KilloWertz

Aristides Aquino 2019 Outlook

He's some where in between the next George Foster and the first Aristedes The Punisher Acquino...believe or be Punished!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Love the haters on guys like this. Price is literally zero and even if he falls off a cliff he has still helped anyone who took a flyer on him. It's not like anyone spent a draft pick on this guy. It's just pure butthurt from missing out.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 3

The Punisher!

Punishing all pitchers at a town near you!

10 minutes ago, lavaman said:

The Punisher!

Punishing all pitchers at a town near you!

Haven’t the pitchers been punished enough this season?!?

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, absknicks said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. No plate discipline. Saw him miss multiple pitches by 3+ feet last night. 

Not gonna lie, I saw nearly the same thing. Saw him miss multiple fans in the bleachers by 3+ feet!

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Riding this Chris Shelton like hot streak before eventually dropping. 

Aquino tied Bobby Estalella for the fewest career games to record a three-homer performance in MLB history.  That's not exactly great company.  I'm trying to sell high on Aquino now.  

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Aquino tied Bobby Estalella for the fewest career games to record a three-homer performance in MLB history.  That's not exactly great company.  I'm trying to sell high on Aquino now.  

Can't fault anyone for trying to sell high on this guy, but what does him tying the record of a no namer for fastest to a 3 homer game have to do with anything?

By the way another bomb tonight.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is turning into a fascinating story between a kid that was non-tendered and a hitting coach that believed he could be a superstar (yet to be seen).

I'm a believer that once you have seen the tools, that means the tools exist. He's got a lot to prove but why couldn't he be the next Judgian impact? 

After his first home run, Aquino thanked God then Donnie Ecker (Red's assistant hitting coach): After his first two hitless games, Ecker tuned up some cell phone coverage and got Aquino on the field using a tool called the Line Drive Pro. With the help of that tool, he honed his swing to what they had worked on in Spring Training and all minor league season. He then hit his first hit and then his first home run. The rest is history.

Unless you are trading with a Taco -- it's best to strap in and hope for the moon. 

There will be an adjustment period in which the book is out and pitchers have his number. Then is the time to strike if you want to buy -- not now, dear God not now.

How he adjusts during this period will decide rather he will be a super star, role player, or AAAA. Thus far, he's historical.

Excellent article on the Athletic (which is well worth the subscription):

https://theathletic.com/1115258/2019/08/04/prepping-the-punisher-how-the-reds-honed-aristides-aquinos-swing/

Edited by Fenamo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

This is turning into a fascinating story between a kid that was non-tendered and a hitting coach that believed he could be a superstar (yet to be seen).

I'm a believer that once you have seen the tools, that means the tools exist. He's got a lot to prove but why couldn't he be the next Judgian impact? 

After his first home run, Aquino thanked God then Donnie Ecker (Red's assistant hitting coach): After his first two hitless games, Ecker tuned up some cell phone coverage and got Aquino on the field using a tool called the Line Drive Pro. With the help of that tool, he honed his swing to what they had worked on in Spring Training and all minor league season. He then hit his first hit and then his first home run. The rest is history.

Unless you are trading with a Taco -- it's best to strap in and hope for the moon. 

There will be an adjustment period in which the book is out and pitchers have his number. Then is the time to strike if you want to buy -- not now, dear God not now.

How he adjusts during this period will decide rather he will be a super star, role player, or AAAA. Thus far, he's historical.

Excellent article on the Athletic (which is well worth the subscription):

https://theathletic.com/1115258/2019/08/04/prepping-the-punisher-how-the-reds-honed-aristides-aquinos-swing/

Judge always had really good plate discipline. That's the biggest difference. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Judge always had really good plate discipline. That's the biggest difference. 

That’s a little strong, and I say that as a die-hard fan.  He has struggled with PD at multiple points.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Can't fault anyone for trying to sell high on this guy, but what does him tying the record of a no namer for fastest to a 3 homer game have to do with anything?

You do know he was making a joke.

• Like 2

[Aaron Judge derail removed.  The point at which you're prefixing your comment with "not to derail" is the point where you might want to take things to PM or another thread where your comment is on topic.]

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You do know he was making a joke.

Totally missed it.

Aquino has 8 HRs in 11 games... including his first MLB game in 2018, an 0-1 pinch hit appearance. His torrid run prompted me to look up the fastest HR pace to start a career.

That's Rhys Hoskins, who in 2017 broke a century-old record when he mashed 11 HRs in his first 18 games.

Aquino is on pace to punish that record! 

https://www.mlb.com/news/rhys-hoskins-fastest-to-11-hrs-in-mlb-history-c250896598

• Like 1

Well, "fastest pace to start a career" is sort of a nebulous statement depending on where you set the bar for "start".  I think Judge is the fastest to 50 and Ryan Howard is the fastest to 100.  18 games is sort of an arbitrary cutoff, and I seem to recall during that stretch that Hoskins was passing a bunch of different guys who held different records for a certain number of HR in a certain number of games...

I guess a better way to put it is  that "pace" is a ratio of HR to games played (or PA) and that everyone who starts off hot slows down at some point.  Aquino is certainly starting off on fire, but I don't think we can put him in the company of the guys who've done it for a longer period of time just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

Well, "fastest pace to start a career" is sort of a nebulous statement depending on where you set the bar for "start".  I think Judge is the fastest to 50 and Ryan Howard is the fastest to 100.  18 games is sort of an arbitrary cutoff, and I seem to recall during that stretch that Hoskins was passing a bunch of different guys who held different records for a certain number of HR in a certain number of games...

I guess a better way to put it is  that "pace" is a ratio of HR to games played (or PA) and that everyone who starts off hot slows down at some point.  Aquino is certainly starting off on fire, but I don't think we can put him in the company of the guys who've done it for a longer period of time just yet.

Agreed. A cool down is certain. Guy swings out of his shoes, its a matter of time before a whif-fest starts.

51 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Agreed. A cool down is certain. Guy swings out of his shoes, its a matter of time before a whif-fest starts.

He obviously won't stay this hot but he's a career 24% K guy, 25% post swing change. Plenty of other guys have come up from the minors with far worse whiff rates and had major success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bradwatson said:

He obviously won't stay this hot but he's a career 24% K guy, 25% post swing change. Plenty of other guys have come up from the minors with far worse whiff rates and had major success.

points to my avatar picture..

34 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

points to my avatar picture..

Ha. That guy was a beast for a while.