Dirtbag

Kevon Looney 2019-2020 Outlook

What's everyone's thoughts on Looney? I read that Kerr wants him to play 30 mpg this year. I think he'll be an awesome late round pick .

I listened to a Gallagher podcast on him and I agree that he could be a flyer.  I think Kerr said *he could like to play him 30 MPG* no that he actually would.  Looney is capped by having asthma and other health issues.  Nevertheless I think he can be 10/10/1/1 60%/60% with only 1 TO.  That would be around top 100.  But just remember his upside is completely capped by health and not being a multi-cat producer.

• Like 3

I am sure that Stifle Tower2 knows information better, but I was really surprised that Looney was available at recent RW members mock draft last round. He should be drafted somewhere after 8th round.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, apatas said:

I am sure that Stifle Tower2 knows information better, but I was really surprised that Looney was available at recent RW members mock draft last round. He should be drafted somewhere after 8th round.

He's been available in the last round (13th) in 3 of my 4 ESPN 12 team leagues. I took a flier, hoping that he indeed plays 30 mpg

• Thanks 1

Took him for $1 last round for my auction draft. Not a bad option for backup C that can give you 10 pts 10 rebs 1 block and nice FG. 

The question is, can he produce better stats (or play more minutes) than starting center Willie Cauley Stein? Warriors have often used a center who had not played much minutes like Bogut or Pachulia. When I did a prerank I ranked WCS higher than Looney, but maybe I am wrong?

WCS and Looney time share, neither will be worth owning beyond the 12th in my opinion. Not to the mention that they could slot Draymond at C more and surprise us with a new lineup. Kerr said he'd love to play looney 30 minutes. The way that is phrased is almost clearly saying he very likely won't. No chance he avg a double double. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnval1362 said:

WCS and Looney time share, neither will be worth owning beyond the 12th in my opinion. Not to the mention that they could slot Draymond at C more and surprise us with a new lineup. Kerr said he'd love to play looney 30 minutes. The way that is phrased is almost clearly saying he very likely won't. No chance he avg a double double. 

I agree. Also he has asthma.  He medically can’t play more than 25 mpg. 

He's watch and see for me. I think if he and WCS got the same amount of minutes I'd rather have Looney, but I'll wait and see if he produces first. There are other decent late-round centers available like Zeller, Powell, Ibaka, ZCollins, Javale, maybe Len. 

• Like 3

I love this kid. Have watched him a ton and he's just a really smart player . Has a better mid range than people realise too.

I think it'll be a time share situation with Willie, but dare say it'll be Kev that ends games due to his ability to switch onto guards in PnRs 

*Disclaimer - I may be one of the only people in the word that owns a Looney Jersey so take whatever I say with a grain of salt 

Edited by Quazza

Warriors dont have the death lineup anymore (Iggy as the 4 made that work) so they may start playing a more traditional 5 man team.

Even with the WCS timeshare and just 25 mpg, Kevon being more versed in their system (he is also a smart player) should give him an edge and the opportunity for a 2016 gorgui season (10 ppg on 50%+ fg, 7 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg, 1.2 bpg) albeit with worse ft.

Locked in as a value pick glue guy in the 100s assuming health IMO

21 minutes ago, a-rob said:

I was looking at this guy as sleeper pick late in the draft, this information will make me pass on him. 

Yeah he’s tiny for a center, around 6’9”/225.  There are other bigs his height but they are bulkier.  He projected to be a four in the pros but asthma and lack of conditioning led him to be a five so he wouldn’t have to guard stretch fours.  To his credit, he maximizes his talent, proved skeptics wrong...sort of.  He’s capped at around 25 mpg.  Can be a decent last pick but I thought I’d pump the brakes before it gets out of hand and people start calling him a top 75 prospect.  He was 139th on totals but has basically been around 200 in per game his entire career.  With an increased role I think 9/9/1/1 with 60/60 splits and one TO would be a real accomplishment.  He has an outside shot at top 100 but that’s about it.

