The G Man

Devin Singletary 2019 Outlook

51 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Is there any reason to believe that this year's offense will be better than last?  Better OL?  Different coaches?

I usually say "it can always be worse" when comparing things here, but its really hard to not see some kind of improvement, maybe a marginal one, but something positive.   If you really look at last year's roster, its amazing they won 6 games.   

As Allen goes, it should go, basically.  The line should be.......capable?  I can't imagine its studly or close, but it shouldn't be a backbreaking weakness.   There's enough at WR that a truly good QB works with it.    

For Singletary's sake, i think it'll frustrate for a while.  McCoy not snapping back to form is a strongly possible outcome.  That doesn't mean a slow start shifts to Devin.  They may take 2-3 extra weeks to get there.    This isn't even a Nick Chubb-Carlos Hyde situation, and even that one took a while.   

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I usually say "it can always be worse" when comparing things here, but its really hard to not see some kind of improvement, maybe a marginal one, but something positive.   If you really look at last year's roster, its amazing they won 6 games.   

As Allen goes, it should go, basically.  The line should be.......capable?  I can't imagine its studly or close, but it shouldn't be a backbreaking weakness.   There's enough at WR that a truly good QB works with it.    

For Singletary's sake, i think it'll frustrate for a while.  McCoy not snapping back to form is a strongly possible outcome.  That doesn't mean a slow start shifts to Devin.  They may take 2-3 extra weeks to get there.    This isn't even a Nick Chubb-Carlos Hyde situation, and even that one took a while.   

I look at it effectively. When will you want Singletary by? Bye weeks most likely.

By then the Bills will have shown how bad they are. Keep in mind Hyde was signed the very year he was benched. McCoy was acquired years ago and the chatter was already there. Also as a Hyde owner, he wasn't very good real life, but he was great in fantasy until the wheels fell off. He did his job in Cleveland until he didn't.

McCoy is going to be a clown show and that team is going to be so bad that McDermott will be playing for his job, if not outright fired by week 4, just in time for bye weeks.

Edited by pushaZ

kid can be a lurvely flex option as we move along ... if he's hovering anywhere near my radar/slot im'ma scoop the lil' fella.

come join ... we profit, we chat, we laugh and cry. 

it'll be very. 

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

oh, Jacksonville made a hell of a run at WORTHLESS last year ... BRUTAL. 

Only because of Fournette's injury, but they were brutal indeed.

3 hours ago, pushaZ said:

A very athletic 3.2 ypc last year.

It's not a boast about McCoy, but rather a slight to Singletary that McCoy is blowing the doors off him at his ancient age. Thanks for proving my point though. McCoy who had a putrid 3.2 YPC last year is more explosive and spry than Singletary...

14 hours ago, StevieStats said:

It's not a boast about McCoy, but rather a slight to Singletary that McCoy is blowing the doors off him at his ancient age. Thanks for proving my point though. McCoy who had a putrid 3.2 YPC last year is more explosive and spry than Singletary...

I don't know Stevie, I think it's awfully early to pronounce that McCoy is "blowing the doors off him"...

Side note, it is pretty funny that people are fawning all over Darwin but this kid is being largely ignored...I get it, it's KC offense v BUF offense, but there exists just as many avenues towards volume/production for Devin as Darwin...and I am not seeing a big talent gap between the two of them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I don't know Stevie, I think it's awfully early to pronounce that McCoy is "blowing the doors off him"...

Side note, it is pretty funny that people are fawning all over Darwin but this kid is being largely ignored...I get it, it's KC offense v BUF offense, but there exists just as many avenues towards volume/production for Devin as Darwin...and I am not seeing a big talent gap between the two of them?

Chiefs vs Bills.   Mahomes vs Allen.  Andy Reid’s noted history turning any back into a rb1.   McCoy, Gore, Yeldon could all get run before Singletary behind a questionable line. 

Many reasons.   Which one do you prefer?    To me Darwin has much better upside. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Chiefs vs Bills.   Mahomes vs Allen.  Andy Reid’s noted history turning any back into a rb1.   McCoy, Gore, Yeldon could all get run before Singletary behind a questionable line. 

Many reasons.   Which one do you prefer?    To me Darwin has much better upside. 

Don't get me wrong, I dig Darwin...I am just not sure there is any meat on that bone with where he has vaulted to in drafts? I am much more into Devin given the gap in ADP.

For those who still refuse to watch his preseason play, and just to illustrate how unimpressive Singletary's burst and athleticism is...

