sjm76

Sam Darnold 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

It would be dumb for the Jets to sit a player that is medically cleared to play. 

And I would bet he plays the next 3 weeks. He is already cleared to practice. It's just a matter of getting the green light from the doctors which could come any day. That day may be after the Eagles game but LOL at thinking he will sit out the next 3 weeks despite already healthy enough to practice. 

Healthy enough to practice without getting hit is not close to playing - getting the green light to take hits is way more serious than practicing in a red shirt....Sam said himself that as of Monday his spleen is still enlarged - a bad hit when it's enlarged at all could do serious damage...IMO they will not risk it if there is any enlargement whatsoever and from what I have read it is doubtful to shrink that quick....anything is possible but I'd be shocked if he played this week....next 2 up in the air but I think the Jets take the ultra conservative route on this one.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Healthy enough to practice without getting hit is not close to playing - getting the green light to take hits is way more serious than practicing in a red shirt....Sam said himself that as of Monday his spleen is still enlarged - a bad hit when it's enlarged at all could do serious damage...IMO they will not risk it if there is any enlargement whatsoever and from what I have read it is doubtful to shrink that quick....anything is possible but I'd be shocked if he played this week....next 2 up in the air but I think the Jets take the ultra conservative route on this one.....

Bingo.  An enlarged spleen doesn't resolve in 2 days.  One hit to his left side and he could have emergency surgery to have it removed.  I don't think they're risking him.  He's going to be in a non-contact red jersey and have a protective bubble around him.  Any defensive guy that hits him will have to run 20 laps. 

• Like 1

Mono also just drains the s--- out of you, I'd be surprised if he is in game shape. (Then again, I didn't have millions invested in me with mono, maybe millionaire mono is more contained lol)

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

Bingo.  An enlarged spleen doesn't resolve in 2 days.  One hit to his left side and he could have emergency surgery to have it removed.  I don't think they're risking him.  He's going to be in a non-contact red jersey and have a protective bubble around him.  Any defensive guy that hits him will have to run 20 laps. 

No, unless it's been enlarged for weeks already and is on the path to being back to normal. 

Put it simply, the spleen will be enlarged every day until it is not. So there will be a day that it is considered enlarged (he can't play) and then a day when it MAGICALLY is not. That can happen 2 days from today or days from Sunday or 2 days from next Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reports from Gase that Darnold took the majority of first team snaps today in practice.  Not sure if there was any contact yet or if he's been cleared. Is Gase just trying to be coy and keeping Philly guessing?  Will wait to hear what the beat reporters saw...

Just now, CooL said:

Reports from Gase that Darnold took the majority of first team snaps today in practice.  Not sure if there was any contact yet or if he's been cleared. Is Gase just trying to be coy and keeping Philly guessing?  Will wait to hear what the beat reporters saw...

I'm sure Gase wants Darnold to get the reps so he's ready as soon as he's cleared for contact. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CooL said:

It would be malpractice to put your young franchise type QB out there if there is the slightest chance of taking a big hit to the spleen area.

Gase knows the reps are not going to make much difference for Luke Falk and his short passing and dump offs.

I doubt it's up to Adam Gase whether he plays or not.   Looks like a lot of posturing about Sam playing on Sunday. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

It would be malpractice to put your young franchise type QB out there if there is the slightest chance of taking a big hit to the spleen area.

Gase knows the reps are not going to make much difference for Luke Falk and his short passing and dump offs.

I doubt it's up to Adam Gase whether he plays or not.   Looks like a lot of posturing about Sam playing on Sunday. 

Agreed - I know the Jets feel the season slipping away but playoffs are a pipe dream.....need to be 100% sure on this one and if it means another week or 2 I hope they are more conservative as he's the franchise.....as for Falk....all the 1st tea snaps or none wont change the destruction on Sunday if Sam doesnt play....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smeeze said:

He looks normal because nobody is allowed to hit him in practice.

• Like 1

Just now, Brooklyn Dude said:

He looks normal because nobody is allowed to hit him in practice.

Also because you can't look at someone and tell if their spleen is enlarged

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

lol....here is a video of Sam Darnold shifting his feet around and throwing what looks to be a somewhat accurate pass.  "HE's READY FOLKS!"  Gotta love the NY media hype machine.  

• Haha 1

And wasn’t there a report yesterday that he hasn’t even begun to lift weights again? I don’t see how he goes out there without being back to 100%.

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

And wasn’t there a report yesterday that he hasn’t even begun to lift weights again? I don’t see how he goes out there without being back to 100%.

Not buying that he plays this week.  Even if he does...ugh.  I can see him starting to pick up where he left off at Week 7ish maybe Week 8.  Darnold might end up just being a great backend fantasy QB for us. 

6 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Not buying that he plays this week.  Even if he does...ugh.  I can see him starting to pick up where he left off at Week 7ish maybe Week 8.  Darnold might end up just being a great backend fantasy QB for us. 

Just look at their schedule going forward. He's going to finish the season on an absolute tear IMO

• Like 4

I heard a rumor that Darnold had a spleen transplant this week.  The spleen was a hybrid of a catalytic converter and a chimp's spleen.  Source: Same place that has Diggs being traded to New England.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it is a well known fact, if you don't lift weights you don't play that week

• Haha 1

He's not supposed to lift a 10 lb dumbbell and he's gonna play an NFL football game in 3 days.  K.