AnonymousRob

Isan Diaz 2019 Outlook

17 minutes ago, dfstout said:

IIIIIIIIISSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That escalated really quickly lmao 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deke said:

Also would have had a steal in game 1 had it not been for Cooper getting called for batter interference. CS in game 2 though.

Correction:
He had a steal attempt, and no one can tell if he would have been caught or not.

2 hours ago, JCD said:

Correction:
He had a steal attempt, and no one can tell if he would have been caught or not.

Certainly looked like an easy stolen base live. Not sure if the best throw possible gets him, he was dragging his cup across the bag 1.5 seconds before the ball got there. It was a massive jump. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoGo said:

Certainly looked like an easy stolen base live. Not sure if the best throw possible gets him, he was dragging his cup across the bag 1.5 seconds before the ball got there. It was a massive jump. 

The throw was bad because of the batter was standing infront of the plate, interfering with the catcher.
Therefore no one can tell what would have happened, if the catcher can execute the throw properly. Even if this GC Tacos guy is confused by simple things.

12 hours ago, Baumer24 said:

Kind of reminds me a little bit of Cargo

Way too early for this but if you must...Odor is a better comparison.

25 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Please don't struggle to hit .200 for most of a season.  Please don't struggle to hit .200 for most of a season...

Pretty solid comparison though otherwise.

16 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Please don't struggle to hit .200 for most of a season.  Please don't struggle to hit .200 for most of a season...

Pretty solid comparison though otherwise.

Most definitely. 

I was thinking of their power/speed combo lefties as 2Bs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gryfter said:

I was referring to his swing not the player in general

This is not a "he sucks" post by any means as I know it's only been 3 games so far, but a pretty brutal 2 games now after a solid debut yesterday afternoon.  0-7 with 5 K's.  Hopefully it's just nerves or whatever and he adjusts quickly.  Would obviously be pretty disappointing if he ends up bombing in his first stint, although I know several prospects do from time to time.

Better days ahead, Isan.  Please.  😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

This is not a "he sucks" post by any means as I know it's only been 3 games so far, but a pretty brutal 2 games now after a solid debut yesterday afternoon.  0-7 with 5 K's.  Hopefully it's just nerves or whatever and he adjusts quickly.  Would obviously be pretty disappointing if he ends up bombing in his first stint, although I know several prospects do from time to time.

Better days ahead, Isan.  Please.  😀

Watching the games, it doesn’t seem to be a matter of poor plate discipline. Most of the strikeouts have actually been looking rather than chasing.

Not saying he’ll be a stud, but it’s not like a Brinson situation where he could never identify a breaking ball. Mets pitching staff is also pretty tough right now.

51 minutes ago, herschel said:

heads to coors next week, fwiw

If that doesn't snap him out of this, then it definitely would be time to be a bit concerned.

Anybody watch his last few games and have some insight?  I have him in a weekly and debating on what to do with him, hasn't been good after that homer but the last few games look better.

1 minute ago, boomzdaddy said:

Anybody watch his last few games and have some insight?  I have him in a weekly and debating on what to do with him, hasn't been good after that homer but the last few games look better.

He's getting his first taste of big league action.  Not everyone hits the ground running.  From what I've seen, he has not been swinging wildly or just going up hacking.  It seems he does have a plan but just has been fooled on some quality big league stuff and some of the Ks as a result have been looking rather than him just hacking, as mentioned.  It takes time for most guys his age to adjust.  IF you are relying on him this year, then I would not be expecting much out of him.  The Marlins have nothing to play for, so they are better served giving the kid every day ABs to see what they have.  That said, if he continues to struggle he'll get moved down into the 7th-8th spot (like Brinson) and that is a fantasy wasteland, especially on an NL club.  Long-term, I think this kid has a conducive swing that could get you 25+Hrs and 15+ steals, but the average may not be more than .270-.275 or so.  I could see him as a Jonathan Villar type, with less speed (perhaps the reverse hr/sb split).  Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

He's getting his first taste of big league action.  Not everyone hits the ground running.  From what I've seen, he has not been swinging wildly or just going up hacking.  It seems he does have a plan but just has been fooled on some quality big league stuff and some of the Ks as a result have been looking rather than him just hacking, as mentioned.  It takes time for most guys his age to adjust.  IF you are relying on him this year, then I would not be expecting much out of him.  The Marlins have nothing to play for, so they are better served giving the kid every day ABs to see what they have.  That said, if he continues to struggle he'll get moved down into the 7th-8th spot (like Brinson) and that is a fantasy wasteland, especially on an NL club.  Long-term, I think this kid has a conducive swing that could get you 25+Hrs and 15+ steals, but the average may not be more than .270-.275 or so.  I could see him as a Jonathan Villar type, with less speed (perhaps the reverse hr/sb split).  Just my two cents.

Thanks, I'm not expecting a rookie to ever hit the grounding but I am removed from Marlins baseball (like most) so wanted to get some insight on people that have actually watched.

Edited by boomzdaddy

38 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

From what I've seen, he has not been swinging wildly or just going up hacking.  

If anything, he's been TOO patient at times

• Like 1

A couple of the posts seem a bit harsh given that he's had two multi-hit games in a row.  Yes, the stats still look awful, but I'd give him through this week before we start any sort of sucks or smeller Odor comments.  The Dodgers are going to be rough, but then he gets to visit Coors afterwards to close out the week.  Also, he's only been up for a week now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

A couple of the posts seem a bit harsh given that he's had two multi-hit games in a row.  Yes, the stats still look awful, but I'd give him through this week before we start any sort of sucks or smeller Odor comments.  The Dodgers are going to be rough, but then he gets to visit Coors afterwards to close out the week.  Also, he's only been up for a week now.

Odor had some good years. Lol he just reminds me of Odor the way he plays. Don’t know how much he will help out teams this year, but yes, it’s super early.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Odor had some good years. Lol he just reminds me of Odor the way he plays. Don’t know how much he will help out teams this year, but yes, it’s super early.

He did indeed.  I took the smelly Odor comment as you comparing him to bad Odor.  If I was wrong, my bad.

Edited by KilloWertz

Diaz did bat leadoff today. 5 for last 25 over last week. Anybody still starting in deeper leagues?