Sign in to follow this  
AndrewBrah

Trade Advice (WHIR 100%)

I was offered Matt Boyd for Sonny Gray and Alex Wood by a reds fan.

This seems like a no brainer but just wanted some outside opinions. Wood has been solid in his first two starts but isn't a sure thing by any stretch. Gray I think will remain solid for the rest of the year. I have Kluber stashed and hopefully he will be back soon so I can think of it as Boyd and Kluber for Gray and Wood. I'm not missing anything here am I?

I think Gray is about equal to Boyd ROS but if you need a spot to activate Kluber I would go for it. But from value perspective I see it as a slight overpay.

46 minutes ago, AndrewBrah said:

I was offered Matt Boyd for Sonny Gray and Alex Wood by a reds fan.

This seems like a no brainer but just wanted some outside opinions. Wood has been solid in his first two starts but isn't a sure thing by any stretch. Gray I think will remain solid for the rest of the year. I have Kluber stashed and hopefully he will be back soon so I can think of it as Boyd and Kluber for Gray and Wood. I'm not missing anything here am I?

Is there no one else you can drop to activate Kluber? I don't see it as a no-brainer. Personally, I'd take the Gray-Wood side of the deal. Sure, Boyd racks up more Ks, but Gray is actually ranked higher on Yahoo than Boyd. And then to have to toss Wood into the deal. 

So my two questions would be...keeper or draft? And if you turned the deal down, who would you cut to activate Kluber?

It pains me to say this, but I would rank Gray > Boyd at this point.  I would not do the deal and just cut whatever scrub you have around as your worst player to activate Kluber when\if he returns.

19 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Is there no one else you can drop to activate Kluber? I don't see it as a no-brainer. Personally, I'd take the Gray-Wood side of the deal. Sure, Boyd racks up more Ks, but Gray is actually ranked higher on Yahoo than Boyd. And then to have to toss Wood into the deal. 

So my two questions would be...keeper or draft? And if you turned the deal down, who would you cut to activate Kluber?

this is a 10 team H2H redraft league. My bad, meant to put that in the OP. I don't really have anyone else to drop. Wood was my weakest link who I just picked up a few weeks ago.

My offense is completely booked, no bench spots available. Pitching staff is:

Sale

Clevinger

Minor

Gray

Soroka

Giolito

Wood

And then kluber on the IL.. seems like he will be back soonish hopefully

5 minutes ago, AndrewBrah said:

this is a 10 team H2H redraft league. My bad, meant to put that in the OP. I don't really have anyone else to drop. Wood was my weakest link who I just picked up a few weeks ago.

My offense is completely booked, no bench spots available. Pitching staff is:

Sale

Clevinger

Minor

Gray

Soroka

Giolito

Wood

And then kluber on the IL.. seems like he will be back soonish hopefully

Okay yeah, that changes things then. I'd go ahead and make the deal. You'll have to drop Wood when Klubot is activated anyway, Boyd gives you an edge in H2H over Gray in Ks. So I'd take it. 

When did Wood become Cy Young?  He is a mediocre SP at best who is injury prone and coming back from major injury playing on a bad team in a hitter's paradise. Just cut him loose imo if forced to.  And Kluber is no lock to return and no lock to pitch well when he does (he stunk before getting hurt and has been a slow starter in the past) and you might be better off seeing how he does before activating him.  Trading away the better pitcher does not make a lot of sense to me just for the likes of Alex Wood, but to each his own.

2 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

When did Wood become Cy Young?  He is a mediocre SP at best who is injury prone and coming back from major injury playing on a bad team in a hitter's paradise. Just cut him loose imo if forced to.  And Kluber is no lock to return and no lock to pitch well when he does (he stunk before getting hurt and has been a slow starter in the past) and you might be better off seeing how he does before activating him.  Trading away the better pitcher does not make a lot of sense to me just for the likes of Alex Wood, but to each his own.

Why the hyperbole? No one suggested Wood has become Cy Young. Without the context of league size, league format, or the makeup of his pitching staff, I assumed he'd have some scrub or replaceable SP/RP (like most of us do). Knowing context makes a difference. And calling Gray the better pitcher is subjective, and if he is, he's barely the better pitcher. Not knowing his h2h cats, I'm just going by the traditional five. Wins are the same, WHIP roughly the same. Gray has the leg up on ERA to this point, and Boyd easily outclasses Gray in Ks. ERA can go up or down, but we generally expect Ks to be consistent. So knowing that, I'd go Boyd over Gray. 

4 hours ago, secretagentman said:

His stats over the last few years say the opposite.

On 8/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Thenewwildone8 said:

Boyd is the worst player in the deal so easy pass. 

Why?

Boyd much better K/9 then Gray

Their xFIP are a push

On 8/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, HOOTIE said:

Why?

Boyd much better K/9 then Gray

Their xFIP are a push

Look at their ERA’s though. Gray is also on the better team. Talent wise it’s a toss-up but Gray is better to have in fantasy.

Because of your pitching rotation and the fact you can't drop anyone I would go ahead and make the trade.