Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

I guess with Melancon getting bailed out, it should be considered more of a committee than Melancon's job. (right?)

Posted (edited)

Uh. Did we miss something? Closer Monkey has Justin Wilson as the #1 guy for the Mets.

I guess they're just dart throwing like the rest of us though.

edit: ok yeah. it's a dart throw

Pump the brakes on the Seth Lugo bandwagon after Wednesday night’s five-run abomination. Using Lugo in the seventh inning of a one-run game meant someone else was getting the save chance anyway, probably Justin Wilson. Lugo wasn’t exactly smacked around, giving up a walk and a handful of singles, but Mickey Callaway’s eagerness to use his best reliever early on makes it impossible for you to trust Lugo for saves. Our guess is Wilson gets the next shot. (emphasis added)

Edited by Fiveohnine

25 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I guess with Melancon getting bailed out, it should be considered more of a committee than Melancon's job. (right?)

FWIW our local radio station just had Chris Dimino (Atlanta sports radio) on and he said he thinks it's Melancon's job.  Said if Snitiker changes his mind after naming Melancon the starter a week ago it would show desperation.  

I think we continue to see Melancon in save situations going forward.

39 minutes ago, Palmetto08 said:

FWIW our local radio station just had Chris Dimino (Atlanta sports radio) on and he said he thinks it's Melancon's job.  Said if Snitiker changes his mind after naming Melancon the starter a week ago it would show desperation.  

I believe he named him the "closer." 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Uh. Did we miss something? Closer Monkey has Justin Wilson as the #1 guy for the Mets.

I guess they're just dart throwing like the rest of us though.

edit: ok yeah. it's a dart throw

Lugo is out forever after last nights gutless performance...if Diaz struggles again ( he has all season), then Wilson is the logical choice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Palmetto08 said:

This is exactly why some managers don't like to name a closer when a bullpen is in flux and instead say something like "we have a lot of guys who can do the job". When the guy you name fails right away then it gets awkward.

• Like 2

The Braves closer will be the first guy who doesn’t eat donkey.  I don’t think Snit has any favors, he just wants someone to get the job done

Also noticed that Melancon has pitched 4 out of the last 5 days, 7 of the past 11. Dude must be tired, so maybe it contributed to the blow ups. He's not gonna pitch for the next couple of days but I can see him getting another chance after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Lugo is out forever after last nights gutless performance...if Diaz struggles again ( he has all season), then Wilson is the logical choice.

What does is say to your team if you pull the plug on a guy after one bad outing despite being excellent the entire season?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, street sharks said:

What does is say to your team if you pull the plug on a guy after one bad outing despite being excellent the entire season?

wasn't he the relief pitcher of the month for july?...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

He will pitch just not the ninth

11 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

He will pitch just not the ninth

i will lay you 2-1 that he does pitch again in the 9th this year in a save situation...friendly c-note?

• Like 1

The Mets bullpen is in complete flux and Lugo remains their best reliever. Whether or not management thinks he’s more valuable in the 7th & 8th role is the question. 

17 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

i will lay you 2-1 that he does pitch again in the 9th this year in a save situation...friendly c-note?

No because I held leclerc all year and then dropped him...he instantly became one of the best closers in the game right now. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Couldn't be further from reality.

1 hour ago, y2jbones said:

The Mets bullpen is in complete flux and Lugo remains their best reliever.

Karma for the GM flat out stating that he traded for Edwin Diaz in order to block the Phillies from getting him. And he lost Jarred Kelenic and Justin Dunn to boot.

I read the Dodgers want to rest Jansen. So throw him in a losing effort at Miami? Ok. 

By the Dodgers announcers Kenley had asked to be worked more regularly. To many blowouts and he wants more work.

Apparently the Dodgers are treating the rest of the season like spring training, and scheduling when Jansen will pitch.  Game situations mean nothing.

Is there anyone with a longer leash than Diaz? 

The guy is like a cat with nine lives in the closer spot no matter how badly he's been this year.

2 hours ago, saab93boi said:

Is there anyone with a longer leash than Diaz? 

The guy is like a cat with nine lives in the closer spot no matter how badly he's been this year.

Considering what the moron Mets gave up to get him, they have no choice. All they can hope now is he work out/through his issues.

• Like 1

Romo in to close for the Twins, Rogers came in for the 8th (17 pitches).