Edited by StifleTower2

I don’t get Gallagher’s fascination with him. His high school scouting reports had me intrigued that he’s a skilled Lamar Odom like forward, he mostly looks like a Udonis Haslem type. 

The warriors will still play Dray at the 5 some, WCS will have more value than people think, so I can’t see how he does anything significant. 

I avoid timeshares unless I know the backup or starter are clearly far better than the other and will eventually win out, the Warriors aren’t a team historically under Kerr who care for their bigs, it’s a guard oriented system.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 3:36 AM, apatas said:

The question is, can he produce better stats (or play more minutes) than starting center Willie Cauley Stein? Warriors have often used a center who had not played much minutes like Bogut or Pachulia. When I did a prerank I ranked WCS higher than Looney, but maybe I am wrong?

7 hours ago, apatas said:

So it means WCS is more valuable than Looney?

I gotta question Yahoo's ranking of WCS. As Josh Lloyd has reiterated several times in recent podcasts, and I've already thought about it myself, even when WCS was the best center option on the Kings playing as an uncontested starter and building block piece, he was never in the top 100 in 9-cat. He's also never averaged over a block a game, and he's only gotten worse at FT% for 3 straight seasons, and his blocks have never been trending upwards as time has gone on.

Per possession, Kevon is a way better rebounder and shot blocker, and consistently has way higher FG%, and they're comparable in everything else. 

Hashtag b-ball as well as BBM project Looney with equal or more minutes than WCS, so given all that, if they're given similar minutes I'd be betting on Looney having better fantasy production because he's better stats-wise.

If even on his best day WCS has never been T100, and I don't see him getting more than his usual 27-28 mpg with Looney and Draymond around, I don't see him getting better in his current role.

With all that said, I reiterate above that Looney is my wait & see guy for late-round centers unless I'm in a very deep league

Edited by s-kayos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So one of the warriors pages I'm on said - he said he's been working on his 3 and Kerr has given him the green light to shoot them 

Goes hand in hand with my post earlier saying he's a better shooter than people realise 

I'm super high on him this year. my strategy is to hold off until late in the draft and try in the 11th/12th round but if someone else grabs him earlier then that I'll live with that.

11 minutes ago, freddo said:

I'm super high on him this year. my strategy is to hold off until late in the draft and try in the 11th/12th round but if someone else grabs him earlier then that I'll live with that.

i think he be un-drafted in my league

10 hours ago, therealmikeshinoda said:

green light to shoot doesn't mean he's a better shooter ...

It kind of does though, if an NBA coach decides you are ready to let it fly during games it isn't going to be because you can't shoot or haven't improved there.
At least on competitive teams, it's a different story for those that are tanking or just letting their young guns do whatever to test them out.

11 hours ago, therealmikeshinoda said:

green light to shoot doesn't mean he's a better shooter ...

Right, it actually means lower FG% but it's good to know that he is a major puzzle piece in rotation. 

I honestly think he is a better fit than WCS. 

WCS will miss training camp due to a foot strain. Dunno if it will linger into the season but I'm about put the late round high beams on Looney if so.

Edited by s-kayos
  • Like 1

Nothing to see here folks.  The guy has asthma, upside is capped.  No value to be had.  Move along now, you don't want to waste your late pick on a 60% FT shooting roleplayer.  

Yep, no way I'm drafting this guy....

4f4b7b8cce3a920b9263179cb28d7c822cdfaa49 

/s

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 80version said:

Nothing to see here folks.  The guy has asthma, upside is capped.  No value to be had.  Move along now, you don't want to waste your late pick on a 60% FT shooting roleplayer.  

Yep, no way I'm drafting this guy....

4f4b7b8cce3a920b9263179cb28d7c822cdfaa49 

/s

Well now he goes from a top 130 guy to a top 100 guy.  Btw I don’t think you know what “capped upside” means, it doesn’t mean he’s unrosterable.  Unless you think he will be a top 50 player now?  I’d like to see that in writing.