Slatykamora

2019 August Closer Thread

15 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Are the A’s using Hendriks as an opener tomorrow? Second time Vasgersian says it on the Sunday Night broadcast, but I don’t see it anywhere else. 

I think he sees Kyle Hendricks starting against the A's and just made a mistake

2 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

I think he earned a pretty long leash with the Tigers. The Braves don't care what he did for them, they are in a pennant race. They need to pitch whomever is getting the job done.

Crazy to think that Melancon gets a shot to close? He has by far the most career saves from their bunch. He's been pitching fairly well this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codog24 said:

Crazy to think that Melancon gets a shot to close? He has by far the most career saves from their bunch. He's been pitching fairly well this season. 

Not crazy. They’re in a tight playoff race

5 hours ago, B&F said:

Is the seemingly impossible going to happen with Jackson regaining the closer's role?  

Melancon?

3 hours ago, ty5592 said:

Hendriks 1-2-3 9th 2 Ks. Two in a row. 

2 hours ago, 9703 said:

Are the A’s using Hendriks as an opener tomorrow? Second time Vasgersian says it on the Sunday Night broadcast, but I don’t see it anywhere else. 

Yep he is scheduled to be the "opener" tomorrow unless the manager changes his mind.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Thinking martin would be next in line, been very solid this year

They used Melancon in the 8th in a tied game last night and Jackson in the 10th in a tied game.

I'd put Martin behind those guys right now IMO.

Edited by Slatykamora

Posted (edited)

Chad Green in to try to close the 9th. Ottavio warming up in case Green has trouble.

Edited by Ace_King

Has eovaldi shown anything to be consider the closer? I know the Sox just lost 8 games in a row

1 hour ago, Kramjam24 said:

Has eovaldi shown anything to be consider the closer? I know the Sox just lost 8 games in a row

Last word was Workman is the closer. Obviously nothing changed.

16 minutes ago, Stoper54 said:

Any thoughts on pivetta? Seems to have reinvented himself.

He got a 2-inning save. He isn’t the closer.

The truth is that Brandon Workman has earned his keep in that role, and manager Alex Cora will most often pitch Eovaldi in the seventh or eighth inning when the game is on the line.

“We’re comfortable with Work, the way he’s throwing in the back end,” Cora said. “You look at the numbers, against lefties, against righties, what he’s done, it’s amazing. We’re comfortable with him there.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-using-brandon-workman-as-closer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yep he is scheduled to be the "opener" tomorrow unless the manager changes his mind.

Kyle Hendricks for the Cubs is starting in that game and Chris Bassitt is starting for Oakland. I don’t see it anywhere that Liam Hendriks is opening for Oakland. 

• Like 1

Bradley worth the pickup?  Any chance he closes for the rest of the season?  Arizona is still sniffing the playoffs.  I just don't see how they can ride with Holland.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, burty1 said:

Bradley worth the pickup?  Any chance he closes for the rest of the season?  Arizona is still sniffing the playoffs.  I just don't see how they can ride with Holland.

Definitely in my opinion. I don't see them going back to Holland if Bradley keeps performing well. He's looked really good so far in the role and has a nice month plus of great performance. My bet is he's the guy ros. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, burty1 said:

He should absolutely be owned in all save hungry leagues.

• Like 1

Anyone think Buck Farmer could get a shot to close for Detroit? He's got the best numbers in their pen and his peripherals back it up

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Anyone think Buck Farmer could get a shot to close for Detroit? He's got the best numbers in their pen and his peripherals back it up

If Jimenez starts blowing a couple for sure, hes clearly next in line IMO

Why do all sites have Martin after Greene despite Jackson and melancon’s usage recently?

17 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Why do all sites have Martin after Greene despite Jackson and melancon’s usage recently?

might be because he did close games in texas and has the best numbers out of the 3 guys

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting name to watch in the Arizona bullpen. Kevin Ginkel put up a 1.78 ERA and 63/14 k/bb ratio over 35 innings.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1

When asked Sunday whether Edwin Diaz was still his closer, Mets manager Mickey Callaway said that "we have to be open-minded" and "can’t lock ourselves in to one thing."

It's a departure from how Callaway has commented publicly on his closer situation, as he's previously always backed Diaz. While it's not exactly announcing a change in the ninth inning, it does sound like Seth Lugo might be in the mix for some saves. Diaz allowed two runs on Saturday and has been scored upon in four straight appearances. Meanwhile, Lugo is unscored upon since the beginning of July and hasn't allowed a hit in his last seven appearances.

RELATED: 

I've been holding onto Lugo for the ratio help in a few leagues.  This could be a huge boon to his value.  
Aug 4, 2019, 12:12 PM ET
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

Any update on Shawn Kelley, can't find anything. Dude is burning a roster spot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

There we go. Looks like activation this weekend if all goes well.