The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Proceeds to post highlight of arguably the best RB in history.  Barry is the exception, not the rule.  Size is still a concern for 99% of NFL players.

No one is saying it’s a rule. There are plenty of examples of players his size. To blow him off because he’s not 6’ is just poor player evaluation. But, I hope that people continue to do so. There’s no doubt in my mind that he is the best RB on that roster. When the rubber meets the road and he’s vastly outperforming McCoy and Gore, they are not going to keep him off the field. I’m not saying he’s going to be a first round pick in next years draft, but there is no other RB 4/5 with more upside than him this year. 

• Like 1

My positive evaluation of Singletary was a result of watching his game film, which IMHO over-rid his poor "metrics".

The kid can play football.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I drafted Singletary in the 2nd round of my dynasty league and had two GM's immediately curse me out for picking him up.  One guy offered me a 1st round pick (which will likely be a top 3 pick) in next year's draft for him straight up so I took that and ran.  I like the kid's chances in Buffalo.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, bam327 said:

MJD was 5’7 210 at the combine. 

Using weight and height to judge the size of a back is extremely short sighted. Weight distribution is what really matters.

Yes, MJD wasn't very big by his numbers but he was extremely low to the ground when he ran and had huge legs. This basically made him a wrecking ball that you would just bounce off when you hit. I guarantee you that if you asked guys that played against him they'd say he ran closer to a 230+ pound back and that is because of his weight distribution. Which is why a "small" back led the league in carries and yards.

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Using weight and height to judge the size of a back is extremely short sighted. Weight distribution is what really matters.

Yes, MJD wasn't very big by his numbers but he was extremely low to the ground when he ran and had huge legs. This basically made him a wrecking ball that you would just bounce off when you hit. I guarantee you that if you asked guys that played against him they'd say he ran closer to a 230+ pound back and that is because of his weight distribution. Which is why a "small" back led the league in carries and yards.

Not to mention sub 4.4 speed.  

7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Not to mention sub 4.4 speed.  

Correct.

I've seen MJD thrown around multiple times as a reason for why smaller guys can be great but it makes no sense. MJD was an absolute freak for his size. For how low he ran to the ground and for how big this dudes legs really are sub 4.4 is absolutely ridiclous. 

Maurice+Jones+Drew+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Ja

43 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Discounting a RB because he’s 5’7, especially when’s he’s 200+ lbs is extremely short sighted. But hey, you do you

12 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Has a chance to be a solid RB2 with ancient place-keepers ahead of him.

This guy right here gets it. :D

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bam327 said:

Discounting a RB because he’s 5’7, especially when’s he’s 200+ lbs is extremely short sighted. But hey, you do you

I never once said that. You posted a flawed comparison. I’d like you to tell me where I discounted a guy because he’s 5 7. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:30 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

My positive evaluation of Singletary was a result of watching his game film, which IMHO over-rid his poor "metrics".

The kid can play football.

The flaw of this is you are watching him play against college talent, and not even a power conference. How many of those guys he face going to be in the NFL? Almost none.

Gaudy numbers vs poor competition. Poor measurables, slow and undersized usually don't mix well.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:44 AM, Mustangt125 said:

Proceeds to post highlight of arguably the best RB in history.  Barry is the exception, not the rule.  Size is still a concern for 99% of NFL players.

It's especially a concern for Singletary because he was among the slowest/worst performers in the 40 yard dash, 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle, and broad jump... He was so poor across all tests that he would have actually ranked among the bottom of linebackers as well. His bench reps were terrible to boot too.

He put up gaudy stats vs poor college competition in Conference USA... A conference that only had 6 players drafted in 2019, and he was one of them... 

Considering his lack of size, lack of NFL caliber athleticism, and lack of record vs good competition... I see no reason to burn a pick on him other than bottom of the roster fodder that you would be ready to cut.

That's just my $0.02 ... Not a fan of him. But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

What was lacking at the combine? Is he slow, not agile, can't jump? 

Oneif the worst RB performers in 40 yard dash, 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle, broad jump, and bench press... Middle of the pack vert jump... His testing was so poor he would have ranked at the bottom for linebackers as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, cizastro said:

I drafted Singletary in the 2nd round of my dynasty league and had two GM's immediately curse me out for picking him up.  One guy offered me a 1st round pick (which will likely be a top 3 pick) in next year's draft for him straight up so I took that and ran.  I like the kid's chances in Buffalo.

You got a steal and the guy you traded with is a rube. If Singletary came out next year he would probably be somewhere around the 6 or 7th best RB draft prospect, depending on your feelings on Cam Akers/JK Dobbins. There's a decent shot at 2 RBs going in Rd. 1 or early Rd. 2 in the draft (Etienne and Taylor), not to mention a strong projected WR class and the strongest QB class in a few years. And I like Singletary even. But he's not near on that level as a prospect. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The G Man said:
17 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Has a chance to be a solid RB2 with ancient place-keepers ahead of him.

This guy right here gets it. :D

frank gore is not a place-keeper and has shown zero signs of slowing down. singletary's potential and future is so clearly written it ain't even funny:

he will play second-fiddle to frank gore for the next four years,

and get traded when his rookie contract ends,

and then gore will subvert another rookie's opportunities for four more years. rinse and repeat.

athletes from frank gore's planet age more slowly.

i image frank gore and singletary will both retire in the same year, 2031.

