Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

Magill looked impressive today, he for sure has the stuff to close.  Just a matter of maintaining control.

Posted (edited)

Blown save for Jairo Diaz. He gave up a one-out triple to Cervelli but it was not hit that hard and was kind of a Coors Field extra base hit, landed in the right spot. 

Edited by IvoryHunter

On 8/25/2019 at 6:39 PM, murraygd13 said:

Magill looked impressive today, he for sure has the stuff to close.  Just a matter of maintaining control.

Isn't that a little like saying he can drive, just a matter of getting a car?

4 hours ago, IvoryHunter said:

Blown save for Jairo Diaz. He gave up a one-out triple to Cervelli but it was not hit that hard and was kind of a Coors Field extra base hit, landed in the right spot. 

Literally every site has estevez at the front of the committee, yet he pitched in like the 6th or 7th the other day, then in the 8th today with Diaz getting the save opp...so much for estevez being at the head of the committee..lol

19 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I would assume the 'car' is a closing gig and 'steering the car' is having the stuff to be a closer. I guess maintaining control could be him having trouble staying awake at times while driving? lol

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, Fiveohnine said:

I was thinking just a matter of getting glasses :D

major-league_320.jpg?w=320&h=240&crop=1

• Like 1

Kennedy made it a bit interesting tonight, walking the leadoff batter and giving up a hit later, but still got the save.  Still a solid bounceback from his epic blown save/win on Sunday.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:28 PM, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Literally every site has estevez at the front of the committee, yet he pitched in like the 6th or 7th the other day, then in the 8th today with Diaz getting the save opp...so much for estevez being at the head of the committee..lol

Estevez pitching in the 7th today with his team down by a run.  Promptly gives up HR to Bogaerts.  Blah.

In re: Rockies

There hasn't been a save for COL since two weeks ago when Oberg got one, giving up one hit in a scoreless ninth. In that game, Diaz pitched a scoreless 7th and 8th, giving up only one hit. Diaz also got the save opp a few days ago, blew it and vultured the win.

I'm not sure where we ever got the idea it was Estevez in the first place, tbh.

Yates has had a less than impressive second half.  Think 1st half may have worn him out....

I know that Clase likely got the save last night because LeClerc was unavailable, but is it possible that Clase could become the closer, especially after how dominant he looked yesterday?  LeClerc has proven time and time again that he doesn't have the stomach or the control to be a closer?. Is it possible that LeClerc's latest disaster on Thursday could be the final straw?

Posted (edited)

After looking at Clase's numbers, no. I don't think it's possible. I think Shawn Kelley is still next in line in TEX. And if LeClerc and Kelley somehow got into a car accident together or something, I think it would be Montero and not Clase. It was nice for anyone that was able to get vulture last night's save, which was probably almost no one. But it was just a one run game last night when Kelley came on in the 6th. I still think he's the clear next in line.

Edited by Fiveohnine