Tom Brady: 7.20 3cone, 4.38 shuttle

Devin Singletary: 7.32 3cone, 4.40 shuttle

🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

For those who still refuse to watch his preseason play

https://youtu.be/7-ZikhYJh50?t=99

- solid catch from a high throw, breaks the tackle for an extra 5 yds and the 1st down

- storms through a collapsing line for 6 yards

- next play the line collapses a yard before the LoS and yet he picks up 7 yards (and the 1st down)

- next play a short screen pass on 3rd and 10, he gets close to the 1st down and just breaks through the tackles again.

Absolutely rock solid. Color me impressed, this is the kind of stuff I want to see from a rookie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

- solid catch from a high throw, breaks the tackle for an extra 5 yds and the 1st down

- next play the line collapses a yard before the LoS and yet he picks up 7 yards (and the 1st down)

- next play a short screen pass on 3rd and 10, he gets close to the 1st down and just breaks through the tackles again.

Absolutely rock solid. Color me impressed, this is the kind of stuff I want to see from a rookie.

Basically he's not that fast for someone of his BMI (but there are some outliers that have been NFL starters though, like John Conner).  His vision is solid, he can break tackles occasionally but always manages to get that extra yard or two out of a run.  Basically Singletary does everything else well to make up for his lack of straight line speed.

He'd be an exception if he ended up being a feature back with his measurables, but they do come around every so often.  Priest Holmes had an awful combine (ran a 4.7). There have been similar 3rd down backs like Dave Megget.  He was a similar height, 25 pounds lighter and ran a similar 40 to Singletary.  

16 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Basically he's not that fast for someone of his BMI (but there are some outliers that have been NFL starters though, like John Conner).  His vision is solid, he can break tackles occasionally but always manages to get that extra yard or two out of a run.  Basically Singletary does everything else well to make up for his lack of straight line speed.

He'd be an exception if he ended up being a feature back with his measurables, but they do come around every so often.  Priest Holmes had an awful combine (ran a 4.7). There have been similar 3rd down backs like Dave Megget.  He was a similar height, 25 pounds lighter and ran a similar 40 to Singletary.  

Mark Ingram had a 4.62 40, 7.13 3 cone and 4.62 shuttle:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mark-ingram?id=2495466

I don't look at the combine results at all. I've already shown my stats in several threads; there is just not a lot of correlation between combine and NFL results. For RBs a bit more than for WRs, but still, it's fairly useless to me, and I'd much rather invest 5 minutes in finding out if a guy can run between the tackles, if he performed with a bad O-line, if he can pass-block, etc. Singletary may not be a combine star, but I see exactly the kind of skills that the Bills will need, and that's key.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Mark Ingram had a 4.62 40, 7.13 3 cone and 4.62 shuttle:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mark-ingram?id=2495466

Right, so he basically had better numbers even though he was 15 pounds heavier.  His career has kind of sucked considering his draft position imo.

I don't look at the combine results at all. I've already shown my stats in several threads; there is just not a lot of correlation between combine and NFL results.

In the past 10 years, there have been 32 running backs that have run a 40 yard dash time of 4.7 or over and have been on a NFL team.  Only 5 of the 32 have been drafted.  I guess these teams are missing out on something.

If you're doing something like just taking combine scores, or SPARQ scores you aren't going to get much of a correlation.  If you combine some more meaningful factors along WITH combine scores, you might be on to something.  

I'd much rather invest 5 minutes in finding out if a guy can run between the tackles, if he performed with a bad O-line, if he can pass-block, etc

Why not both?

Singletary may not be a combine star, but I see exactly the kind of skills that the Bills will need, and that's key.

He does a lot of things right from what little I've seen.  Generally I like to combine all of that stuff together, but when in doubt I just watch them play.  

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:51 AM, Corleone said:

But someone at pretty much the exact same size as Singletary managed to be the best RB in history. 

Jim Brown was only 5'7"?

Let's ignore talent for a minute (we've all take shots on less talented RBs before).

The main question you gotta ask yourself is: "Do I think will Shady get moved before the start of the season?" If you do, then 1) let me know and tell me why you think that and then 2) run, don't walk, and pick up Singletary wherever he's available. If you wait for more concrete buzz, it'll be too late.

A follow-up question is: "how long am I willing to hold Singletary and will the payoff be worth it?" Shady is bound to miss games but you never know when that'll be. Even then, you've got Gore who is better at everything Singletary does well (vision, pass pro, whatever) and likely isn't that much slower. Say you hold Singletary for 2 weeks before Shady goes down, but then he's in a timeshare with Gore. Is it worth it? What about 5 weeks? 8?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, claptondecheeks said:

Let's ignore talent for a minute (we've all take shots on less talented RBs before).

