Sign in to follow this  
My Roy Williams Tramp Stam

Alexander Mojica OF PIT

Recommended Posts

6'1 16 year old Alexander Mojica is dominating the DSL. Usually kids these young, even with immense raw power, only hit a couple homeruns. In only 120 ABs Mojica already has 7 homeruns and 8 doubles. And more walks (27 BB) then Ks (24 K). I know its early and a small sample but Mojica did not get any hype after signing but a close friend of mine familiar with him has told me kid has a beautiful short swing with elite bat speed and already shows a unique ability to hit breaking balls and off speed pitches.

 

Mojica is one to watch very closely but similar to the Rockies farm system, the Pirates move their young players at a snails pace even if dominating and too good for the level. The pirates will move them faster into full season ball though (unlike the Rockies which will keep young prospects who are dominating im short season ball for a few years). But once in full season ball expect them to move extremely slowly.  Mojica is going to be special. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow - havent heard of him until now.  He signed last year? He isn't listed in the top 30 international prospects 2018 MLB prospect watch archive.  So he was under the radar. Just watched what little video of him I could find and he looks really smooth. DSL isn't a good indicator tho because Ive seen plenty kill it there. Want to see what he can do stateside at 16. Hoping they promote him to gcl this season.  thnx for the tout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 40+ Year Prospect Junkie said:

wow - havent heard of him until now.  He signed last year? He isn't listed in the top 30 international prospects 2018 MLB prospect watch archive.  So he was under the radar. Just watched what little video of him I could find and he looks really smooth. DSL isn't a good indicator tho because Ive seen plenty kill it there. Want to see what he can do stateside at 16. Hoping they promote him to gcl this season.  thnx for the tout

Care to share a link to those videos?😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, My Roy Williams Tramp Stam said:

Mojica is going to be special. 

I feel like this is a bit premature. None of the DSL HR leaders from last year, even Malcom Nunez who had 13 HR in 44 games as a 16 year old, have turned out to to be that worthwhile so far. It's only been a year for Nunez, sure, but hype usually doesn't build up until at least A- unless a player is incredibly talented to begin with (like Marco Luciano). If hype builds you can still pounce on Mojica this time next year while not using the roster spot for dead weight in the meantime.

 

That being said, Mojica probably has as good of an outlook as anyone else in the DSL. I've had my eye on him for a while but can't pull the trigger. I'll be thrilled if he continues this stateside.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maxcd99 said:

I feel like this is a bit premature. None of the DSL HR leaders from last year, even Malcom Nunez who had 13 HR in 44 games as a 16 year old, have turned out to to be that worthwhile so far. It's only been a year for Nunez, sure, but hype usually doesn't build up until at least A- unless a player is incredibly talented to begin with (like Marco Luciano). If hype builds you can still pounce on Mojica this time next year while not using the roster spot for dead weight in the meantime.

 

That being said, Mojica probably has as good of an outlook as anyone else in the DSL. I've had my eye on him for a while but can't pull the trigger. I'll be thrilled if he continues this stateside.


Well if you grab now, it's possible the hype will create some trade value over the offseason. Like with Malcom Nunez. Not a bad approach with the these super young kids getting more popular after the returns seen on Soto, Acuna, Franco, Vlad, Devers, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tucker26 said:


Well if you grab now, it's possible the hype will create some trade value over the offseason. Like with Malcom Nunez. Not a bad approach with the these super young kids getting more popular after the returns seen on Soto, Acuna, Franco, Vlad, Devers, etc...

Mojica is a completely different animal than most of the guys you listed. He wasn't a top 30 international guy anywhere and signed for a $350,000 signing bonus. Ignoring Jasson Dominguez, Wander is the most highly touted J2 16 year old in at least the past 5 years. Nobody has came close to his skill set and talent heading into J2 except maybe Daniel Flores, who was an ultra toolsy catcher with a ton of potential (RIP). Vlad was no slouch either and was the top guy in his year.

Other guys like Soto/Devers were much more under the radar but both were million dollar signees and top 30 prospects for the period. They didn't completely come out of the blue, but the odds were against them. Robels was the top guy to watch for the Nationals forever and Soto was kinda seen as the next Soto, but he kept hitting and hitting when the Nats gave him tough assignments. Even with that, Baseball Prospectus was the only place super high on him and that was when raking the GCL...not DSL. Soto didn't get intense mainstream attention until during 2017 when he destroyed A ball.

The only guy from a sleeper/international signee standpoint that makes any sense for a comparison is Acuna. Similar to Mojica, he was also a nobody heading into J2 and only got 100k. Acuna in his first season did really well in GCL and Appy as a 16 year old with a 145 and 138 wRC+ respectively, and got no attention. In 2016 he got a super aggressive assignment to A ball, killed it, and then he got all the high praise for being legit. The rest is history.

 

Look, I'm not saying ignore Mojica. I love when super low minors guys get attention and I have fun grinding through the low minor leaderboards in order to find random guys popping up. I just think everything has to be weighed with appropriate context. For the most part, only bums get assigned to the DSL. Even in the GCL/Arizona league games aren't super competitive and there's extra emphasis on development rather than getting wins. I think a 16 year old that was barely worth scouting a year ago putting up numbers in the worst MLB-affiliated league in baseball does not deserve to be called a "special player" like someone else previously surprised. It's lazy and a good stat line doesn't necessarily mean a prospect is good. Mojica could be good but I want to see him perform well in at the very least domestic rookie ball before taking him seriously. No one here is a professional scout, so stat lines and raw footage is the best thing we have. That being said, since stat lines are our best tool, it's important to take it with appropriate context....since high performance in the DSL rarely ever screams that a player is a worthwhile prospect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally get it, not holding my breath but Malcom Nunez had trade value last off-season is all I am saying. With the popularity of those superstars I mentioned, it’s not hard to imagine more people reaching and crossing their fingers more frequently than in the past. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this