Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

Just now, pbjfb said:

I still think it will be jarlin

He came in in the 7th inning today, just not seeing him being the guy.  Such a disaster!

6 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Easy, in roto leagues a handful of saves could be 3-4 points in competitive leagues.

They don't count walks and whip against you?

• Like 1

How long of a leash do we think Rodgers has now that Romo is in town?

1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

Yes, but even a blowup at this point in the season isn't a disaster.  Most teams have accumulated somewhere around 1000 IP so far.  So even if your "closer" gives up 3 Runs and 4 Hits without recording an out, it doesn't change ERA/WHIP by that much.

If your team has a 3.50 ERA so far this season in 1000 IP, that's 388 runs given up.  So giving up 3 runs without recording an out brings that up to 391 or a ERA of 3.52.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Any idea in Miami?  Stanek gets another chance? Austin Brice? someone else?

I’m holding Stanek for another week or so. I think they traded for him with the goal of him becoming their closer and will give him the opportunity to grab it. Whether he succeeds or not is another story.

1 hour ago, fatbob166 said:

He has earned another implosion or two.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fatbob166 said:

Rogers was in a tough spot today, he threw 31 pitches yesterday for the 6 out save, and the Twins throw him out there again against the top of the Indians lineup. He's been the their most reliable arm this season, doubt the Twins will just cast him aside. 

His numbers are also pretty elite this season.

Edited by michaelai3

2 hours ago, Stallion said:

My gut tells me Ken Giles is gonna get shut down for the season.

Jays wanted to trade him at the deadline and have no reason to risk his arm when he's not fully healthy.

I don’t think owners can depend on him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B&F said:

I mean LJ did pitch a scoreless inning today for the Braves.  He should get the next save opp.

I usually have a pretty good read on the Braves and I have no idea what they’ll do in the pen next.  I’d guess melancon, but any one of 4 guys wouldn’t be a surprise 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fatbob166 said:

Am I the only one who read this, thought I'd warped into the football forum, wondered when in the world Tony Romo signed with GB, and then wondered why in the world he'd be a thread to Aaron Rodgers at all? Lol. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

He's getting used in the 7th inning and isn't getting anyone out.

Neither is anyone else in that bullpen. He's still got the best numbers in the last month, 1.86era/0.93whip, 9k:3bb/9ip. I could be wrong but I think they were just putting him in when they were losing because he hasn't been getting much work (only 3.2 ip in the last 2 weeks) 

6 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Of course they do. But the fact that Edwin Diaz is a Top 250 player on the season should tell you how valuable saves are. 

9 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I don’t think owners can depend on him

Ready to drop for law.  Giles is killing his owners rights nowright now

New Player Note Sun, Aug 11

Ken Giles (elbow) played catch Sunday and will not be placed on the injured list for the time being.

Advice: Giles hasn't pitched since Wednesday because of his nagging elbow issue, but he felt well enough Sunday to convince the Blue Jays he doesn't need an IL stint. It's not clear whether he's available to pitch Sunday, though, and he'll remain a sketchy fantasy bet for the upcoming week. Derek Law has been filling in at closer.

More: Shi Davidi on Twitter     (Rotoworld.com)

This is a tough call. We are at the point of the season where many owners simply do not have time to take a wait and see approach. If you are already in the playoffs I think Giles is a pretty easy drop. Our playoffs are a few weeks out so I'm going to hold and see what happens this week. He's certainly #1 on the chopping block for me though. At a minimum Giles owners should be handcuffing him with Laws if he's available and you have a spot available.

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

how stable do you think the  situations are in seattle and colorado for bass and oberg?

Not very for Bass.  Oberg is fine.

On 8/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, bradwatson said:

Leclerc with a clean save. Was pumping 98-98 mph gas and looked really good. He back.

98-98 mph...glad to see he's varying speeds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Palmetto08 said:

I’m surprised there’s no talk of Hand’s back-to-back wins aka meltdowns. 

Personally, despite his struggles over the last month+, I think his role as the closer is safe. The Indians just moved into first place and that has a lot to do with him saving 29 games for them this season. They’ll almost certainly give him the day off as he went back to back and pitched 4 games in the last 6 days in which he has thrown 89 pitches. 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, kidtwentytwo said:

Smoltz was used as a Rp because he was coming back from surgery 

Yeah, pretending like he pitched in the bullpen because of anything other than a desire to limit his innings due to health issues is some major league level re-writing of history.  

Their current bullpen lacks any good strategy beyond "grab some mediocre arms, throw them out and see if something sticks."  They better not have given up any long-term assets for disposable arms like Greene.

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

They better not have given up any long-term assets for disposable arms like Greene.

sorry for the off topic post but the Tigers got:

SP Joey Wentz 21y/o - No. 7 prospect in the Braves organization.  5-8 with a 4.72 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP in 20 starts this season in AA (1-0 2.70 with Erie)

OF Travis Demeritte 24 y/o - not among the top-30 prospects. .286 with 20HR & 74 RBIs in 96 games this year in Triple-A.  30th pick in the 2013 MLB draft