KilloWertz

Aristides Aquino 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recently called up by the Reds after the Puig trade.  Has started the majority of games in RF since, and is now even batting cleanup.  An intriguing pickup given the nice season he was having in AAA (.299 Avs with 28 HR's).  Was it a real breakout?  We'll see, but I finally decided to take a flier on him tonight after seeing that the move up to cleanup was not just a 1 game thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Don’t know a lot about him, always looking for a nice pickup and drop when needed (Riley, and now Duvall)..lol

That's fair since I didn't know he existed until a few days ago. 😀

26 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

just picked him up. This kid looks like the real deal

Will he play consistently or be like VanMeter? Could use a consistent bat, since cant rely on VanMeter, with Bell playing righty-lefty match ups.

Just now, DarinB300 said:

Will he play consistently or be like VanMeter? Could use a consistent bat, since cant rely on VanMeter, with Bell playing righty-lefty match ups.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. But he's only sat out one game since being called up and is hitting in the heart of the order. Seems like theyre committed to playing him and it makes sense; the reds need to develop impact talent and this kid looks legit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

We'll have to wait and see I guess. But he's only sat out one game since being called up and is hitting in the heart of the order. Seems like theyre committed to playing him and it makes sense; the reds need to develop impact talent and this kid looks legit.

Yeah so difficult to say. Shoot, about a week ago VanMan was playing almost daily --even with Scooter and Puig around-- and very much producing, then Bell's odd tactics leave him pine bound when those guys clear out. But this kid has a swing, kinda crazy he was a minor league FA and re-signed by reds in Dec after anyone could have had him. Great year in minors this year, hopefully its lightening meeting bottle!

With that power in that park definitely worth a taking a gamble on.

• Like 2

This ball was hit as far to CF as Ive even seen a ball hit at Great American Ballpark. Absolutely blistered.

• Like 2

Bell is trying to play the analytics/stats game to give his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis.  That I can't blame him for, I guess, but for fantasy it really is going to be annoying if there is some kind of multi-player platoon going on with VanMeter, Aquino and Ervin.  And long term, at some point you have to see what you have in a guy and let him struggle against LHP/RHP, depending on the weakness, and let them see if they can figure it out.  This is especially true for a non-contending team.

• Like 2

Man this kid is showing real well right now. We're obviously dealing with a small sample size right now but his statcast metrics are absolutely insane.

25% Barrel -- current MLB qualified leader is Cruz with 13.4%

91 MPH Exit Velocity

18.9 Launch Angle 

Leading to .421 / .768 / .512 xBA/xSLG/xWOBA

What is most encouraging to me is his strikeout rate is actually less in the majors thus far than any minor league season since High A. 

He implemented a swing change* as well which can be an excellent sign of old projections now being inaccurate.

With what he's flashing, he needs to be picked up in most leagues to see if there is something here. 

“He looks like a Vladimir Guerrero when you watch him,” Ecker said. “I remember Ollie and I looking at him and just being amazed what that potential could look like. When I signed my contract here, even when I started to talk to the Reds, he was right at the top of my list. I could not wait to meet him. I always wanted to get my hands on him."

There was an immediate connection between Aquino and Ecker, the Reds' assistant hitting coach, in spring training. Ecker said he looked at years of video and analytics to understand where the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Aquino needed to improve. Aquino didn’t hesitate to implement changes in his swing.  

“One of the first things I talked to him about was how special I thought he could be,” Ecker said. “I think he’s a franchise-changing player. From there, it’s about showing him what the 98% do and if he was going to crack his own code, he'd have to be an outlier.

“I think being comfortable with players is telling the truth and then showing them what it looks like across a grander scale. It really opened his eyes. From there, I didn’t really have to do much. It was just his constant pursuit of wanting to figure out how he could move better, how he could game plan better, that whole picture.”

*Swing Change Article

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

Man this kid is showing real well right now. We're obviously dealing with a small sample size right now but his statcast metrics are absolutely insane.

25% Barrel -- current MLB qualified leader is Cruz with 13.4%

91 MPH Exit Velocity

18.9 Launch Angle 

Leading to .421 / .768 / .512 xBA/xSLG/xWOBA

What is most encouraging to me is his strikeout rate is actually less in the majors thus far than any minor league season since High A.

Its been like 17 plate appearances. None of those numbers really mean anything yet, although nobody can deny that he can hit the ball really hard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Its been like 17 plate appearances. None of those numbers really mean anything yet, although nobody can deny that he can hit the ball really hard.

Must've skipped over where I said obviously a small sample size, eh? Strikeout rate actually stabilizes at 60 PA based on Fangraphs' research so we will quickly close in on that so hopefully he keeps it "down" 🤞

The statistics are just fun, I'm most excited about the article I posted. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah so difficult to say. Shoot, about a week ago VanMan was playing almost daily --even with Scooter and Puig around-- and very much producing, then Bell's odd tactics leave him pine bound when those guys clear out. But this kid has a swing, kinda crazy he was a minor league FA and re-signed by reds in Dec after anyone could have had him. Great year in minors this year, hopefully its lightening meeting bottle!

They've seen a LOT of leftys lately, that's why he's playing so much. When a righty gets back in, VanMeter will be back. Right now they are trying to win. So the platoon is the direction they are going. 

Edited by kwolf68

3 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

They've seen a LOT of leftys lately, that's why he's playing so much. When a righty gets back in, VanMeter will be back. Right now they are trying to win. So the platoon is the direction they are going. 

He's faced righty starters since being called up and only sat against one of them, and Ervin has hardly started at all over the last couple of weeks.  Ervin sat the one game Aquino did as well, so I doubt there is an actual platoon.  I think it's highly likely Aquino is the starting RF the rest of the season unless he Bell a reason to bench him.  Obviously one could say the same for VanMeter, but still, there is no indication that Aquno is in a platoon so far by only sitting one game out of six.

His stance is bizarre. Its very open and his whole body basically faces the pitcher, then during the wind, he turns everything back towards the plate. Very different from last year.

EBXyHezWsAIXhNE?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Lil bit of Jay Buhner for me.

Edited by Gryfter

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RoadApple said:

This ball was hit as far to CF as Ive even seen a ball hit at Great American Ballpark. Absolutely blistered.

man I must be getting old, I watched that and thought....Cincy doesn't play in Riverfront anymore?  Shows how long its been since Cincy has been relevant in the baseball world

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Why?  They aren't making the playoffs.  They should be playing their rookies (BOTH this guy and VanMeter) everyday and not mess them up by jerking them in and out of line-ups and ruining their timing etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

He's faced righty starters since being called up and only sat against one of them, and Ervin has hardly started at all over the last couple of weeks.  Ervin sat the one game Aquino did as well, so I doubt there is an actual platoon.  I think it's highly likely Aquino is the starting RF the rest of the season unless he Bell a reason to bench him.  Obviously one could say the same for VanMeter, but still, there is no indication that Aquno is in a platoon so far by only sitting one game out of six.

Games - Opposing starters
August, 1 : Max Fried (L)
August, 2 : Kevin Gausman (R)  - VanMeter started as well
August, 3 : Dallas Keuchel (L)
August, 4 : Julio Teheran (R) - Did not start
August, 5 : Patrick Sandoval (L) - listed starter RHP Taylor Cole was the opener
August, 6 : Jose Suarez (L)

So since called up, in 6 Games, he started vs. 1 RHP

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1