Sign in to follow this  
Flyman75

Trade Bregman for any of these guys?

12-team, traditional 5x5 roto, keep 8, keepers tagged with rounds. 

So after finishing 2nd in 2016 and winning in 2017 and 2018 in my main league, this year has been a struggle. So instead of stripping my team down and making a run at 2nd this year (the 1st place team is running away with it), I've decided to take a step back, reload my roster with good keepers, and come back loaded in 2020. 

Next year is going to be a loaded draft because of guys whose keeper statuses are running out and because teams have traded for multiple 1st rd and 2nd rd and 3rd rd players (we can only keep one player in each of the first four rounds...can't keep two guys with 1st rd tags or two guys with 2nd rd tags, etc). 

So I'm considering trading Alex Bregman and his 2nd rd tag (can be kept in 2020 and 2021) to see if I can find better value later on. I know he's a stud, but even as good as he's been this year, he's not returning a profit. And that's fine for a player drafted in the 2nd round, but with keepers, we're all looking for value and profit, correct? 

Just taking an early look at things and knowing the league, I'm guessing 6 players will be kept in the first round (maybe 7) and 5 players will be kept in the 2nd rd (maybe 6-7). Guys that are going back into the draft for sure: Yelich, Bellinger, Acuna, Hoskins, Olson, Devers, Albies, Suarez, Moustakas, Puig, Khrush, ERosario, JDM, Pham, Judge, Ozuna, Severino, Nola.

So I've got a team who is asking me about Bregs. On his roster, he has:

Yoan Moncada...10th rd tag, can be kept in 2020-2021.

Austin Meadows...10th rd, 2020-2021.

Blake Snell...12th rd, 2020 only.

Ramon Laureano...15th rd, 2020-2021.

Austin Riley...FA pickup, so 23rd rd or later, 2020-21. I listed him, but I don't see anyway I'd deal for him. Those Ks are downright scary. 

Hunter Dozier...FA pickup, 23rd rd or later, 2020-21. 

Do any of those guys tip the needle for you? Or is this a pass and keep Bregman in the 2nd rd? 

Not for Bregman.  In keepers you want value but you also want top players\quality.  I have no problem keeping Bregman at round 2.    If you can get someone close in quality for say round 5-7 prices or better that would be fine, but not for the likes of the players you listed.  The risk\reward is not there imo.

That said, if you could acquire Laureano on the cheap, I would look into seeing what it would take (but again not for Bregman). 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Not for Bregman.  In keepers you want value but you also want top players\quality.  I have no problem keeping Bregman at round 2.    If you can get someone close in quality for say round 5-7 prices or better that would be fine, but not for the likes of the players you listed.  The risk\reward is not there imo.

That said, if you could acquire Laureano on the cheap, I would look into seeing what it would take (but again not for Bregman). 

Moncada is the 60th ranked player in our league, which would make him, theoretically, the last pick of the 5th rd. That's despite not playing since July 30. As a 10th rd keeper, that would give some profit margin. 

If I was going to agree to a move for any of those guys, it would be Moncada. I wanted to see if there were any other thoughts on those guys, and Moncada. 

20 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Moncada is the 60th ranked player in our league, which would make him, theoretically, the last pick of the 5th rd. That's despite not playing since July 30. As a 10th rd keeper, that would give some profit margin. 

If I was going to agree to a move for any of those guys, it would be Moncada. I wanted to see if there were any other thoughts on those guys, and Moncada. 

The problem with Moncada is that he has not proven he can hit anything before this year (and he has been around for a few years).  Given that, add in that the ball is juiced this year.  So are his numbers the result of his figuring it out, the result of a juiced ball or some combo of both?  Will he regress in 2020 as such and if so how much?  Any player that has had his numbers jump way up from the norm this season is suspect if MLB as is expected corrects the juiced ball situation next season.  So there is no way I risk trading Bregman for Moncada.  Simply do not trust his numbers to be repeatable next season and you do not risk losing someone like Bregmen on players like that imo just to save yourself a few rounds on one keeper selection.

My 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

Hang onto Bregs, move some mt for the other teams offense though.