard when Trae is out...if he can hover around that 4/4 reb/ast mark the whole year that would be nice.  

Is anyone still holding this guy or dropping him to stream?