The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

Not sure how we are calling this a good situation for Singletary from a 2019 fantasy perspective.  Perhaps two years from now and the fact that he is getting a great learning experience.  In 2019, he is going to be getting third pickings.  Gore was signed because he is uber efficient at making sure the ball goes forward at least 2 yards a carry.  McCoy is no chump.  Not sure why we are casting these two aside.  I think we get overwhelmed with "the talent" and forget that this a professional organization that requires trust, experience, and execution.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I think we get overwhelmed with "the talent" and forget that this a professional organization that requires trust, experience, and execution.  

Calling the Bills "professional" is a bit much to my taste. Calling for executions is also a bit much, but to be fair it may be a solution in this case.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Calling the Bills "professional" is a bit much to my taste. Calling for executions is also a bit much, but to be fair it may be a solution in this case.

Well - for the most part I don't think of NFL organizations as the pinnacle of professionalism.  They seem to need a bit more weeding out but, as a whole, the league is becoming more professional.  The Bills really aren't terrible per say....or I am missing something.  I just don't hear much out of the Bills camp.  Seems like they have been turning the page over the past few years.  Still stink but..

• Like 1

This guy is a waste of roster space now...add after bye weeks maybe although this going to be the Shady gore show all season

• Like 1

Uh... Bills aren't gonna be winning games right?

When they start losing for real you think they're gonna turn to Shady and Gore?

2 hours ago, BLINDSIDERS said:

Give me Singletary late. I want no part of Shady or Gore.

In redraft Singletary is a wasted pick barring a trade of one of these vet rbs. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Aren't most 10+ round picks in redraft basically shots in the dark who may or may not have upside and more than likely will find themselves on the waiver wire at some point? 

59 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I remember people telling me the same thing about Kamara, who was playing behind a workhorse and a hall of fame player as the clear third stringer. Good think I didn't listen then.

Losing teams generally don't feature 36 year olds too heavily.

2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I remember people telling me the same thing about Kamara, who was playing behind a workhorse and a hall of fame player as the clear third stringer. Good think I didn't listen then.

Losing teams generally don't feature 36 year olds too heavily.

Yeah but those 30+ year old RBs are bigger, stronger, and faster than Singletary... Kamara is highly athletic and built.

Calling the Bills a losing team this year is premature, they have a very good defense and #7 overall pick QB going into year 2 with massively upgraded weapons from last year's league worst passing options.

11 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Yeah but those 30+ year old RBs are bigger, stronger, and faster than Singletary... Kamara is highly athletic and built.

Calling the Bills a losing team this year is premature, they have a very good defense and #7 overall pick QB going into year 2 with massively upgraded weapons from last year's league worst passing options.

I'm not saying he's Kamara, but I am saying between three guys, one of which is 30 plus with 3.2ypc last year, one of which is 36 with more miles than maybe anyone ever, and one of which is a 3rd round rookie?

Zero chance that Singletary isn't the starter by midseason. And by the way, Singletary's looked good on his chances so far. Literally picked 1 behind David Montgomery.

Just now, pushaZ said:

I'm not saying he's Kamara, but I am saying between three guys, one of which is 30 plus with 3.2ypc last year, one of which is 36 with more miles than maybe anyone ever, and one of which is a 3rd round rookie?

Zero chance that Singletary isn't the starter by midseason. And by the way, Singletary's looked good on his chances so far. Literally picked 1 behind David Montgomery.

Yep, also was the only other college RB in the same stratosphere as Singletary when it came to charted forced tackles missed. He has some warts, but it is clear the Bills liked the tape and what he brought to spend that sort of draft capital on him. With a possibly decent O-line and very mobile QB, it is not hard to envision Singletary making a difference for fantasy teams by the middle of the year...it seems he has already earned a role.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yep, also was the only other college RB in the same stratosphere as Singletary when it came to charted forced tackles missed. He has some warts, but it is clear the Bills liked the tape and what he brought to spend that sort of draft capital on him. With a possibly decent O-line and very mobile QB, it is not hard to envision Singletary making a difference for fantasy teams by the middle of the year...it seems he has already earned a role.

Besides him only 5 players in his entire conference were drafted. He played inferior competition. His combine numbers were so poor his 40, 3 cone, shuttle, broad jump were at the bottom of not only RBs, but LBs as well... Not good for a guy that's 5'7".

Devin is plenty talented. And uh, McCoy won't even be on the team this year. He'll be cut or traded.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Besides him only 5 players in his entire conference were drafted. He played inferior competition. His combine numbers were so poor his 40, 3 cone, shuttle, broad jump were at the bottom of not only RBs, but LBs as well... Not good for a guy that's 5'7".

Good thing they don't run a 3 cone to get first downs or strip down to their underwear and see how far they can jump to determine touchdowns. 

