KilloWertz

Aristides Aquino 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Posted (edited)

Any ROS projections for this outfielder? Seems solid. Maybe full time AB's if he keeps up.

Edited by lavaman

On 8/6/2019 at 5:46 PM, KilloWertz said:

That's fair since I didn't know he existed until a few days ago.¬†ūüėÄ

Count me in on that!

11 hours ago, JCD said:

Games - Opposing starters
August, 1 : Max Fried (L)
August, 2 : Kevin Gausman (R)  - VanMeter started as well
August, 3 : Dallas Keuchel (L)
August, 4 : Julio Teheran (R) - Did not start
August, 5 : Patrick Sandoval (L) - listed starter RHP Taylor Cole was the opener
August, 6 : Jose Suarez (L)

So since called up, in 6 Games, he started vs. 1 RHP

He started twice against RHP.  Just because Cole was an opener doesn't mean they did not set their lineup as if they were facing a righty.  They actually did because Winker batted leadoff, and he never does vs. LHP.

Obviously it's hard to predict what a lot of managers will due on a given day even if the obvious is staring them right in the face.  Still, this whole platoon thing is being pulled out of thin air as of right now.  There is nothing to support that there is one as he's only sat one game since being called up.  We'll see how things go, but until any sort of pattern emerges other than Aquino is that starting RF and cleanup hitter, one shouldn't assume there is a platoon or anything of the sort.  There's really no reason to act like there already is one.

Was a free agent in our 30 team league, was just picked up last Sunday but one of the better teams in the league. Feel really s---y that I missed on him now with Swanson and Verdugo on IR and various other players not hitting. Would have love to have gotten this guy, he rakes

• Like 1

He won't be in the lineup tomorrow against the righty. Homer and double off lefty tonight, two strike outs against righty. I don't know what his splits were in AAA, but it's very obvious that a lot of the Reds lineup choices are pure platoon in nature. Whatever the case, it looks as though they have some nice young talent over there either way.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

He won't be in the lineup tomorrow against the righty. Homer and double off lefty tonight, two strike outs against righty. I don't know what his splits were in AAA, but it's very obvious that a lot of the Reds lineup choices are pure platoon in nature. Whatever the case, it looks as though they have some nice young talent over there either way.

AAA L/R:

OPS 1.012/.984

AVG .313/.294

HR 8/20

I don't see a platoon here.

• Thanks 1

If it's a platoon, Price's assistants are hanging him out to dry then. 

'Man, this guy is a franchise-changing player! A ... guy who represents the weak share of a platoon.'

7 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

You don't have a crystal ball, so please stop talking like you know that it's a fact that there's a platoon.  I'm sorry if this is coming off harsh, but it's getting old already that you and another person continue to post on here that there is definitely a platoon when there isn't one.  He's started against 2 righties.  If there was a platoon, he wouldn't have started against two righties.  Now I hope he starts tonight for more than just because I own him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

You don't have a crystal ball, so please stop talking like you know that it's a fact that there's a platoon.  I'm sorry if this is coming off harsh, but it's getting old already that you and another person continue to post on here that there is definitely a platoon when there isn't one.  He's started against 2 righties.  If there was a platoon, he wouldn't have started against two righties.  Now I hope he starts tonight for more than just because I own him.

Here are the numbers in the minors this season

vs LHP: .313avg 1.012ops 8HR 20K in 83 ABs

vs RHP: .294avg .984ops 20HR 61K in 211 ABs

Almost identical HR per AB against RHP as LHP. Slightly higher K rate against RHP. Slightly lower OPS against RHP.

The stats tell me that he is more than capable against RHP, even if he is slightly better against LHP. He has a higher BB rate against RHP as well so while he hits slightly better against LHP he isn't having too much trouble taking pitches from RHP. 

I think the batting stance change was a key for him. He always had the power in that big 6"4 frame, but clearly he is getting a better read on pitches by opening things up!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Unfortunately, he's not wrong to be wary about a platoon. After the game last night. David Bell said he won't play everyday.....I'm holding him, however. I think he's worth starting whichever games he does play.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

Posted (edited)

David Bell has been one of the worst I've seen. Why wouldn't you give him full AB to see what you have? Nothing like deflating a young player by claiming he won't play every day after a big game lol. Plus, he is seriously impeding Winker's development with this platoon nonsense. Indirectly telling a young player to look over their shoulder at all times isn't the best way to develop them. It's not like the Reds are a team that is competing right now so they need to let them develop.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 5

Yeah Bell is awful. He gets way too cute with platoons and double moves. Manages every game like it’s game 7. He’s doing this with a Reds roster that has young guys who need everyday at bats to see what they have. He needs to have Winker, Senzel, and Aquino in the of every day with Ervin playing somewhat regularly. Then let Van Meter start the majority of games at 2nd base and hope he is a fixture there. 

As a Reds fan I’m pretty excited about what Aquino can be. He’s not the ordinary 25 year old, come out of nowhere type. He’s always had the frame and tools. The swing change has given him new life’s. I think he can be a big time power bat in right, with decent mobility and a strong arm. Of course he will swing through plenty pitches but that’s fine. 

• Like 3

Well, he's starting today, so that's one less bucket of cold water to throw on those who have him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rcarena said:

Well, he's starting today, so that's one less bucket of cold water to throw on those who have him. 

Good news.

• Like 3

I'll believe Bell's comments when I see it.  He now has started in 7 out of 8 games since he was called up, and I doubt that it will change just because David Bell was a little off after the Cubs forgot to use the lube last night when they beat his team 12-5.

At this point, I think it's just better to sit back and enjoy and then worry about playing time if it ever becomes an issue (like with VanMeter).  So far, it hasn't.  Hopefully he continues to hit and then Bell will forget what he said and write his name in out of habit.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I'll believe Bell's comments when I see it.  He now has started in 7 out of 8 games since he was called up, and I doubt that it will change just because David Bell was a little off after the Cubs forgot to use the lube last night when they beat his team 12-5.

At this point, I think it's just better to sit back and enjoy and then worry about playing time if it ever becomes an issue (like with VanMeter).  So far, it hasn't.  Hopefully he continues to hit and then Bell will forget what he said and write his name in out of habit.

This. Sit back and enjoy the ride! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

He won't be in the lineup tomorrow against the righty. Homer and double off lefty tonight, two strike outs against righty.

Yeah great call!

spacer.png

Edited by cs3
  • Like 2