Gore_36_yards_Dolphins_Patriots_2018_Wee

GOREGOREGORE.0.0.gif

2014-12-2017_31_16.gif

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

You got a steal and the guy you traded with is a rube. If Singletary came out next year he would probably be somewhere around the 6 or 7th best RB draft prospect, depending on your feelings on Cam Akers/JK Dobbins. There's a decent shot at 2 RBs going in Rd. 1 or early Rd. 2 in the draft (Etienne and Taylor), not to mention a strong projected WR class and the strongest QB class in a few years. And I like Singletary even. But he's not near on that level as a prospect. 

I think Singletary landed in about as good of a situation as he could to end up getting a fair amount of touches.  His competition above him is mediocre at best.  I just couldn't pass the upside for next year and RB is not a position I was hard up for this season.  

38 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

he will play second-fiddle to frank gore for the next four years,

If Frank Gore plays 4 more years, I will eat my hat.

1 hour ago, cizastro said:

I think Singletary landed in about as good of a situation as he could to end up getting a fair amount of touches.  His competition above him is mediocre at best.  I just couldn't pass the upside for next year and RB is not a position I was hard up for this season.  

I agree he's in a good situation but I'm just saying that top 3 dynasty pick next season will likely be someone really good and a much better prospect long term than Singletary. 

17 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I never once said that. You posted a flawed comparison. I’d like you to tell me where I discounted a guy because he’s 5 7. 

I'd like for you to point out where I compared Singletary to MJD.  I, amongst others, provided examples of players having success that were 5'7.  As someone else pointed out, the best RB of all time was 5'7.  Singletary is 7 lbs lighter than MJD was at the combine, so your weight distribution argument doesn't hold water.  Look, I'm not claiming Singletary to be as good as what MJD was, but anyone that watched a blip of Buffalo last year can clearly see McCoy is done.  If he makes it past cuts, they will probably trot him out as the starter.  I believe Gore will be a RB to spell the starter, regardless of who that is.  I also believe that even at 5'7 and even as a rookie, Singletary is >>>> than what McCoy is, and once games start mattering Singletary will take over McCoy's role.  I don't think this guy will be a first round pick in next years draft, like I already mentioned, but I also expect him to be at minimum Flex/Bye week fill in worthy by mid season at worst.  Me personally, I'm targeting him in the 10/11 round and I'm I will own zero shares of McCoy who is going a round higher.  

There is more to this kid than the combine testing (which is merely a piece of the evaluation puzzle). The 40 time is vastly overrated for RBs anyways. He has elite vision, balance and tackle breaking ability--in fact I read that only Montgomery had better tackle breaking metrics and both were among the best that PFF have charted since they began doing it for college football. There def can be an argument made that it came against inferior competition, so it remains to be seen if that will fully translate to the NFL. Still, the biggest factor in fantasy success is opportunity and he is in a position to likely get plenty of that soon enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

What was lacking at the combine? Is he slow, not agile, can't jump? 

Yes, yes, and yes.  His testing was a disaster.  

His film might look good, but against whom?  Here was FAU's schedule last season:

Oklahoma, Air Force, Bethune Cookman, Central Fla., Middle Tenn. St., Old Dominion, Marshall, La. Tech, Fla. Int'l, W. Ky., N. Texas, UNC-Charlotte.  Only two opponents in the top 50 based on RPI-style power rankings.  Of course he looked good against those guys; there just isn't the top end athletic talent on those squads.  

To be fair, in the two games against good competition, he did fine.  18 for 69 and a TD against Oklahoma, although they lost this game by 7 touchdowns so I don't know what unit was on the field for OU most of that game.  Had a big day in a blowout loss to UCF (25 for 131 and 3 TD).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bam327 said:

I'd like for you to point out where I compared Singletary to MJD.  I, amongst others, provided examples of players having success that were 5'7.  As someone else pointed out, the best RB of all time was 5'7.  Singletary is 7 lbs lighter than MJD was at the combine, so your weight distribution argument doesn't hold water.  Look, I'm not claiming Singletary to be as good as what MJD was, but anyone that watched a blip of Buffalo last year can clearly see McCoy is done.  If he makes it past cuts, they will probably trot him out as the starter.  I believe Gore will be a RB to spell the starter, regardless of who that is.  I also believe that even at 5'7 and even as a rookie, Singletary is >>>> than what McCoy is, and once games start mattering Singletary will take over McCoy's role.  I don't think this guy will be a first round pick in next years draft, like I already mentioned, but I also expect him to be at minimum Flex/Bye week fill in worthy by mid season at worst.  Me personally, I'm targeting him in the 10/11 round and I'm I will own zero shares of McCoy who is going a round higher.  

To be fair you posted about MJD in the Devin Singletary thread. I’m fairly certain the implication was some sort of comparison...

1 carry for a 9 yard TD last night...meanwhile Shady and Gore were piling up yards and Yeldon caught a few balls for some nice yardage but could not get any on the ground.

It's tough to say whether last night was any good for the kid? It was a sort of dress-rehearsal, but Allen did not seem to play much either?

He has certainly earned a role, though it is hard to gauge how much of one? Gonna have to be patient, but at his going rate he could be very helpful.