Numbers and measurables are always a thing, but sometimes you are just a good football player without all that stuff. Singletary could be impactful just like a host of other guys that break out every year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Good thing they don't run a 3 cone to get first downs or strip down to their underwear and see how far they can jump to determine touchdowns. 

Numbers and measurables are always a thing, but sometimes you are just a good football player without all that stuff. Singletary could be impactful just like a host of other guys that break out every year. 

You realize he needs to outrun linebackers in the NFL, not against bums like Middle Tennesse State, right? Lmao

I'm not asking him to post top tier numbers... Just maybe be quicker/faster than the 250 lb linebacker. I dunno, seems important.

You guys keep smoking those Conference USA stats... Only 2 defensive players (both DEs) were drafted out of there in 2019... Sounds tough!

1 minute ago, StevieStats said:

You realize he needs to outrun linebackers in the NFL, not against bums like Middle Tennesse State, right? Lmao

I'm not asking him to post top tier numbers... Just maybe be quicker/faster than the 250 lb linebacker. I dunno, seems important.

You guys keep smoking those Conference USA stats... Only 2 defensive players (both DEs) were drafted out of there in 2019... Sounds tough!

The thing is he's going in round 10+ for fantasy football purposes. He's a dart throw just like nearly every pick in those late rounds are. What we do know is he was drafted in the 3rd round, he's got a fairly decent path to get some playing time, and he was an effective football player in college.

For every juiced SPARQ score player, there's another guy that just makes it happen when the pads are on. Could SIngletary be a total dud? Yea of course, that's why he's going so late in drafts. Could he be a serviceable flex at some point this season? Sure. I don't think anyone is drafting this kid and saying got my RB1 for the year. 

• Like 2

Totally agree @TheDoctor all these underwear tests are part of the eval process, but certainly not the end-all/be-all either. SPARQ freaks fail all the time.

Yeah the 40 time at 4.66 is not good, but did he improve at his pro-day? Don't know but could have just been a bad day, still we have seen plenty of really great NFL backs pop up times in that high 4.5 and low-to-mid 4.6 range too. He's a littler guy, height-wise, but has power at well over 205 lbs. He is on the young side being 21 yrs old and going pro after his true Junior season. The competition argument (or lack thereof he faced) holds some water, but his o-line was awful too and all he did was force 96 missed tackles and accumulate 76% of his rushing output after contact.

And, all of this is relative to his value--which right now is at a bargain rate imo, factoring in what the Bills gave up for him and who is located in front of him for carries/work. He also isn't necessarily buried on the depth chart, he's earned plenty of 1st team work and will have some sort of role to begin the year--much will depend on how he does with that, as well as what the others do. I think he can return value this year and is an underrated dynasty asset as well.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

ill take the elusive, shifty, patient rb over the fast rb that runs right into the back of his oline or that tries to bounce everything outside.

have no idea if singletary will be good but the measurables don't mean a lot to me. opportunity is the #1 thing I look at with late dart throws

Edited by colepenhagen

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

ill take the elusive, shifty, patient rb over the fast rb that runs right into the back of his oline or that tries to bounce everything outside.

have no idea if singletary will be good but the measurables don't mean a lot to me. opportunity is the #1 thing I look at with late dart throws

Then take McCoy... He's also faster and quicker than Singletary...

See this is what I don't get, you guys are dumping on McCoy but if you actually watch the games he's noticeably faster/quicker than Singletary... Usually the older RB has declined to the point the younger back is a better athlete, but that's just not the case here... 

If Singletary pans out in his career, at best he'll be James White. He's not feature back material.

Edited by StevieStats

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Then take McCoy... He's also faster and quicker than Singletary...

See this is what I don't get, you guys are dumping on McCoy but if you actually watch the games he's noticeably faster/quicker than Singletary... Usually the older RB has declined to the point the younger back is a better athlete, but that's just not the case here... 

If Singletary pans out in his career, at best he'll be James White. He's not feature back material.

A very athletic 3.2 ypc last year.

Is there any reason to believe that this year's offense will be better than last?  Better OL?  Different coaches?

34 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Is there any reason to believe that this year's offense will be better than last?  Better OL?  Different coaches?

The biggest reason is that Josh Allen has had a year of practice and development.  I know he's all over the place but I like a lot of what I've seen with him (at least on the good games).  Usually, bad teams do better than people expect and good teams do worse than people expect.  But it's an 80/20 rule, sometimes bad teams are even worse and good teams are even better.

I have never seen a team where 100% of the offense was worthless from a fantasy perspective.

2 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I have never seen a team where 100% of the offense was worthless from a fantasy perspective.

oh, Jacksonville made a hell of a run at WORTHLESS last year ... BRUTAL.