Sign in to follow this  
IlliniGuy76

Brailyn Marquez = SP, Cubs

Posted (edited)

This is a 20 year old, LHP/SP Dominican kid who coming into this season was ranked anywhere from 2-4 on the Cubs top prospect lists.  He's been tinkering with getting more of his off speed stuff over the plate this year.  However, he consistently sits at 99-101 MPH with his fastball and can locate that pitch.

Below is video of him in his past outing where he struck out 14 batters - the most since South Bend became affiliated with the Cubs.

I believe he's going to be a fast riser on the Cubs prospect list and overall lists.  If the kid can ever consistently get his off speed stuff over the plate (and he's much young enough to figure that out) WATCH OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHK1jZAGlE

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That last game of his was one of the bets minor league pitching lines of the season. 1 hit no walks 6 ip 14ks. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

That last game of his was one of the bets minor league pitching lines of the season. 1 hit no walks 6 ip 14ks. 

Kids got downright filthy/Ace-type stuff & he has the secondary pitches to be highly successful - he just needs to learn how to get those secondary pitches over the plate.

Posted (edited)

Not as sharp as his last two starts, but Brailyn put up a 5IP 0H 0ER 3BB 4K line tonight in his A+ debut. He threw 79 pitches. Over his last 3 starts he has posted a ludicrous 17IP 1H 0ER 4BB 26K

Edited by Tryptamine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rotoworld cracks me up sometimes - "there's mid-rotation starter upside in his left arm"  Dude is 20, left handed, throws 101 MPH and has secondary pitches he's working on and it's beginning to click.  Yep... "mid-rotation" upside.  Hilarious!

17 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Rotoworld cracks me up sometimes - "there's mid-rotation starter upside in his left arm"  Dude is 20, left handed, throws 101 MPH and has secondary pitches he's working on and it's beginning to click.  Yep... "mid-rotation" upside.  Hilarious!

I mean , every prospect site basically slaps a mid rotation on any good pitcher a decent ways away unless they were a top draft pick. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean , every prospect site basically slaps a mid rotation on any good pitcher a decent ways away unless they were a top draft pick. 

You're probably correct - my point, more so, is those top picks were taken as a result of their "stuff" and earning the moniker of "Ace level stuff".  

51 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

He hit 102 on the stadium's gun last night. After the first two innings he was sitting more 97-99. 😀

Just now, Tryptamine said:

He hit 102 on the stadium's gun last night. After the first two innings he was sitting more 97-99. 😀

IF IF IF he can ever get a firm grasp on an secondary & third pitch - oh boy oh boy!  

9 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

IF IF IF he can ever get a firm grasp on an secondary & third pitch - oh boy oh boy!  

Supposedly two of the big reasons for his run over the last month+ has been more fastball usage and improved command of his slider. A slider which hit 94mph last night.The change up is the pitch that's still lagging behind. If he can get that to be even league average the upside is immense.

5IP 3H 0ER 0BB 4K in his second start at A+. We're getting to the point where this is looking less and less like just a hot streak.

• Thanks 1

Well he finally gave up a run; I guess it had to happen eventually. Tonight's line 5 1/3IP 5H 1ER 1BB 8K.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Final start of the season today for the 20 year old, 6IP 5H 1ER 1BB 6K. It will be interesting to see if the Cubs get very aggressive and start him in AA next year.

• Thanks 1

Now the Cub's #1 prospect according to BA along with an 80 grade fastball.  Considering Hoerner was top 50 for BA last year and he slid to #2, it would seem likely that Marquez is now a top 50 guy.

• Like 1