Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, dinhead said:

Estaves did not pitch last night because he pitched the previous night and got 6 outs. Both pitchers stats are similar but Estaves was on the il for a bit. Close your eyes and throw a dart. I am praying that Estaves is the choice since i got him, but for sure Davis days in that role is over.

If Bud Black was smart he would use Estevez vs RHH and Diaz vs Lefties.  Estevez just cannot get lefties out for his life but is pretty effective vs RHH.  As what happens with FB/SL with poor FB command often.

But, that requires Bud Black to be a good manager. Soooooooooooooooooooooo. 

I'm just telling you that the usage has been favoring Diaz, and you can't count on Bud Black being logical. Take it for what it's worth.

Edited by Slatykamora

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

If Bud Black was smart he would use Estevez vs RHH and Diaz vs Lefties.  Estevez just cannot get lefties out for his life but is pretty effective vs RHH.  As what happens with FB/SL with poor FB command often.

But, that requires Bud Black to be a good manager. Soooooooooooooooooooooo. 

I'm just telling you that the usage has been favoring Diaz, and you can't count on Bud Black being logical. Take it for what it's worth.

As the super duo NELSON would say...only time will tell 

Held onto Stanek for weeks waiting for him to finally get any save opps with the Marlins and the end result is him blowing 2 saves in the past few days

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lorr said:

Kimbrel owners should add Wick as a handcuff 

Kimbrel's been great, why should we be handcuffing him?

19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Kimbrel's been great, why should we be handcuffing him?

Maybe “handcuff “ was the wrong word. Add Wick not as a replacement, but the Cubs are going to be careful and not over use Kimbrel, Wick would be a good add to cover all of the Cubs Saves

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wick saved the last couple. Strop got one a couple weeks ago. Cishek is back.  I think it could be anyone if Kimbrell is unavailable. Madden has been known to mix and match.

Edited by fletch44

Urena to close. I posed this question a few weeks back if it was possible and apparently it is. 

Per CBS Urena will take over closer in September, Stanek out. Their software won’t let me copy paste

If you’re in a deep save blood feud league run and grab him and ask questions later 

So is Workman still the man? Maybe the Sox just have not had many save ops lately or I am missing something

3 hours ago, CharlesHustle said:

So is Workman still the man? Maybe the Sox just have not had many save ops lately or I am missing something

Last save the Red Sox have is August 13. Workman blew that save and Cashner saved it. Nothing to worry about with Workman. 

Magill with another save for the M's last night.  Even after the horrific blown save a few days ago, Servais went right back to Magill for next save opp. He pitched a clean 1-2-3 inning with a K. Looks like he is the guy until he blows another one for those in blood thirsty saves leagues.  

Not only does Diaz give up a bomb in the 9th , then gives up a baserunner, then promptly leaves with an injury

lugo has got to be the man now

Curious how the Braves will handle the 9th.  Melancon seems like the guy but that was really because Shane Greene started off awful.  Greene seems locked in (SSS caveat) now.  Can't even play handedness since they are both RHP.  Snitker is pretty traditional so I'm guessing they'll stick with Melancon until he gives them a reason not to. 

Even if Melancon lost the job, I doubt it would be Greene. Jackson has been even better than Greene the last couple weeks for one thing. Jackson has also been the one setting up and handing the ball to Melancon. 

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Even if Melancon lost the job, I doubt it would be Greene. Jackson has been even better than Greene the last couple weeks for one thing. Jackson has also been the one setting up and handing the ball to Melancon. 

I'm not seeing where Jackson is setting up Melancon except for 1 game where Greene was unavailable?  Last 2 games in the LA series it was Greene setting up.  Then Green pitched a 3rd day in a row in the 8th again for a non save situation to start the Miami series.  They rested him 2 days after and then he came out in the 8th for the 1st Mets game of the series.  Jackson got to set up in extra innings due to Greene already taking the mound.  Last night Greene took the 9th in another non-save situation.  I feel Greene would take it back if Melancon implodes or gets injured.  The Braves have kept Greene involved in the back end of the game and he seems to finally have his head back on straight since the trade.

I said Jackson has been even better than Greene recently and also that he handed the ball to Melancon his last couple times out. But yeah. It's also true Greene had already pitched one scoreless inning with one hit on 8/23 before Jackson came in and pitched 2 scoreless with one hit in extra innings.

Someone said Greene has been good recently, which is true. But if the manager today had to make a change and also wanted to go with who's been better most recently it'd be Jackson.

4 hours ago, 4catztoomany said:

Curious how the Braves will handle the 9th.  Melancon seems like the guy but that was really because Shane Greene started off awful.  Greene seems locked in (SSS caveat) now.  Can't even play handedness since they are both RHP.  Snitker is pretty traditional so I'm guessing they'll stick with Melancon until he gives them a reason not to. 

Things are working well right now - Greene setting up and Melancon in the 9th. I doubt they'll change things up while it's working