Sign in to follow this  
pbjfb

Travis Demeritte - OF/2B DET

What do you guys make of this guy? He was part of the trade for Shane green from Atlanta and it sounds like he might join the tigers as soon as this weekend according to Avila. He was a former 1st round 30th pick but at age 24 now made his way slowly even though he had been wRC+>100 at all levels, 137 this year in AAA with a little speed. His only problem is 28%k (11%swstr). Has 2b & ss on Yahoo but will probably get OF once he joins the tigers.

Went undrafted twice in Rule 5 drafts.  Total flyer throw in, ATL probably insisted even.  They want to move on and open up a spot in AAA for a prospect.  Detroit can give the kid the ROS in Castellanos' spot in RF I guess.  Detroit's minor league is that barren positionally.   

• Thanks 1

He's a nice flyer for Det.  Scouting reports say his defense in the infield and outfield is fine(neither good nor bad).  He's got real bat speed and strong hands that provide easy power, but obviously plenty of swing and miss with his long swing.  The terrific results in the high minors this year have followed a shortened swing, so it's possible this talented prospect has finally made the necessary adjustment to be a solid all-around mlb player.

I have a feeling we'll know a lot more after a week of seeing him in a major league lineup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Went undrafted twice in Rule 5 drafts.  Total flyer throw in, ATL probably insisted even.  They want to move on and open up a spot in AAA for a prospect.  Detroit can give the kid the ROS in Castellanos' spot in RF I guess.  Detroit's minor league is that barren positionally.   

Oh really? I didn't realize he went undrafted twice, and then he went in the first round? Where do you get that information. I don't understand why he never got a shot to move up to the big leagues faster, seems he's been pretty good in the minors

i would have bet money that there was a thread for this guy when he was with the rangers. pretty sure @FouLLine was talking him up. don't see the thread now, but maybe it was archived due to inactivity?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Oh really? I didn't realize he went undrafted twice, and then he went in the first round? Where do you get that information. I don't understand why he never got a shot to move up to the big leagues faster, seems he's been pretty good in the minors

Rule 5 draft is when a player is kept in the minors too long without being on a 40 man roster. If the player is good enough a MLB team can pluck them from a team and they can play him for the entire season on the MLB roster and take his rights from the original organization.

Essentially, it's being said Demeritte wasn't good enough to be plucked away by other organizations.

I'm a buyer. I think he's hit well in AAA so far and don't see why not as a potential flier. Maybe he hits in the majors maybe he doesn't. He had prospect hype a few years back and maybe we'll stumble into a post hype success story. If he gets promoted and gets playing time, there's probably worse spec adds out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't thought about him in a few years, since I wrote this scouting report: 

Travis Demeritte (Braves) 2B age 23

tools galore

needs refinement

probably too much refinement

super helpful, I know 😁

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 11:21 AM, osb_tensor said:

i would have bet money that there was a thread for this guy when he was with the rangers. pretty sure @FouLLine was talking him up. don't see the thread now, but maybe it was archived due to inactivity?

Yeah I may have made a thread on him awhile ago?  I do remember mentioning him on here when he was going off in Advanced A a couple years ago when Texas traded him to Atlanta mid season.