thebadferret

Terry McLaurin 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

He's a third round pick by Washington this year. Had a nice Combine with a Dash of 4.35. Former teammate with rookie QB Dwayne Haskins and when you take a look at the depth chart of Washington you won't be blown away by the talent they have.

Also, there's a lot of praise from training camp however you evaluate that:

Edited by thebadferret

52 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

when you take a look at the depth chart of Washington you won't be blown away by the talent they have.

I think that is the understatement of the year. This is a live shot of their training field:
Rankin_dump_fire.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I think that is the understatement of the year. This is a live shot of their training field:
Rankin_dump_fire.jpg

I tried to sound polite, but yes.....you're right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

I tried to sound polite, but yes.....you're right.

I don't know if you are German or their politeness has just rubbed off on you? I'm Dutch however and we are well-known for being blunt (and smoking them, of course).

• Haha 1

Looks like he has some pretty good talent but outside of 2014 it seems like rookie receivers always start slow and start to come on the second half of the season.  Not a guy to draft but certainly a guy to keep your eye on as the season goes on.

30 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I don't know if you are German or their politeness has just rubbed off on you? I'm Dutch however and we are well-known for being blunt (and smoking them, of course).

Yes I am. I know, that's the reason I often take the 2 hour drive to get to the netherlands :D

11 minutes ago, pittsports87 said:

Looks like he has some pretty good talent but outside of 2014 it seems like rookie receivers always start slow and start to come on the second half of the season.  Not a guy to draft but certainly a guy to keep your eye on as the season goes on.

I'm considering drafting either Dionte Johnson or McLaurin with one of my last picks, our league is rather deep though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thebadferret said:

"I'm considering drafting either Dionte Johnson or McLaurin with one of my last picks, our league is rather deep though."

Is your comment in relation to the league you have listed there in the gray area, that personal expression zone I guess? If it is & return yards count, you may want to check into Trey Quinn. There's a lot to like about McLaurin, nice blend of speed & physicality. But accordingly, needs to improve his ball skills, with a less than desirable catch radius. He was a senior in that Buckeye offense but was the 3rd or 4th option, netting just 35 receptions. His rapport with Haskins might be overstated. I do think he gets there, but not right out of the gate. Expecting that he's going to establish himself as their z-slot primary, which means facing everybody's best & becoming a viable fantasy option seems premature. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I figured that you were Dutch, I'm Dutch too born and raised, living here now for a few years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Is your comment in relation to the league you have listed there in the gray area, that personal expression zone I guess? If it is & return yards count, you may want to check into Trey Quinn. There's a lot to like about McLaurin, nice blend of speed & physicality. But accordingly, needs to improve his ball skills, with a less than desirable catch radius. He was a senior in that Buckeye offense but was the 3rd or 4th option, netting just 35 receptions. His rapport with Haskins might be overstated. I do think he gets there, but not right out of the gate. Expecting that he's going to establish himself as their z-slot primary, which means facing everybody's best & becoming a viable fantasy option seems premature. 

agreed that the haskins/mclaurin rapport is not an automatic, but i like the way haskins and mclaurin play together; and mclaurin was haskins' most efficient WR, plus he has the potential to be a TD machine.

• parris campbell 90 receptions / 1063 yards / 12 TDs
  • k.j. hill (jr.) 70 receptions / 885 yards / 6 TDs 
  • terry mclaurin 35 receptions / 701 yards / 11 TDs (12 games)
  • johnnie dixon (UDFA - texans) 42 receptions / 669 yards / 8 TDs
  • binjimen victor (jr.) 21 receptions / 354 yards / 4 TDs
  • austin mack (jr.) 26 receptions / 331 yards / 1 TD (8 games)

also agreed that unless it's dynasty or a keeper league, there's nothing to reach for here: 2020 will be a different mclaurin story.

14 hours ago, thebadferret said:

He's a third round pick by Washington this year. Had a nice Combine with a Dash of 4.35. Former teammate with rookie QB Dwayne Haskins and when you take a look at the depth chart of Washington you won't be blown away by the talent they have.