The main question you gotta ask yourself is: "Do I think will Shady get moved before the start of the season?" If you do, then 1) let me know and tell me why you think that and then 2) run, don't walk, and pick up Singletary wherever he's available. If you wait for more concrete buzz, it'll be too late.

A follow-up question is: "how long am I willing to hold Singletary and will the payoff be worth it?" Shady is bound to miss games but you never know when that'll be. Even then, you've got Gore who is better at everything Singletary does well (vision, pass pro, whatever) and likely isn't that much slower. Say you hold Singletary for 2 weeks before Shady goes down, but then he's in a timeshare with Gore. Is it worth it? What about 5 weeks? 8?

AP lost his starting job with the Saints by week 4, and he went on to have a career several years down the road.

If Singletary isn't the starter week 1 he will be by week 4

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Just becauseyou jazz up language with things like "storms" the line, doesn't mean he's fast. Even in the clip you posted, sure he can shake a guy, but looked how slow he is getting up to speed after...

Heres a condensed every touch of him week 1 https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-devin-singletary-touch-preseason-week-1

Posted (edited)

For comparison: here's a clip of McCoy, if you leave it running to the next clip its Singletary TD run next... The difference in speed is noticeable 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/lesean-mccoy-bounces-outside-for-21-yards

Getting back to the main point here... If you think the new, young, draftpick Singletary is taking this job because he's presumably more athletic, or faster/quicker than the older McCoy, you're wrong. He's smaller and slower.

Now... McCoy is old for an RB, yes, but he's still the more athletic back... BUT, being older he's more susceptible to injury and getting dinged up, like he has the last couple years.

If McCoy gets dinged up, okay we got meaningful playing time in a split with Frank Gore... But don't think for a second Singletary is taking over because he's a better physical talent -- huge difference. That's the point here.

Long term, I dont see him as a feature back, but rather more like James White who Bills Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll used to have on the Patriots.... Just like how he wanted a guy like Cole Beasley to play that slot role the Pats do.

Sure, Singletary can emerge due to injury, but with as things stand today, he's clearly back seat to McCoy from a physical standpoint even though McCoy is old.

Even if Singletary gets the playing time, i seriously doubt how effective her will be, especially if Gore is going to get goal line work. But i could be wrong on that.

Edited by StevieStats

Just wondering if the Bills are rebuilding why they would run with 30year old rb's and not see what they have in their new shiny toys?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hagen910 said:

Just wondering if the Bills are rebuilding why they would run with 30year old rb's and not see what they have in their new shiny toys?

same reason mlb teams don't waste that many innings on young arms when they aren't competing.

why burn up those shiny new toys mileage? let the vets get some work and get beat up and ease the rookies in and give them a little bit more work as the season goes on. 

im sure the presence of a vet rb helps out a young team as well, pass pro, ect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

same reason mlb teams don't waste that many innings on young arms when they aren't competing.

why burn up those shiny new toys mileage? let the vets get some work and get beat up and ease the rookies in and give them a little bit more work as the season goes on. 

im sure the presence of a vet rb helps out a young team as well, pass pro, ect.

That's not what happens in the NFL tho.

Coaches play for their job. McDermott has got to have the hottest seat in the NFL this year.

If they go 0-2, which they will, he will need to shake things up. I didn't see the browns resting Chubb after they were eliminated from playoff contention.

And young pitchers often fall apart completely if they are brought in too early, young RBs are pretty much as good as they're gonna get in their first year.

11 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

He's like the anti-TevinColeman.

20 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

That's not what happens in the NFL tho.

Coaches play for their job. McDermott has got to have the hottest seat in the NFL this year.

If they go 0-2, which they will, he will need to shake things up. I didn't see the browns resting Chubb after they were eliminated from playoff contention.

And young pitchers often fall apart completely if they are brought in too early, young RBs are pretty much as good as they're gonna get in their first year.

understand but you have to think or I should say coaches have to think shady/gore give them best shot at winning games to open the season over a rookie. especially while they are healthy. big difference imo between easing a rookie in at the start of a season and shutting someone down like chubb for no reason.

while that is true most young super talents that isn't always the case especially for players that aren't as physically gifted as barkley ap Elliot ect

14 hours ago, StevieStats said:

For those who still refuse to watch his preseason play, and just to illustrate how unimpressive Singletary's burst and athleticism is...

Tom Brady: 7.20 3cone, 4.38 shuttle

Devin Singletary: 7.32 3cone, 4.40 shuttle

🤣

Clearly neither player should have been drafted, nor played a down of NFL football.

Hou/Jets looking for RB help apparently...anyone grabbing in case Shadys gone tomorrow?