Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

I know the Rangers don't have any great alternative options right now, especially with Kelley on the DL and Chris Martin traded, but even so I can't see LeClerc lasting long as closer.  He's proven time and time again that he doesn't have the control or the metal fortitude for the 9th inning.  Really struggling to even convert a save with a 3 run lead vs. Detroit's juggernaut of a lineup

• Thanks 1

LeClerc gave up 1 run due to a "wild pitch" that I think the catcher should've stopped. Had 2 strike counts for most of his hits and walks. I know he has a history of this, but if he didn't, I would call this outing unlucky (even tho he got the save)

I'm going to hold but I totally understand everyone who is over his volatility. His ballpark doesn't help.

• Like 1

Romo back out for the 9th to save the game. I assume Rogers is not available after going 3 straight. 

6 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Neris injured or unavailable?

Neris on the IL. They used Nicasio in the 9th but he blew it. It'll be interesting to see who they go with but I'm going to see if Pivetta gets lucky in the next few games. 

1 hour ago, JaJock said:

Neris on the IL. They used Nicasio in the 9th but he blew it. It'll be interesting to see who they go with but I'm going to see if Pivetta gets lucky in the next few games. 

Neris isn’t on the IL. He’s serving his 3 game suspension.

• Like 1

Holding Anderson while Bradley is available is tough, wish I had a crystal ball

You would think Bradley is the guy now but in Zona who the heck knows!

Of course same thing can be said about Tampa....

I'm holding Leclerc as well.  I know teams don't always do the thinks we feel they should, but if I'm Texas I'm forcing him into the role and giving him a long leash.  The team is out of it and playing for the future. Part of that future is figuring out if the guy you extended last year, with the golden arm, can close or not.  The only way you find that out is by letting him succeed or fail in that role going forward.  I'd even tell him he's the man ROS and see if that helps settle him down.  Losing games blows, but losses in a meaningless year can help set you up for winning games in the future.  Look at someone like Lucas Giollito as an example.  While he's a SP and not a closer, the  Chisox let him get blasted on the regular cuz they knew the only way to improve was to pitch, learn and develop.  If I'm the Rangers I'm doing the same and hoping that the light comes and the kid figures it out.  If he does the Rangers could have an elite closer on a team friendly contract for years to come, or as an asset to trade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Davis still has two more years and 32 mil (for ages 34-35) on his contract. What an absolutely atrocious re-signing by the Rockies.

I think he only has next year left (he signed a 3 yea deal) at the tidy sum of $18 million.   Still, that's a lot of coin for a mid 30's closer in Colorado.  Their bullpen signings in general the last few yeas have been atrocious.

19 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I think he only has next year left (he signed a 3 yea deal) at the tidy sum of $18 million.   Still, that's a lot of coin for a mid 30's closer in Colorado.  Their bullpen signings in general the last few yeas have been atrocious.

My bad, I was looking at vesting option in 2021 that kicks in with 30 games finished in 2020, which seems very unlikely at this point. Not as big as an albatross as I thought. The Giants were somehow maybe to move Melancon with similar money left with out eating any, so maybe there is hope for them. Not out of the question he could still be effective for someone else if the escapes Coors.

So much for Jarlin Garcia, Quijjada gave up a run too..no idea in the Marlins bullpen.  I guess hope Stanek comes back soon and they just install him as closer.  Yes, they all suck..but 4 or 5 saves the rest of the year might be all I need to win the league.

11 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

My bad, I was looking at vesting option in 2021 that kicks in with 30 games finished in 2020, which seems very unlikely at this point. Not as big as an albatross as I thought. The Giants were somehow maybe to move Melancon with similar money left with out eating any, so maybe there is hope for them. Not out of the question he could still be effective for someone else if the escapes Coors.

Damn, he has a vesting option?  I had no idea about that.  30 games finished means he won't be closing for anyone next year.  Certainly not in any full time capacity.  Who would let him finish 30 games and be on the hook for the option? 

As for Melancon, why on earth did the Braves take on all that money?  Seems foolish for a team that is concerned with payroll to do so. 

10 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

So much for Jarlin Garcia, Quijjada gave up a run too..no idea in the Marlins bullpen.  I guess hope Stanek comes back soon and they just install him as closer.  Yes, they all suck..but 4 or 5 saves the rest of the year might be all I need to win the league.

Yeah, have him rostered as well hoping he would run with the gig, but he just got bombed in the 8th..drop city for me

Shane Greene 0-for-1 in save opportunities as a Braves. Tigers so glad he didn't turn into a pumpkin before the deadline. Great strategy of losing almost every game for the last month so he wouldn't get exposed.

• Haha 2

Who is the Jays closer?

does luke jackson really not have his own page here or am i missing something?  nice for those who couldn't drop him this week but got the 3k win today.  cant complain about that. 

Posted (edited)

Leclerc looked confident pitching the 10th in a tie game and came away with the win.  Sounds/looks/feels like they are going to force the late innings to him to get him back to where they want him to be, which is performing like he has for most of the summer, only in the closer role.

Edited by Lebanasty
wrong inning

1 minute ago, Lebanasty said:

Leclerc looked confident pitching the 9th in a tie game and came away with the win.  Sounds/looks/feels like they are going to force the late innings to him to get him back to where they want him to be, which is performing like he has for most of the summer, only in the closer role.

Leclerc pitched the 10th

2 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

Leclerc pitched the 10th

Fixed. Doesn't change the point at all.

21 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

True.

I'm wondering if Chavez or Leclerc will get the next opportunity since they both pitched well.

11 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

Actually it changes a lot.  Top of the 9th inning in a tie game is typically when the home team's closer pitches.  The fact that Chavez, not LeClerc, pitched the 9th is a strong sign that LeClerc may have already lost the closer's role following his latest implosion on Friday.  

• Like 2

With today's extremely lukewarm reaction by Callaway to a question on Diaz's closer status, grabbing Lugo might not be a bad idea if he is still on your wire.....

1 hour ago, JameisofThrones said:

With today's extremely lukewarm reaction by Callaway to a question on Diaz's closer status, grabbing Lugo might not be a bad idea if he is still on your wire.....

I'm not familiar with Callaway, but has he been particularly vocal about anything other than wanting to fight a reporter?