Sign in to follow this  
Grome21

Pitcher keeper Rank??

6x6 qs

ranking these pitchers for next year as keepers.

Sale Berrios Bauer??

That is tough.  Sale has been pretty lousy this year.  Bauer has been mediocre and is on a bad team now.  Berrios does not have a long track record of being a top tier SP.    That said, I probably go Berrios, Bauer, Sale now. 

4 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

isn't their round value a minor detail you left out?...lol

A lot of keeper leagues allow you to keep any X number of players, so I would assume that is the case here unless the OP stated otherwise.

20 minutes ago, Grome21 said:

6x6 qs

ranking these pitchers for next year as keepers.

Sale Berrios Bauer??

In a vaccum,

1. 1) Sale (he'll get back his groove next year) otherwise the Red Sox need to fire their whole medical staff for advising the upper management that Sale is a good bet physically to keep pitching as an Ace 
  2. 2) Berrios - pitches is a very weak division
  3. 3) Bauer - just too wild over too many years

2 minutes ago, cashflow said:

In a vaccum,

1. 1) Sale (he'll get back his groove next year) otherwise the Red Sox need to fire their whole medical staff for advising the upper management that Sale is a good bet physically to keep pitching as an Ace 
  2. 2) Berrios - pitches is a very weak division
  3. 3) Bauer - just too wild over too many years

One can certainly debate the value of Sale, but he has a lot of risk associated with him at this point.  Pitchers are always risky, but if I owned Sale, I would deal him if possible for anything close to decent value to someone who still believes and let someone else take on that risk.  The Red Sox are no Oracles at Delphi when it comes to picking free agents either.  They have had their share of really bad signings, including Sandoval and Nunez just to name a few.  Not saying Sale is anywhere near that, but just because they signed him to a long term deal does not mean they know what they are doing\can read the tea leaves any more than any other MLB team imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

One can certainly debate the value of Sale, but he has a lot of risk associated with him at this point.  Pitchers are always risky, but if I owned Sale, I would deal him if possible for anything close to decent value to someone who still believes and let someone else take on that risk.  The Red Sox are no Oracles at Delphi when it comes to picking free agents either.  They have had their share of really bad signings, including Sandoval and Nunez just to name a few.  Not saying Sale is anywhere near that, but just because they signed him to a long term deal does not mean they know what they are doing\can read the tea leaves any more than any other MLB team imo.

Agreed! But he is getting a hefty pay raise as of next year. Going from $15M to $29M on average per season for 5 years.

In the context of the initial question, I would not place Berrios or Bauer over Sale IMO despite "a lot of risk associated with him".

2 minutes ago, cashflow said:

Agreed! But he is getting a hefty pay raise as of next year. Going from $15M to $29M on average per season for 5 years.

In the context of the initial question, I would not place Berrios or Bauer over Sale IMO despite "a lot of risk associated with him".

One can debate it.  I look at risk as part of the keeper equation.  Sale is about as risky as it gets now.  Only other player at that high a rank that may be a riskier long term keeper is Jose Ramirez and unlike Sale, he has actually managed to turn it around to a degree. Look at it this way, in a redraft for 2020, no way I draft Sale in the top 5-6 rounds and would bypass for someone else.  In a keeper, I am looking to make a deal to someone who believes and is willing to pay near full price if possible as such.

2 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

One can debate it.  I look at risk as part of the keeper equation.  Sale is about as risky as it gets now.  Only other player at that high a rank that may be a riskier long term keeper is Jose Ramirez and unlike Sale, he has actually managed to turn it around to a degree. Look at it this way, in a redraft for 2020, no way I draft Sale in the top 5-6 rounds and would bypass for someone else.  In a keeper, I am looking to make a deal to someone who believes and is willing to pay near full price if possible as such.

I guess that where my thought differs a little...if Sale is available as of the 5th round, I will be scooping it up (no pun intended ;) )

I had Sale earlier on this season and sold him for a much older pitcher in Verlander but I did so, to place myself in a position to win this year...I did not care for the keeper status

3 minutes ago, cashflow said:

I guess that where my thought differs a little...if Sale is available as of the 5th round, I will be scooping it up (no pun intended ;) )

I had Sale earlier on this season and sold him for a much older pitcher in Verlander but I did so, to place myself in a position to win this year...I did not care for the keeper status

Like I said...you believe...I am skeptical.  I do not trust pitchers as a general rule.  I will not take a risk on someone like that in the early rounds and pick someone else that his highly rated and let another owner roll the dice to see if they can get 2nd round value out of a 5th round pick with the downside that they get 20+ round value.  I rather just take the safe 5th round player.  Fantasy leagues are rarely won in the first few rounds, but they are often lost there because of early picks that blow up.

27 minutes ago, cashflow said:

Now you bring another interesting name Verlander. He’s a lot older but still doesn’t look like he’s falling. If I could land Verlander as a keeper would he be above the other 3 for next year. Or is he old where the risk for next year would be greater then Berrios Sale Bauer?

well he is 37, he'll be 38 next year, I have to believe the velocity will diminish a little...this year's hard hit rate is the highest he has ever had (by a mile)...but in the context of your question, I would still keep Verlander before Berrios and Bauer but from the looks of things, others disagree which is totally fine :)

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

isn't their round value a minor detail you left out?...lol

Rounds don’t matter. It’s 6x6 roto

8 keepers no round penalty. My current keepers would be.

Betts

Lindor

Baez

Jd

Rendon

Gary

Degrom

so trying to choose between Berrios Sale and Bauer as my 8th keeper.

Tonight’s Red Sox game is a perfect example of the upside from Sale. 

• Like 1

Sale, Bauer, Berrios

only Bauer over Berrios now that he's on the Reds. their pitching coach rules

On 8/8/2019 at 1:21 PM, secretagentman said:

Sale has been pretty lousy this year. 

ERA wise yea.

But true pitching, no luck involved, not really.

2nd highest K/9 this year.

His xFIP this year matches his career xFIP

Bad luck with a 18% hr/fb ratio, 11.8 career

.312 babip unlucky too