Also, there's a lot of praise from training camp however you evaluate that:

landon collins is the only washington player who's a reliable fantasy get this year..,

count on mclaurin in 2020.

• Like 1

Brett Kollman has him as a 9th round value in his fantasy WRs video on YouTube. He's a really technical talent evaluator and X's and O's guy. Not really known for his fantasy analysis but this ridiculously high grade for McLaurin really caught my eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Jet said:

Brett Kollman has him as a 9th round value in his fantasy WRs video on YouTube. He's a really technical talent evaluator and X's and O's guy. Not really known for his fantasy analysis but this ridiculously high grade for McLaurin really caught my eye.

He's going to be free, the receivers in front of him don't stay healthy all year either

Edited by CABLE87

Couple notes on him recently:

• The Washington Post reports third-round Redskins WR Terry McLaurin has been "showered with praise from coaches and teammates" in training camp.

Per reporter Kareem Copeland, McLaurin has "consistently made plays." A speed demon — McLaurin clocked a 4.35 40 at the Combine — McLaurin has so far displayed strong hands. Copeland bills him as an "intellectual player" trying to learn all three receiver spots. There are snaps and targets for the taking in Washington's bombed-out receiver corps.

• Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer considers third-round WR Terry McLaurin a "lock" to have an early season role.

McLaurin has shined at training camp, drawing praise from both coaches and teammates. He started Washington's preseason opener but was held without any catches. McLaurin can play all three receiver spots and has a strong connection with Dwayne Haskins. In a passing attack with targets up for grabs, McLaurin has some late-round upside.

• McLaurin is listed as the starting "X" receiver on the Redskins' first unofficial depth chart of training camp, Ben Standig of The Athletic reports.

A 2019 third-round pick, McLaurin thoroughly impressed the coaching staff during the offseason program, and Jay Gruden continues to heap praise on the rookie in camp. In addition to his tentative hold on a spot in the first-team offense, McLaurin has been attempting to learn all three wideout roles and likely will be one of the top gunners on the team at some point. Both points help his case for a decent workload to start his career, and the 6-foot, 208-pounder has the added benefit of having worked with rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins while at Ohio State.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I project redskins to be playing from behind a lot this year. He could be a september surprise. Not someone i reach for but as a wr5 in a 12 team league with wr3 upside. For you auction guys that like owning 3 first rounders he is a fine dollar store target.

• Like 1

I realize nobody wants to own a Redskins WR this year, but if you were forced to have one, who would it be, McLaurin? Looks like Doctson might get traded.

Someone has to catch passes right? Reed can’t and won’t stay healthy. Richardson the same. I like the possibility of Terry doing things 

1 minute ago, rizon said:

Someone has to catch passes right? Reed can’t and won’t stay healthy. Richardson the same. I like the possibility of Terry doing things 

Believe in the coming weeks many will be disappointed they're not in position to scoop him off waivers.

I just grabbed him at the expense of my kicker to buy a few days and think on this guy. Doctson being cut and the heaps of praise from the CS on Mclaurin has def piqued my interest. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Trey Quinn?????🤔

Mr. Irrelevent

27 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Trey Quinn?????🤔

Slot WR

My opinion is McLaurin has the chance to be the special WR the coaches believe him to be. 

9 minutes ago, Spina said:

Slot WR

My opinion is McLaurin has the chance to be the special WR the coaches believe him to be. 

Keenum throws to the slot the most in all of the NFL QB and Quinn getting raved review ... i'll grab Quinn before Mclaurin for this year

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spina said:

Slot WR

Hmmmmmmm

Trey is THE SLOT receiver

On 8/31/2019 at 1:53 PM, fingers said:

I just grabbed him at the expense of my kicker to buy a few days and think on this guy. Doctson being cut and the heaps of praise from the CS on Mclaurin has def piqued my interest. 

Did u decide if he's a keeper or not