Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

This is an extremely darkhorse candidate but since the Marlins don’t really have a clear favorite right now, I’ll throw Jeff Brigham’s name out there. Another failed starter type, I’ve always liked his arm out of the bullpen. Just pitched the 11th of a 4-4 game. 97 mph fastball, good breaking ball. 1-2-3 inning with 2 K’s right now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 9703 said:

This is an extremely darkhorse candidate but since the Marlins don’t really have a clear favorite right now, I’ll throw Jeff Brigham’s name out there. Another failed starter type, I’ve always liked his arm out of the bullpen. Just pitched the 11th of a 4-4 game. 97 mph fastball, good breaking ball. 1-2-3 inning with 2 K’s right now.

Austin Brice is another good one

34 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

The Marlins really aren't as bad as everyone thinks..

Not as bad?
2nd worse run scoring team in the league,
You think everyone thought they are the worst?

34 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

They can sneak up on you.

If you can't use a pitcher against the 2nd worse run scoring team in the league, because they can sneak up on you, that why you have the guy?

Dyson should never close, doesn't have the mental make up for it, sucked in Texas, couldn't get the job done in SF when Melancon got injured and today lost a game  the Twins had no business in losing

I really wish they would stop trying to use Hader for two inning saves. It’s beginning to wear him down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I really wish they would stop trying to use Hader for two inning saves. It’s beginning to wear him down.

he got pulled, in comes Jay Jackson (who?).

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

he got pulled, in comes Jay Jackson (who?).

Right?  That’s a quick hook for Hader who gives up a leadoff walk and a 2 run tater to Chapman. Chapman was all over that first pitch. Gotta figure this is just a rough patch for one of the most dominate relievers in the game. 

• Like 1

3rd straight game. Hader wasn't going 2 innings. He was just being used for Chapman/Olson and he got rocked. 

Clean save for Hendricks, finally.  I would guess that loosens the leash a little bit.  Treinen still on his heels though.

Posted (edited)

Yeah. Hendriks really needed that clean inning, 2 K save. I think making the all-star team also lengthened his leash a bit over Treinen.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JCD said:

Not as bad?
2nd worse run scoring team in the league,
You think everyone thought they are the worst?

If you can't use a pitcher against the 2nd worse run scoring team in the league, because they can sneak up on you, that why you have the guy?

The Marlins had an awful start fielding a historically bad offense.

Since they called up guys like Harold Ramirez and got Garrett Cooper healthy, they’ve been a little more respectable. They’re 32-34 since starting 10-31. Plus, even bad teams win games and get saves. Romo had 17.

Edited by 9703
  • Like 3

Hold onto your butts:

Right-hander Jesse Chavez earned the save Wednesday night with a scoreless ninth inning, but only because Jose Leclerc was given extended rest after working the final three days of the Oakland series last weekend.

If the Rangers have a save opportunity Friday in the opener of a three-game series against the Detroit Tigers, Leclerc could get the ball.

“I can honestly say that,” Woodward said. “I can say that will all confidence, and he will get an opportunity. Probably soon. I have no problem putting him back in there.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article233401097.html

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Any news on Kelley and when he may be back? I know this is a risky pickup since Leclerc has destroyed our ratios before but saves are saves and he has been good in the role once before. Although, this year he’s been a mental midget in the 9th. Just trying to figure out if I should make the add. 

12 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Any news on Kelley and when he may be back? I know this is a risky pickup since Leclerc has destroyed our ratios before but saves are saves and he has been good in the role once before. Although, this year he’s been a mental midget in the 9th. Just trying to figure out if I should make the add. 

Leclerc was absolutely awful at the start of the season. He's been really good since then before this recent blow up, which Woodward excused as him being overused. I'm giving him one more chance...

Oh who am I kidding? I can't quit this guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you are desperate and picked up Adam Morgan in hopes of getting a stray save with Neris suspended (like this guy), he apparently just went on the DL. No clue who would get the call tonight should an opp arise. The rotting corpse of Blake Parker? Nick Pivetta? I should probably just stay away.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Jimenez should be closing out games for the Tigers ROS. 

key word "should"

5 minutes ago, MayorMcCheese said:

Is Oberg a must-own now?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Depends on your league-type I guess, I bet Davis gets another shot if he shows something. 

Posted (edited)

Davis still has two more years and 32 mil (for ages 34-35) on his contract. What an absolutely atrocious re-signing by the Rockies.

Edited by JameisofThrones

Goodbye Wade it's been nice

Hope you find your paradise 

Dont you turn back, dont you stay

We want you to go away!

• Like 1

Neris injured or unavailable?